Thread: Books About Shiva and Vedanta

Books About Shiva and Vedanta

Namaste.

Over the next few months, I shall be reviewing one book/week in this thread.

These are based on books I have read and loved, so I thought I would share them all.

This week, I start with this book:

Speaking of Siva - A.K. Ramanujan.

Speaking of Siva is a selection of vacanas or free-verse sayings from the Virasaiva religious movement, dedicated to Siva as the supreme god. Written by four major saints, the greatest exponents of this poetic form, between the tenth and twelfth centuries, they are passionate lyrical expressions of the search for an unpredictable and spontaneous spiritual vision of 'now'. Here, yogic and tantric symbols, riddles and enigmas subvert the language of ordinary experience, as references to night and day, sex and family relationships take on new mystical meanings. These intense poems of personal devotion to a single deity also question traditional belief systems, customs, superstitions, image worship and even moral strictures, in verse that speaks to all men and women regardless of class and caste.
    Speaking of Siva is one of my personal favourites of all time.

The Vachana poetry is so beautiful, moving and very expressive. It inspires Bhakti of Lord Shiva and the way the poems are written can lead one into some nice meditative states on the Lord.

The poetry is very personal and each poet refers to Lord Shiva in the way they see Him - Allama Prabhu refers to Lord Shiva as 'The Lord of Caves', Basavanna sees Shiva as the 'Lord Of The Meeting Rivers' while Mahadeviakka refers to Him as Cennamallikarjuna or 'Lord White as Jasmine'.

A.K.Ramanujan's 'Speaking of Siva' is a collection of 'vacanas' or free-verse lyrics written by four major saints (Basavanna,Devara Dasimayya,Allama Prabhu and Mahadeviyakka) of the great 'bhakti 'protest movement which originated in the 10th CAD.Composed in Kannada, a Dravidian language spoken in the state of Karnataka in India.
    The poems are the lyrical expression s of love for the god Siva.They mirror the urge to bypass tradition and ritual, to concentrate on the subject rather than the object of worships, and to express kinship with all living things in moving terms. Passionate, personal , fiercely monotheistic, these verses possess an appeal which is timeless and universal.
    Veerasaivas or Lingayats were protesters against Hinduism of their time, but also against Jainism , the powerful competitor to Hinduism.They however shared with Jainism and Buddhism the doctrine of ahimsa or non-violence towards all creation, the abhorrence of animal sacrifice and ritual orthodoxy.
    Here are some poems from the book:

"If they see breasts and long hair coming,
    they call it woman,
    if beard and whiskers,
    they call it man:
    but, look,
    the self that hovers in between is neither man
    nor woman O Ramanatha!" -Devara Dasimayya

"Outside the city limits
    A temple.
    In the temple look a hermit woman.
    In the woman’s hand
    A needle,
    At the needle’s end
    The fourteen worlds.
    O Lord of the Caves,
    I saw an ant
    Devour whole
    The woman,the needle,
    The fourteen worlds." - Allama Prabhu

"When
    like a hailstone crystal
    like a waxwork image
    the flesh melts in pleasure
    how can I tell you?

The waters of joy
    broke the banks
    and ran out of my eyes.

I touched and joined
    my lord of the meeting rivers.

How can I talk to anyone
    of that?" - Basavanna

^^^^ one of my personal favourite poems in the book - pure Shiva Bhakti right there!!!

"Till the fruit is ripe inside
    the skin will not fall off
    I'd a feeling it would hurt you
    if I displayed the body's seals of love
    O brother, don't tease me
    needlessly.I 'm given entire
    into the hands of my lord
    white as jasmine " - Mahadeviyakka

"The rich
    will make temples for Siva.
    What shall I ,
    a poor man,
    do?

My legs are pillars,
    the body the shrine,
    the head a cupola
    of gold.

Listen, O lord of the meeting rivers,
    things standing shall fall,
    but the moving ever shall stay." - Basavanna

...but I am giving too much away!

