Thread: rudrakshas?

rudrakshas?

Namaste,

So I'd like to have some advice, first of all, how you know rudrakshas are real, not fake? [heard this can happen] And advice for buying would be nice.
    Also I'd like to know how you can purify them if you don't have temple anywhere near? [Anything simple, please.]
    How to take care of them?

Any more advice?

Thank you very much in advance.

Have a nice day,
    ~Alice
    Siva Yogaswami used to say, "It takes courage to be happy all the time."

Re: rudrakshas?

I don't know much about them. I've heard that you should not wear rudraksha if you are not vegetarian or drink alcohol. They should also be taken off during sexual intercourse.

Hopefully someone else can answer your questions.

Vannakkam SA:

The first thing you should do with any mala is count the beads. If it's not 108, then the source is in doubt. There are different sizes and a few different varieties of related trees. There is also debate on fake or real in this regard. I would think most sources on line would be pretty good. The fake ones would probably show up in India where someone is just trying to eke out a living.

Often the fake ones are the single ones with a trident or an aum within them. Apparently a good carver can make these fairly easily. Some people say only the five faced one is the 'true' rudraksha, and again, a carver can do pretty neat things with that.

I've been to the grove of rudraksha in Hawaii and the tree and fruit itself is very interesting as well.

I'd research the internet a bit on it. Best wishes in finding authenticity.

Here's a site on the fake ones. http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/fakerudraksha.htm

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 19 July 2010 at 09:04 AM.

I will warn you that Ebay is also riddled with fakes. I would sincerely reccomend buying them from some place which is completely trustworthy.

Himalayan academy has very reasonable ones which are the real deal.

http://www.minimela.com/index.php?ma...40lfnttm5ocmt7

I wear my mala all over, because our home is almost completely meat free it's not an issue for me to wear it a long time.

I use it to pray several times a day because using my fingers ultimately distracts from focus on Siva.

Lately, it's been showing some sign of wear, it began to unwind a bit. Earlier this year I was going to replace it...but in the weeks it was taking to find the one in my heart I was still using my old one. It began to smell of white linen so strongly that I decided it was not time to replace.

But, wearing does wear on the mala, so if you can't afford to buy a new one very often or you love the one you have and you pray as much as I do. Then it might be a good idea to not wear it all the time.

I purchased two matching sterling silver gau many years ago from Nepal which has my linga and two small little notes with the Gayatri Mantra and the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra written in sanskrit inside.

This, I can wear every day without worrying about it getting wet or damaged. That way my mala isn't been worn down from my daily activities.

This might be another option.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

namast

If you wish to be knowledgaable about the mālā of rudrākṣa you wish to wear then
    I would take the time to look into the śiva mahāpurāṇa. It is a wealth of information regarding this matter.

Another is rudrākṣajābala upaniṣad. The key to this upanisad is offered in its name: rudra + akṣa +jā +bāla
    The strength (bala) or purity (bāla) born or produced ( ja or jā) by the eye (akṣa) or a seed ( akṣa ) of which mālā's (rosaries )are made of rudra. We know this as rudrākṣa.
    Hence this upaniṣad informs us about the types and use of rudrākṣa.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Anyone (except those who drink & eat meat) can wear the Rudrashas. And they can wear it at any time (yes at any time)! The water that falls down from the Rudrasha when you bath or shower is equal to the Gange River water.

PS: I will try to translate and post the Rudrasha Iyal from Tamil here, this lays down laws of Rudrashas.

PPS: Those who can read Tamil can read the Rudrasha Iyal (from the Saiva Vinavidai) here: http://www.shaivam.org/siddhanta/shp...tm#tturudrakka

Thread Information