Thread: Mantra japa or nama japa for me?

Hybrid View

Mantra japa or nama japa for me?

Namaste.

Maybe it's because my mind is not disciplined, I cannot seem to concentrate or derive anything (feeling) from the mantra Om Namo Bhagavate Vāsudevāya when I do japa. Certainly I know it's meaning, but I don't "connect" with it. I know that properly a mantra should be given by a guru, but I do not have a guru, and most likely never will. I chose Om Namo Bhagavate Vāsudevāya because I've read that is the one for Vaishnavas to use, that it brings you close to Krishna.

On the other hand, I read that when one is not initiated, one should not chant mantra japa, but rather nama japa. If I understood what I read, should I not use Om Namo Bhagavate Vāsudevāya or Om Sri Krishnaya Namaha, or another mantra? Rather, I should just chant "Krishna, Krishna, Krishna..." or "Govinda, Govinda, Govinda..." or "Rāma, Rāma, Rāma... " on my mālā? If so, I think even that's very nice in itself.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: Mantra japa or nama japa for me?

Hari Om!

There are several schools of thought on this. I'll offer my own humble suggestions with the hope that you will find some clarity and comfort within.

Speaking from my own experience, it took some time to feel a connection to the mantra and further, the bond between deity and myself through mantra. Not sure how long you've been practicing with said mantra, but concentration does come over time. Feeling may. I might suggest sticking with it, but again it's only my opinion.

Then again, another school of thought WOULD be to change things up and take a new mantra. While I'm not totally for this, I'm also not totally against it either. My bias would have you reciting "Rama Rama Rama" but you must go with what resonates.

Perhaps you could do both? Could one be the catalyst for the other?

You state that you don't have a guru and most likely never will. Is this a personal choice? A preference? If not, please be open to one coming to you knowing that the God that you worship may in fact be your first guru (just a thought) but will certainly lead you to the correct source if it is to be. No harm in asking for guidance however.

On a final note, I admire that you include japa in your sadhana. Many are just "too busy" or may have some other obstacle that keeps them from committing from practicing. Hari Om my friend!

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Speaking from my own experience, it took some time to feel a connection to the mantra and further, the bond between deity and myself through mantra. Not sure how long you've been practicing with said mantra, but concentration does come over time. Feeling may. I might suggest sticking with it, but again it's only my opinion.
    I see, maybe I am expecting too much too soon from the mantra. I feel connected to Krishna Himself, though I wish I knew Him better. I feel very connected to Lord Narasimha. I feel like He is my spiritual "bodyguard".

Then again, another school of thought WOULD be to change things up and take a new mantra. While I'm not totally for this, I'm also not totally against it either. My bias would have you reciting "Rama Rama Rama" but you must go with what resonates.

Perhaps you could do both? Could one be the catalyst for the other?
    I have thought about trying a different one or two to see which one, as you say, resonates. I have thought about Om Sri Krishnaya namaha and Om Sri Krishna sharanam mama. Though I know the second one is a mantra of Swaminarayan, I feel like He truly is my refuge, safety and sanctuary. I see it as running to Him and letting Him envelope me in His love and protection in all things. And maybe therein lies my affinity and affection for Lord Narasimha.

You state that you don't have a guru and most likely never will. Is this a personal choice? A preference? If not, please be open to one coming to you knowing that the God that you worship may in fact be your first guru (just a thought) but will certainly lead you to the correct source if it is to be. No harm in asking for guidance however.
    I think it would be great to have a guru. It's a matter of opportunity. I live in any area where there is only one temple, about 20 miles from me. When I could get there, they are conducting services. Then the temple closes. I don't know if there's a financial aspect, which is a hardship for me. But aside from that, I don't even know how to go about finding a guru.

On a final note, I admire that you include japa in your sadhana. Many are just "too busy" or may have some other obstacle that keeps them from committing from practicing. Hari Om my friend!

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!
    Thanks... and here I feel like I'm not doing enough, properly, and now I hear some people don't do it at all!

Well, another mystery of the universe solved. There is nothing wrong with the Om Namo Bhagavate Vāsudevāya mantra for me... it is me. Or rather was, has been... whatever verb tense you like... all along. It is my breathing and rhythm that's been off. I also used a melodic chant this time. By focusing on those and bringing them together, though my mind did wander from time to time (to be expected, I suppose), I found it easier to bring myself back by and focus on japa. It was a pleasant feeling. I know this will take practice.

Hari Om!

Just a suggestion, but perhaps a brief pranayama session before japa - say 5 minutes or so. This will help with concentration and your breathing during jap. If able and wanting to take it a bit further, one could do a light yoga session before the pranayama, say 5 - 10 minutes in length. In combination this would help to center, calm and help one to reflect.

All the best to you.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Thanks, I think you are right. I never thought of that. Well, that's not entirely true... I had it backwards. After my japa tonight I sat for a few minutes, eyes closed, breathing easily and letting my mind empty (which isn't hard ). It was a nice effect. I have to do this regularly.

Thread Information