Please read the book for yourself and drink deeply of the love and richness these poems embody.

Next week - Myth= Mithya - Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik

http://www.amazon.com/MYTH-MITHYA-ebook/dp/B008ET3WKO

Ahh....I love the Indian Penguin Classics!!!

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 24 August 2013 at 10:03 PM.

Re: Books About Shiva and Vedanta

Namaste.

I realise it hasn't been a week yet, but this forum is very slow and I am at a loose end currently.

I've changed my mind about reviewing Myth=Mithya...for now. It's a very nice book and all, but it doesn't really fit to the subject at hand. I may review it towards the end of this thread, but others have/need to be done first.

Besides that, as I was going to sleep last night, a book came into my mind that just screamed 'do me next'. lol

So, we have #1 - Speaking of Siva.

#2 book just has to be this one:

Lord Siva and His Worship - Swami Shivananda.

Here is the book in PDF form:
    http://www.dlshq.org/download/lordsiva.pdf

Review: This is truly the 'Ultimate Shiva Guide'.

It contains everything you would ever want to know about Lord Shiva, written in easy to understand language in Swami Shivananda's usual respectful, honest and congenial way.

I was given this book when I was in my early 20's and read it from cover to cover so many times, the covers were almost falling off.

There were only 2 books I eventually kept from the Divine Life Society - Lord Shiva and His Worship and Bhajanavali (so I could learn all of the Ashtakams).

Publisher's Note:
    This is a most valuable and instructive book for the aspirants, particularly for the devotees of Lord Siva. It contains fifteen chapters. It is full of instructions on practical Sadhana for attaining Siva-Tattva or God-realisation. The chapters will speak for themselves. The secrets of Siva-Tandava, Sakti-Yoga, Siva-Tattva, etc., are very nicely presented. The translation of the Saiva Upanishads is a beautiful addition. The lives of Siva Acharyas, the Bhaktas and the Nayanars are inspiring and soul-stirring. A study of their lives will make one's life sublime and holy. Up to this time, there has been no such presentation on this subject. The philosophical portion is highly illuminating and helpful to the readers. The book contains the essence of all Saiva Puranas, such as Periya Puranam, Linga Puranam, Siva Parakrama and Tiruvilayadal Puranam. Its value is enhanced by the addition of some important Siva-Stotras with English translation. The book is written in a most lucid and clear style. It must be studied by all religious-minded persons, as it is of solid worth from the spiritual point of view.
    Indeed! This book is a veritable encyclopedia on Lord Shiva and I love it so much!

"Blessed Aspirants,

Lord Siva is the God of Love. His Grace is boundless. He is the Saviour and Guru. He is the Beloved of Uma. He is Satyam, Sivam, Subham, Sundaram, Kantam. He is the Supreme Light that shines in your heart.

Meditate on His Form. Hear His Lilas. Repeat His Mantra 'Om Namah Sivaya'. Study Siva Purana. Do His worship daily. Behold Him in all names and forms. He will bless you with His Vision." - Swami Shivananda

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste.

My next book up for review is this one:

While The Gods Play - Alain Danielou

According to the early writings of the Shaiva tradition--still alive in India and dating back at least 6,000 years--the arbitrary ideologies and moralistic religions of modern society signal the last days of humanity heading toward destruction.

This prediction is only a fragment of the vast knowledge of Shaiva wisdom, author Alain Danielou as assimilated and reviewed essential concepts of the Shaiva philosophy and its predictions. Clearly expressed in the ancient teachings, these concepts are in accord with, yet surpass, the boldest scientific speculations about consciousness, time, the nature of life and matter, and the history and destiny of the human race.

Inherent in this body of knowledge is an understanding of the cycles of creation and destruction which, in conjunction with astronomical phases, determine the life span of the species. Since 1939, humankind has been in the twilight of the Kali Yuga age, or at the end of a cycle. The impending cataclysm, Danielou explains, is brought on by our own errors, and its date will be determined by our present and future actions.

