Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hindu/Indian Fiction?

Re: Hindu/Indian Fiction?

I would'nt do that.Banker a sanskrit scholar and an expert on the itihasas and puranas who is writng LOTR style novel versions of the Itihasas.Every penny possible needs to go to Ashok Banker to support his efforts.

Somebody seems to have uploaded a pdf of theamerican edition of the first book if his Ramayana series.Mind you,this edition has been dusowned by the author vecause it has been heavily edited to suit western sensibilities.The first few chapters seem untouched though.Sample his writing,its top class.Besides,he offers the first book of each series cheap,one dollar I think.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/36115316/3...nce-of-Ayodhya
    Last edited by Omkara; 13 November 2012 at 12:14 AM.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

You have been so vigorously uploading books, so I thought you wouldn't mind.

Yeah,but not in this case.I dont have them in an uploadable format anyway.I put up one book posted by someone else.Read a few chapters and tell me what you think
    Last edited by Omkara; 13 November 2012 at 04:55 AM.
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

A Shaivite library

All right, I'll check him out and buy a subscription later when I have some money. Is he really a Sanskrit scholar?

He has studied the puranas and itihasas in the original sanskrit and his krishna coriolis and mahabharata series are basically embellished translations adapted into novels.His Ramayana series takes a lot of creative liberties with the original canon though.

Om shrImAtrE namah

A Shaivite library

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste all,

This may sound like an awkward request, but hopefully this will be taken in the right context: I'm looking for fiction out there that has Hindu and/or Indian themes to it. I tried reading The Life of Pi recently but it just didn't grab me at all, as I got bored of it a few chapters in. (And the fact that there's a movie coming out based on it that looks pretentious doesn't help.)

I'm looking for something that would be a definite page-turner that adheres to Hindu/Indian themes...and something in English of course. Anyone on this forum have any ideas? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Namaste Webimpulse,
    I could suggest something which might at least hold your interest like a fictional book would... have you considered reading the Ramayana or Mahabharata? I read and enjoyed Ramesh Menon's translation of the Ramayana a few years ago, and am currently in the middle of the translation of the Mahabharata written by Krishna Dharma - which I also think is excellent. As far as Hindu/Indian themes, you won't find anything better.
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

Where there is Truth there is Victory

"The mind is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not discreetly how to use it." - Michel de Montaigne

~Om Namah Shivay~

Vannakkam: The Guru by Manley P. Hall is another that comes to mind. Short and simple.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Giza View Post
    I read and enjoyed Ramesh Menon's translation of the Ramayana a few years ago,
    This is the version I read and I also enjoyed very much. It is beautifully written.
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    All right, I'll check him out and buy a subscription later when I have some money. Is he really a Sanskrit scholar?
    I read a few pages of Prince of Dharma and I didn't like it that much.

Namasté,

I have a few recommendations and one anti-recommendation to add to this thread.

My first exposure to Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni's writing was through a collection of short stories called Arranged Marriage. As the title suggests, the work is a kaleidoscope of perspectives, giving voice to many different women as they embark upon the joys, trials, pains and delights of married life.

The readers following this thread may wish to consider branching into biography, travel and food writing, as well, as there are some truly lovely books out there, in which writers reveal themselves with all of the poise and grace of well-planned fictional characters. Shoba Narayan's Monsoon Diary: A Memoir With Recipes and Chitrita Banerji's The Hour of the Goddess: Memories of Women, Food and Ritual in Bengal are both cozy, fireside sort of books. (The latter's Eating India is also wonderful for times that you crave different tastes, sights, and smells but can't yet afford a plane ticket...)

Now for the bad: I finally got my hands on a copy of Thundergod, which may be the first novel about Indra I have ever seen. Unfortunately, it has all of the flaws of Meluha, and then some; I'm afraid I rather tore it apart in my (admittedly-biased) review. Suffice it to say that you might want to give this one a pass.
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from BÄá¹£kalamantra Upaniá¹£ad

Thread Information