Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly things meat eaters say

Silly things meat eaters say

Thought this would be a bit of fun as EM-ji suggested. In this thread, write down silly things meat eaters say, usually defending eating meat.

Here's mine:
    Quote Originally Posted by Odion View Post
    "but we need to eat the cows, because they are causing global warming. If we don't eat them, we'll be overrun with them."

Yours? C'mon, we've all heard them...

Re: Silly things meat eaters say

"vegetarians please kill and eat something that has a chance to run and escape (like chicken) instead of plants which can't."

lol

Plants are life too, you're killing them.
    I guess he doesn't realize the animals he's eating need a lot more vegetables to grow, be killed and be turned into meat.

Not to mention they also eat plants, therefore, they're double the monster we are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

'I didn't climb to the top of the xxxxxx food chain to eat carrots' - Ron White

"I have to eat meat because of the cold climate"

"If you don't eat them, they die for nothing!"

When I was 14, I remember joining forces with a vegetarian friend at school and doing a blatant meat-eating refutal at school. At the end of the day a christian boy exclaimed: "It's really daunting that when we stop to look at it we see that men are behaving like the devil..."

Militancy against ignorance is very important indeed.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/reso...rArgument.html

Vannakkam:

As much as its fun to hear or repeat silly or foolish statements, it really doesn't do a lot of good to elicit change in others. In reality, I think its much better to focus on the positives of vegetarianism, or even just vegetables, grains, legumes etc. As a method of humour, I admire it. A lot of comedy involves quite wise people playing the role of the fool.

Psychologically, nobody appreciates being called a fool. Usually as a strategy it just backfires. The victim gets there dander up, emotion rules, and the situation either remains the same or worsens. Back when I was growing up a meat-eater, even then Mother harped about the virtues of vegetables. "It'll put hair on your chest," was one of the more humorous, but there were others such as 'eating your carrots will give you better eyesight."

I remember taking a dal dish to a pot luck at school, and being asked for the recipe. (Not much of a recipe, but still it was for some, it was probably their first introduction to lentils.) We used to josh back and forth over the virtues om me being a vegetable sitting with all these carnivores. My youngest daughter is currently working in an old style meat and potatoes restaurant, and she is appalled by the number of people who won't eat their vegetables. That's a more realistic start to have the slow change.

Similarly, with our faith, focusing on the positives of our faith rather than the negatives of the Abrahamics seems to do more good in the long run. I often think that more is actually accomplished on an individual level. I know I partially turned one fundamentalist, as I heard her say through a grapevine, "Hinduism can't be all that bad. I know a good one." One at a time isn't a bad start.

There is a section of the Tirukkural that talks about speaking over the head of others. Basically Tiruvalluvar says, "He who talks beyond the level of fools becomes the fool."

Sorry for the ramble.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    "I have to eat meat because of the cold climate"

²

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam:

As much as its fun to hear or repeat silly or foolish statements, it really doesn't do a lot of good to elicit change in others. In reality, I think its much better to focus on the positives of vegetarianism, or even just vegetables, grains, legumes etc. As a method of humour, I admire it. A lot of comedy involves quite wise people playing the role of the fool.

Psychologically, nobody appreciates being called a fool. Usually as a strategy it just backfires. The victim gets there dander up, emotion rules, and the situation either remains the same or worsens. Back when I was growing up a meat-eater, even then Mother harped about the virtues of vegetables. "It'll put hair on your chest," was one of the more humorous, but there were others such as 'eating your carrots will give you better eyesight."

I remember taking a dal dish to a pot luck at school, and being asked for the recipe. (Not much of a recipe, but still it was for some, it was probably their first introduction to lentils.) We used to josh back and forth over the virtues om me being a vegetable sitting with all these carnivores. My youngest daughter is currently working in an old style meat and potatoes restaurant, and she is appalled by the number of people who won't eat their vegetables. That's a more realistic start to have the slow change.

Similarly, with our faith, focusing on the positives of our faith rather than the negatives of the Abrahamics seems to do more good in the long run. I often think that more is actually accomplished on an individual level. I know I partially turned one fundamentalist, as I heard her say through a grapevine, "Hinduism can't be all that bad. I know a good one." One at a time isn't a bad start.

There is a section of the Tirukkural that talks about speaking over the head of others. Basically Tiruvalluvar says, "He who talks beyond the level of fools becomes the fool."

Sorry for the ramble.

Aum Namasivaya
    EM activated his father mode...

Ok, EM, we can do one thing, we can quote each fallacy said by meat-eaters and then expose why it's a fallacy.

For example:

Quote Originally Posted by Odion View Post
    "If you don't eat them, they die for nothing!"
    People who actually believe this don't know that animals don't spontaneously appear in thin air but instead are artificially reproduced and live in bad conditions in industrial facilities until the day they are cruelly slaughtered so their muscles are served as a meal.

Thread Information