While the Gods Play examines how the visionaries of ancient times defined our rose in creation. It explains why and how we have abandoned this role, and reflects on what action can be taken to consciously and creatively influence our own destiny. Included are chapters on The Religion of Nature and The Religion of the City, The Transmigrant Body, Sexual Rites, the Castes, Sacrifice, Magical Powers, Monastic Orders, and Forestalling the Final Day.(less)
    Book in PDF Format:
    http://www.2shared.com/document/4PUB..._Shaiva_O.html

Not much to say about this book that hasn't been stated. It was yet another book I read as a young adult and thought I would share.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste.

We are up to the 4th book now (I have decided to do 10).

I am moving briefly away from the books I have read years ago, to the more recent books/studies in Shaivism.

So, the #4 spot goes to:

Sri Vijnana Bhairava Tantra - The Ascent - Swami Satyasangananda Saraswati

The Vijnana Bhairava Tantra is a tome I should have studied years ago and never did.

The many references to it in contemporary Shaivism and Kashmir Shaivism (Trika School) left me 'out in the dark' when I realised I had no clue what anybody was talking about, so I decided to study it and I am so glad that I did! It gets included here.

The Tantra is about one of my favourite topics in Hinduism - Bhairava. Seriously though, the Tantra is about one of my favourite topics in Hinduism - Dharana, Dhyana and concentration in meditation.

The most important chapter in the book is 'Shiva is Revealed by Shakti'. Until I surrendered my soul to the Divine Mother, Lord Shiva was an abstract concept.

The VBT is based on dialogues between Shiva (the Master Yogi and Meditator) and His Consort, Parvati (the curious but very proficient adept).

It is a treatise on Pranayama, Dharana, Mind Control and meditation in general and can lead to very high states of awareness.

I have read it through twice, but time to do it again and make study notes this time. A 'must have' book for the serious Shaiva.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste.

Let's do the 5th book now and get half-way before I take a break from doing this for a week or three.

#5 book for the serious Shiva Devotee:

From Dualism to Non-Dualism - A Study of the Evolution of Saivite Thought - Moti Lal Pundit.

Yet another book I have only just read within the past year and loved every single page - every word!

I have read other works by Moti Lal Pundit before (especially regarding Buddhism) but this is by far, his best work!

I could try to explain what the book is about, but that would take too long. So, I shall just leave this here:

http://www.exoticindiaart.com/book/d...hought-IHJ027/

I hope you all enjoy this book as much as I did!

Books 6-10 coming soon. Watch this space.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste.

Okay, going a little off track now with my next book, but if it wasn't for this one, my love for Lord Shiva would have never been made complete:

#6 - Saundarya Lahari - Sri Sankaracharya

The Sonudarya-Lahari occupies a unique place among the works associated with the Tantric systems of philosophy and Sakti worship.
    Adi Sankara studied Kundalini from Gurupadacharya the author of a very important work,"Subhayodaya".Having studied,practiced and internalised the principles contained in this work,Sri Sankaracharya received special instructions based upon the personal experience of his guru.And adding his own personal experience to the above,he composed this famous work,consiting of hundred slokas - the first forty one of these form "Ananda Lahari" and the rest forming the "Soundarya Lahari".

In this work,commentaries of several great scholars have been compiled and translated into English.All the "Prayogas" are illustrated with yantras.
    I first read the Saundarya Lahari when I was about 18/19.

At the time, I was studying Kundalini Yoga - reading books by Gopi Krishna, Arthur Avalon and just about everybody else who wrote about it.

Then, people told me that I should read this book - thus I did.

At the time, I dismissed it and it meant nothing to me. I couldn't see the point.

That was to come back and bite me some 30 years later, when I recalled it, revised what I had read and decided to re-read it with a fresh, but mature mind.

I am so glad I did that. There is no Shiva without Shakti and no Shakti without Shiva.

Now, this book is included in to 'top 10' and if this were in order (which it's not) it would probably take #1 spot.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thread Information