Thread: Medicines

Medicines

Namaste!
    I read only few posts of this discussion on vegetarian, so this post may repeated... I am vegeterian but I heard that in some medicines (In allopathy) there is littel amount of non-vegeterian content then it is allowed to take such medicines as we don't even know the ingredients of medicines not every but only some or few medicines contain....
    Pranam

Re: Medicines

Namaste SOL,

Quote Originally Posted by Soul of Light View Post
    I read only few posts of this discussion on vegetarian, so this post may repeated... I am vegeterian but I heard that in some medicines (In allopathy) there is littel amount of non-vegeterian content then it is allowed to take such medicines as we don't even know the ingredients of medicines not every but only some or few medicines contain....
    Don't be to fussy over these things. Always remember, "Hindu Dharma asks you to go on middle path". If you are not killing yourself, if you are not taking it for satisfying your taste buds but taking it as a medicine, it is OK. It is your body which is not exactly "you". So, if this organism needs something for its survival, give it. It is "you" who have to be a vegetarian (by your purity of thoughts) and this "you" is certainly not the body. Yes, if you have any other alternative, it is better to avoid it once you have doubts.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Vannakkam Soul of Light: It really depends on how strict you are as a vegetarian. Some vegetarians search out which medicines are like this and find alternatives to use. Others don't bother, and still others are unaware. I think the fact that you are aware of it means some.

Perhaps the most common example is gelatin capsules, as gelatin is of animal origin.

Hinduism has no definitive rules on it, so usually its left up to the individual.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Devotee and Eastern mind!
    Thanx for posting your views and opinions, I'll take care of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Perhaps the most common example is gelatin capsules, as gelatin is of animal origin.
    yes sir, it is right... One time my mother only take the main small capsules or powder removing that gelatin but it is for other reason, but as devotee said purity of thought is more important as we don't want to hurt animals....
    Pranam

Namaste,

Thank you, Light, for posting this thread. It allowed Devotee ji's post, which cleared up a worry I had about a medicine I need to take on occasion. Thank you Devotee ji, and EM ji too for reinforcing it.

~Pranam-s
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

You are welcome anandinii ji, I am glad that my post helps to get insight from Devotee ji and EM ji...
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Thread Information