Thread: Etymology of the rishi's

Threaded View

Etymology of the rishi's

Hari Om
    ~~~~~~

Namaste,

It is interesting to note that the rsi's ( rishi's) of the Veda are brahmavit ( knower's of Brahman). They are known as mantra-seers or mantra-drashtarah. What they see is within their own consciousness. They have been able to cognize the veda within the akshara ( from a= not + ksi = to destroy or perish) or the Absolute; others discuss this as avyakta (some write avakyartha - from a = not and vak =spoken) or the unmanifest, pure awareness, pure consciousness.

What is of interest to me, is the names of the rishi's and the significance there of… just as a black smith, perhaps named Jim, came to be known as Jim Smith, like that the actions or qualities of person is then given to that person in name. Same with the rishi's we have been most fortunate to read.

If I may let me offer a few names I find delightful and ask you to consider the rishi's , muni's, swami's you have read, and offer their names and root forms or origin of their names [if you choose to participate].

One of my favorites - Vishwamitra, the seer of gayatri in the Rk Ved ( Rig Veda) is from Vis or to enter or pervade, Visva some say is the SELF in the individual form, and others say Visva means universe + mitra or friend. Combined we have the friend that pervades all, friend of the universe.

Valmilki - the author of the Ramayana, is from 'Valmika' meaning an ant-hill. Valmilki's original name was Ratnakar, and had a dubious career ( a robber of sorts). He was fortunate to correct his ways by meeting with some enlightened beings and to receive a mantra to assist him in his unfoldment…this mantra was RAMA.. Ratnakar said, I cannot pronounce this Rama, please give me something different. So, the sages gave him the mantra Mara - note this is Rama backwards MA-RA. So, as the story goes, he gets absorbed in Samadhi, stays in one spot for a long time and ants build a hill around him...being totally absorbed in bliss, it did not concern him. When the sages return, they ask him to come out - He comes out fully enlightened (jivanmukti) and they give him his new name Valmilki from 'Valmika' meaning an ant-hill. Valmilki , the author of the Ramayana.

Varuna - in the Manduka Upanishad is the rishi that takes the form of a frog (manduka) and sings the praises of Omkara pranava.
    This Varuna is from the root uru which is wide. He is the owner of all infinities, water and my favorite aksha (space). His dwelling is the vast or uru-kshaya and his vision is wide or uru chashasam. He is also found as the deva in the Rig Veda and is hymned as uru-shamsa. This shamsa is perfect expression or vac , speech. So He is the wide expression of speech, the Infinite. He is known to remove the narrowness of the individual; this is accomplished by atma-vidya or the knowledge of the SELF.

Angiras - this is a family of rishi's. Agni is also known as Angira. Another approach is the rishi Angiras as he has identified himself with the essence (rasa) of all parts (angas) or limbs, Brahma ( the essence of all ). This is found in the Chandogya Upanishad I.2.10, where Brahman is seen as Prana, the essence of life-force.
    As Angira it has the quality of flame (tejas), of brilliance or glowing like a coal. So thre rishi Angiras has the quality of luminious consciousness, enlightened, full of brilliance, awake within his SELF.

If there is interest, we can do additional rishi's - Brihaspiti, Ayasya, etc.
    Does anyone care to offer the root-words for Vasistha?

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 19 April 2007 at 10:41 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information