Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TEMPLES - Wishlist

Re: TEMPLES - Wishlist

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste Smaranam Ji,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    Can we see the real Saraswati river?What is the Badri fruit?
    Namaste

The Saraswati is visible today at its ugam (origin, source) only, as a narrow waterfall or a rapid. It feels very auspicious in Her sAnidhya (association) with faint fresh water droplets and mist being thrown towards you. There is a little Mandir (temple) of Saraswati Ma among those rocks.

However the actual river bed dried years ago as we know.

The Badri is a wild berry -- jujubee. Lakshmi Devi manifested as the Badri / Badari forest to give shade to Her Lord NArAyaN, hence known as Badri-vishAl (vast tree shade), and Her nAth is BadrinAth i.e. NArAyaN aka BadrinArAyaN in context.

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya
    Last edited by smaranam; 29 November 2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: there - typo
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namaste Ji,

Thanks for the explanation.
    My Vaishnava relatives have BadriNarayana Perumal's photo in their altar although they haven't visited Badri Kshetra.What the signifance of Sri Badrinath based on Vaishnava traditions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    What the signifance of Sri Badrinath based on Vaishnava traditions?
    Namaste Ram

Significance
    BadrinAth is NArAyaN. He lives in Badrivan to show mankind the austere path as Nar-NArAyaN Rshi. TapascharyA. To conquer and be the master of the mind, senses.

"Jahan BadrinArAyaN rahate hain, us dhAm ko vaikunTh kehete hain."
    The abode in which BadrinArAyaN lives is called VaikunTh.

It is a moksha-sthAn. Place of liberation.

He calls devotees who have lost attachments with the world. Dhruv, Uddhav are examples. When Dhruv Maharaj performed tapascharyA (penance) at BadrinAth after fulfilling his duties as king, he was given Dhruva-pad -- the unmoving steady state. The pole star is Dhruva tArA, planet of Dhruva. It does not move, other constellations move around it.

At the time of Shri KRshNa's disappearance, Uddhav was 'losing it' when he realized that the Lord is leaving this earth. Therefore, KRshNa consoled him and explained a few things. Then the Lord asked Uddhav to go to BadrinAth and meditate.

It is said that in the winter months, when BadrinAth dhAm is shut down for all people including the temple pujaris (except the Indian army), Uddhavji performs the daily [nitya] pUjA for BadrinArAyaN. Adi ShankarAchArya did a lot to revive the place. Shankaracharya, MadhvAchArya and VallabhAchArya went to pay respects to and take blessings from VedaVyAs in his VyAs gufA (cave) -- each in their times.

You should go there some time. The temple bells start ringing a little before 4 am, and VishNusahasranAma is played. Then the abhishek.
    In the evening you hear the melodious Aarati of BadrinArAyaN along with His pancha ratna :

pavana manda sugandha sheetala hema mandira shobhitam
    nikat gangA beheta nirmal, shri badrinAtha vishwambaram...

-----
    I shall make a seperate thread on BadrinAth-Kedarnath.
    Last edited by smaranam; 01 December 2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: hear

Namaste Smaranam Ji,

Thanks so much.Probably, this is why in this Kshetra we can see Sri Maha Vishnu in Yoga/Meditation posture.Alas,I stay in the south and I've never been to the Northern country.I do hope to visit many holy places.

Do temples in the north follow the Agamas?

Last edited by Ram11; 02 December 2014 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Small correction.

Do temples in the north follow the Agamas?
    Of course. North, South, East or West. The pancharAtriki paddhatI and the vaishNav-Agama pave the ground for building temples of VishNu, installing the Deity (prAN-prathishThA) and conducting worship (archanA, pUjA) of the archa-vigraha (Deity). They are the manuals.

Jai BadrivishAl (who bestowed causeless mercy on the King VishAl)

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Of course. North, South, East or West. The pancharAtriki paddhatI and the vaishNav-Agama pave the ground for building temples of VishNu, installing the Deity (prAN-prathishThA) and conducting worship (archanA, pUjA) of the archa-vigraha (Deity). They are the manuals.

