Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suitable Scripture

Suitable Scripture

Namaste all!
    I know this question may ask many time but I have to ask it for myself in detail
    I am a devotee of Lord Shiva, and I have read only a Bhagavat geeta, I want to read more scriptures which will increase my devotion, knowledge and tell me what I have to do in this spiritual path..
    So please tell me about, which scripture I have to prefer to read next.. Any suggestion is welcome althought I am a true devotee of lord shiva but I also like to chant names of lord vishnu or krishna, and I am pleased by their words, so please suggest any vaishnavism, shaivism scriptures or vedas which are best for me....
    Thanking in advance...
    Regards

Re: Suitable Scripture

Quote Originally Posted by Soul of Light View Post
    Namaste all!
    I know this question may ask many time but I have to ask it for myself in detail
    I am a devotee of Lord Shiva, and I have read only a Bhagavat geeta, I want to read more scriptures which will increase my devotion, knowledge and tell me what I have to do in this spiritual path..
    So please tell me about, which scripture I have to prefer to read next.. Any suggestion is welcome althought I am a true devotee of lord shiva but I also like to chant names of lord vishnu or krishna, and I am pleased by their words, so please suggest any vaishnavism, shaivism scriptures or vedas which are best for me....
    Thanking in advance...
    Regards
    Pranam SoulOfLight...

When someone asks such question to me, I point finger towards Bhagavata Purana, the greatest treasure of BrahmaVidya which is even superior than Bhagavad Gita. In this Kaliyuga, there's nothing great other than this Bhagavata Purana. It is stated that even by reading one shloka of this purana daily, one gets liberated in an eternal brahman after his death. In that Bhagavata Purana also, I highly recommend you to read "Uddhava Gita- Last discourse of shri krishna" which explains Bhagavad Gita clearly, which is complete in itself, which is the essence of all vedanta, there bhagavan krishna assures that whoever reads his conversation with uddhava comes to him for sure. So this is my kind request to you to read Uddhava Gita. Whoever reads it, doesn't remain hungry for knowledge. I say this because I have experienced this. Such a beautiful conversation between Uddhava and Krishna, I daily drink that nectar flowing through the mouth of krishna.
    Hari On!

Namaskar

Read the Upanishads - they depict great philosophical wisdom. Read Shiva Sutras and other such texts which will teach you true nature of Shiva. One other text that I will advise is Ashtavakra Gita, though I have yet not completed it. If you want to read stories of Shiva then go for Shiva Puran or Vayu Puran. Reading stories after stories may be good for starting but ultimately we want to understand Shiva - the absolute consciousness which pervades everything. For that we need to read gems like Upanishads, Yoga Sutra and Shiva Sutra. Read the works and teachings of Sri Abhinavgupt, Sri Ramana mahasrhi, Sri Ramkrishna Paramhansa, Sri Aurobindo and other great gurus.

shantam, shivam, advaitam!
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Vannakkam: The Bhagavat Gita is the most well known Hindu scripture in the west, mainly due to the efforts of ISKCON. Ironically, it's not a Saiva scripture, strictly speaking. But it's still a beautiful book.

It really depends on what interests you. If you want advaita philosophy, read the Upanishads. If you want ethics, read the Tirukural. If you want to learn more from modern saints, read books like 'The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna' or works by Sivananda.

There are also lots of 'introduction to Hinduism' style books.

So the literature is vast. What interests you?

Aum Namasivaya

Hinduism is diffiCult

btw, it is better to have a copy (soft/ hard) of these:
    Gita, Ramayana, Purana (Vishnu & Shiva), and some of the more modern efforts (imperfect nonetheless).

In addition, sound-bytes of:
    hanumAn chAlisA, gAyatri mantra. (even better if equipped with some additional material as to how to offer simple puja in a temple)

I guess all of these, because you never know..
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Namaste!
    Thanx for posting replies, as already mention I had read a bhagavat gita. Yes it is very beautiful book EM..
    Now im thinking to start with shiv sutra or bhagavatam and then other Upanishads...
    Thanx!

Namaste Soul of Light

As Eastern Mind says, there are many scriptures including those he suggested.

If you are interested in Saivism, I might also suggest you explore Saiva Bhakti as well as Advaita. Some are not aware, but there is a very strong Bhakti movement centered on Murugan (Skanda) Who is the Son of the Cosmic Family of Shiva. It is a very beautiful devotion, you might start with the Skanda Purana if you wish to look into this. I would also recommend the Kashi Khanda section and learn more about Kashi (Varanasi, Banaras) India, the City Never Foresaken by Lord Shiva.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Last edited by ShivaFan; 21 May 2014 at 08:31 PM.

Namaste Kalicharan Tuvij,
    thanx for posting, I'll take care of it
    hello ShivaFan,
    I too don't know that Skanda purana is centered on the devotion of Kartikeya.. Thanx 4 ur knowledge, I'll search about shaiva bhakti on web..!
    Pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Namaste,

I would say the Himalayan Academy Publications (Dancing with Siva, Living with Siva, Merging with Siva). [These are not scriptures of course]

However, as previously mentioned I would surely attempt to attain the Upanishads, and the translation is up to your own discretion, but personally, I would propound Eaknath Easwaran's basic translation to start off with. It is very newbie-friendly and extremely well written and captivating.

Have a good day.

Namaste,

Just ot begin with, Reading Upanishads is not recomended. Please DO NOT read Ashtavakra Gita or Yoga VAsista.

I would prefer you to Read Shiva Purana and Linga Purana. they not only instil bhakti, but also grant knowledge.

Just like there is bhagavad gita, there is Shiva gita too. It is also an important text.

Shiva Sutras are heavily coded. Though you can understand apparent meaning, the real meaning is understood only in presence of a Guru.

When Yoga comes into picture, Guru is necessary. For bhakti, one can chant Gods name.

I would suggest you to read

Shiva Purana
    Linga Purana
    Shiva Gita
    Stotras / devotional songs on Shiva - like Shiva Sahasranama, Shiva chalisa
    Uddhava Gita as pointed by HLK is excellent.
    Abhinavagupta, a great Shaiva bhakta has also commented on bhagavad Gita. If you have a liking towards yoga, then it is a good commentary.

Lal ded's poems are very good. they fill one with ecstasy. Lala Ded / Lalla Yogeshwari / Lalleshwari was a Shiva devotee like Meera bai was a Krishna devotee.

Sri rudram / Satrudriyam is an important vedic stotram in praise of Lord Shiva.

I think this is enough material to be immersed in Shiva

Yoga sutra start from duality and end in non-duality. Shiva Sutra's are of non-dual nature.

Also note that there are some who follow sampradAya like shaiva Siddhanta or Kashmir shaivism. then there are those who are shiva devotees but but not adhere to any sampradayas.

Please specify of you wish to follow any sampradaya or simply wish to increase shiva bhakti. From your post, I think you do not mind chanting Krishna / Vishnu's name.

btw, Madhurastakam, a hymn in praise of Krishna, composed by Vallabhacharya is very poetic and sweet to listen. you will be filled with bhakti.

Have a look at these links.

Shiva bhajans:
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=11891
    Vaishnav Bhajans
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=12513

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information