Thread: How can I come to love Vishnu?

How can I come to love Vishnu?

Hello All,

I am struggling to free myself of the emotional and spiritual baggage of Christianity. For me, it has proved a spiritually unhealthy experience. I have read about a number of other faiths, and I have been particularly impressed with Hinduism and its emphasis on God's non-judgemental love.

While I am also attracted to Shakti, I have read from many witnesses about their love of Krishna or Radha-Krishna. Is he Vishnu's most beloved avatar? How can I come to place my love and trust in Vishnu/Krishna? What practices can I follow. All I learned from Christianity was to fear and distrust God.

I appreciate ANY advice.
    Last edited by PatrickMB; 10 October 2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: misspelling
    Om Radha Krishnaya Namaha

Re: How can I come to love Vishnu?

Namasté PatrickMB

Have you noticed how your doubt ebbs and wanes? How your belief is dependant upon your mood?

praNAma

mana
    Last edited by Mana; 10 October 2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Spelling

I think an attraction to one form of devotion is either there or not there. You can't force yourself to be devoted to one aspect of God if you feel an attraction for another. I don't think we make the choice, I think God chooses us.

I can't explain how this happened, but because I play guitar, I have a picture of Maa Saraswati near where I play. I began to play and learn much better with Her there than I did with teachers. Little by little I felt myself drawn to Sri Krishna. I believe it was Maa Saraswati who introduced me and Lord Krishna to each other.

Yet I wavered, for a time considering myself Smarta, mainly because I didn't want to eliminate other deities from devotion. But then I came to realize those deities are Krishna. I believe He let me explore my feelings, but then I think He called me to Himself.

It's true that Sri Sri Radha-Krishna and Sri Rama probably have the most devotees. Why? I can't tell you. Someone more knowledgeable than I can. But I can tell you that God in any of His or Her forms is far from jealous and angry.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namaste

A first step - to understand KRshNa's own words, is to read the Bhagavad Gita. He specifically mentions what He likes in a devotee in Chap 2,3,4, 12, 18 etc. Also distinguishes daivi svabhAv (divine nature) from asuri svabhav.

The straightforward official way to 'develop Love of God' per ShAstra is of course shravaNam kirtanam vishnoh...

In short, hear about Lord - study Bhagvad Gita and BhAgvatam,
    praying to Lord KRshNa directly and chanting the MahAmantra meaningfully and consciously with the attitude "O BhagvAn Shri KRshNa Hari, please make me pure and eligible to serve You."

Navadha Bhakti : 9 forms of practicing devotion , as instructed by Narada Muni and Prahlad Maharaj

SB 7.5.23-24:śrī-prahrāda uvāca
    śravaṇaḿ kīrtanaḿ viṣṇoḥ
    smaraṇaḿ pāda-sevanam
    arcanaḿ vandanaḿ dāsyaḿ
    sakhyam ātma-nivedanam

iti puḿsārpitā viṣṇau
    bhaktiś cen nava-lakṣaṇā
    kriyeta bhagavaty addhā
    tan manye 'dhītam uttamam

Prahlāda Mahārāja said: Hearing and chanting about the transcendental holy name, form, qualities, paraphernalia and pastimes of Lord Viṣṇu, remembering them, serving the lotus feet of the Lord, offering the Lord respectful worship with sixteen types of paraphernalia, offering prayers to the Lord, becoming His servant, considering the Lord one's best friend, and surrendering everything unto Him (in other words, serving Him with the body, mind and words) — these nine processes are accepted as pure devotional service. One who has dedicated his life to the service of Kṛṣṇa through these nine methods should be understood to be the most learned person, for he has acquired complete knowledge.

---
    1. ShravaNam - hearing the glories and instructions of Hari KathA
    2. KIrtanam - chanting, singing, reciting, relating Hari Katha (names, glories, truths)
    3. smaraNam - remembrance or thinking of Shri Hari , His pastimes and all about Him (this word is also used to refer to the esoteric process of automatic yog with His pastimes)
    4. vandanam - prayer and glorification
    5. pada sevanam - serving His Lotus Feet (this word is packed with meaning )
    6. archanam - Deity Worship
    7. dAsyam - service, servitude - development of ; towards Bhagvan and His devotees
    8. sakhyam - considering the Lord one's best friend
    9. atma nivedanam surrendering everything (AtmA) unto Him (in other words, serving Him with the body, mind and words)

This thread may help.
    ---

2. If you have been originally attracted to Devi, reciting the Durga Kavach Stotra meaningfully everyday is one possibility. One has to understand the meaning of the stotra. Not sure if English translations are available. I might be able to make a rough translation. Maa is very compassionate, and She might bring KRshNa to you or make you attracted to Him. Of course it may not happen overnight. It also depends on what is going on spiritually within the person.

It was composed by YudhishThir before the Mahabharat war.

Shri Durga Kavach is like a warm flow of protection from Maa - physical, emotional and spiritual. It is upto the sAdhak to focus on the spiritual. She is mother after all. Interesting to note is that the Gopis observed KAtyayani vrat (KAtyAyani = a form of DurgA) for a season with a wish to be closer to KRshNa. Each Gopi was thinking like this unaware of what other gopis were thinking.

In any case, the Bhagavad Gita study is a must to understand KRshNa's mind, and what He would like. Love of God is selfless, to please KRshNa rather than us, but the bliss bounces back on us.

Hare KRshNa
    praNAm
    Last edited by smaranam; 20 October 2011 at 11:51 AM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

the Saint Louis Hindu temple has arranged a 2 day (hour long) talk by Stephen Knapp on 22nd and 23rd on vedic scriptures. The talk will be held in a private school auditorium in the afternoons.

I shall mail the details of free talks if you are interested. You may get some clarifications to some of those lingering and tantalizing relics from the past. As for mysellf it is advaita that offers all peace. Namste
    Last edited by charitra; 11 October 2011 at 09:35 AM.

Jai Sri Krsna !

Read Baghavad Gita, and read or see the lila (story about Krsna sport) of Krsna, then Krsna's feminime aspect is Radha.

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMB View Post
    Hello All,

I am struggling to free myself of the emotional and spiritual baggage of Christianity. For me, it has proved a spiritually unhealthy experience. I have read about a number of other faiths, and I have been particularly impressed with Hinduism and its emphasis on God's non-judgemental love.

While I am also attracted to Shakti, I have read from many witnesses about their love of Krishna or Radha-Krishna. Is he Vishnu's most beloved avatar? How can I come to place my love and trust in Vishnu/Krishna? What practices can I follow. All I learned from Christianity was to fear and distrust God.

I appreciate ANY advice.
    Just keep Krishna in mind is my advice. Just think of the form of God. Do not speculate outside of that. The meaning in the form, which is the very form itself, is all that matters here. This is actual practice. Theory is not a part of it.

This is what I think, anyway.
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

Thread Information