Jai BadrivishAl (who bestowed causeless mercy on the King VishAl)

Namaste Ji,

I thought that only in Tamil Nadu,Andhra Pradesh & Karnataka where the temples are associated with Sri Vaishnava Sampradaya they follow the Pancaratra Agama.One notable exception is the temple of Sri Venkateshwara in Tirumala Tirupati where the ancient Vaikhanasa Agama is followed.

I did read that Gaudiya Vaishnavas perform worship based on the Pancharatra System but in one place I read that Srila Prabhupada told his disciples to concentrate more on chanting the Maha Mantra rather than involving excessively in Agamic rituals.
    Also,I feel that in the Northern country Bhakti and singing bhajans are stressed in contrast to the complex worship system which is the central aspect of religious activities in the south.

Are there any other Agamas for worship of Sriman Narayana?

May I know who is King Vishal?

Namaste

Are there any other Agamas for worship of Sriman Narayana?

Agama are classified as
    1. Shaiva Agama
    2. ShAkta Agama
    3. VaishNav Agama
    3.1 pancharAtra Agama (five-nights - shAstra explained by Lord VishNu to 5 Beings including NArad
    in 5 "nights")
    3.2 vaikhanasha Agama (Lord Tirupati's worship follows this -- by Vaikhanasha brAmhaNas of the KRshNa Yajurved shAkhA (branch))

Although rooted deep into Ved-VedAnta, the pancharAtra is classified as Agama because of its extensive manual-like nature which explains a vast subject from worship methods, temples, to dharma, karma, philosophy, tattva (spiritual principals), Supreme as VAsudev (from which emerge chaturvyuha -- 4 whorls of Lotus : VAsudev, SankarshaN, Pradyumna, Aniruddha who later in Dwapar became Yadav family.)

The section of conversation between the Lord and DevaRshi NArad is the NArad PancharAtra -- from which GauDiya VaishNav have learned a lot in particular.

PancharAtra says VAsudev is what VedAnta calls Brahman' and jivas are parts-extensions of Shri, Lakshmi, hence in pure state will always reside by,beside and near NArAyaN (VAsudev). Thus, moksha means returning to your purest state in sAnidhya (proximity) of BhagavAn. At His Lotus Feet.

If you click on the title "3.1 PancharAtra Agama" above, the Wikipedia page explains some things and lists the saMhitAs contained in this Agama.

Yes, most VishNu temples, including ones built by GauDiya VaishNav are based on PancharAtra paddhati (Agama).

om namo bhagavae vAsudevAya ~

May I know who is King Vishal?
    Here is the story from Varaha PurAN

There was a King called VishAl RAjA (king) who lost all kingdom in battle -- the other party cheated and looted him apparently. So he went to Badrivan where Lord BadrinAth was performing tapascharyA (penance) to show this way to the world.

VishAl RAjA started meditating / performing penance and Shri BadrinAth was pleased. Ask him what boon would you like?

VishAl Raja said "I want my kingdom back" to which BadrinAth (NArAyaN) did not encourage much saying "You are on the wrong path in the wrong place. People who come here only desire moksha (liberation from birth-death cycles)."
    The king said "No, Lord, I want to rule. If you accept my prayers, please give me my kingdom back."

The Lord , although the Highest hitachintak (well-wisher), being very compassionate and kind-hearted fulfills the wish of whoever takes His shelter or approaches Him. He is so generous that He gives His name, appends the devotee's name to His and makes the devotee well-known.

Radha-KRshNa, Nara-NArAyaN. Similarly, this valley of BadrinAth DhAm came to be known as VishAlpuri , and the Lord adopted the name BadrivishAl.

As we know, anything BhagavAn does is well-thought out and has profound implications beyond the visible mundane. VishAl means large, magnanimous, large-hearted. There is no one more VishAl than the Lord Himself. So His dhAm is rightly called VishAlpuri, the vast land of the magnanimous.

Also, Lakshmi manifesting as the Badri forest gave "VishAl" shade (large ample shade) to Her meditating Lord through the spread-out branches of the Badri trees.

Jai BadrivishAl _/\_
    Jai BadrinAth DhAm _/\_

Thread Information