Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pronunciation

Pronunciation

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I couldn't find one more appropriate.

I'm trying to learn some Sanskrit in my free time, just so I have more of an idea what's going on with the Sanskrit words I come across.

I just finished learning about the vowels/consonants (Akṣāras?).

I know that "Shiva" is written: Śiva. From what I've learned, the "i" in Śiva should be a short i, unless it were written as ī. However, I've always heard Śiva pronounced with a long ī sound (ee), not as a short vowel.

It seems pedantic, but I am curious what is correct in this instance.

Also, if anyone has any resources on Sanskrit, I'd be happy to see them.

Re: Pronunciation

Namaste ANS,

It is "ShivAya" i.e. short sound of "i" and not "ee". It is wrong to pronounce Shiva with a long "ee" sound.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste ANS,

It is "ShivAya" i.e. short sound of "i" and not "ee". It is wrong to pronounce Shiva with a long "ee" sound.

OM
    Namaste Devotee,

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm glad to be able to apply the new knowledge, however limited so far.

Vannakkam: 'Perhaps' there are regional differences.
    http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?wor...&submit=Submit

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,
    'Perhaps' there are regional differences.
    http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?wor...&submit=Submit
    Western adaptations/mutations rather than regional differences has been a sore point with me. The 'i' sound is invariably replaced with the 'ee' sound. Sitar becomes See-tar, or even See-taar.

Another gripe, every consonant has a soft form and full form. The full form is denoted with an 'a' at the end. So, a short 'n' would become 'na' in its full form, but it is not pronounced as 'naa'. 'na' would be a regular 'n' as in Son. However, here, it is always made to be a 'naa', as in Krishnaa, whereas phonetically, it should be Krishn. Shiv becomes Sheevaa and Yog becomes Yogaa? Sure, in japa or in bhajans, people take the liberty to add some sounds to make the words rhyme. But that is not to say that the words themselves should be pronounced differently in a stand alone mode. Sanskrit words are sometimes mispronounced even in India because of the influence of native tongues or dialects thereof. But a discerning learner would do well to avoid these pitfalls.

Regarding some credible websites for Sanskrit, I am sure Indraneela would come around and make some good suggestions.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    The full form is denoted with an 'a' at the end. So, a short 'n' would become 'na' in its full form, but it is not pronounced as 'naa'. 'na' would be a regular 'n' as in Son. However, here, it is always made to be a 'naa', as in Krishnaa, whereas phonetically, it should be Krishn. Shiv becomes Sheevaa and Yog becomes Yogaa?
    Dropping the short a is done only in Hindi not in Sanskrit.

Sanskrit correct pronounciation : yoga

Hindi correct pronouncuation: yog

So it is wrong pronounciation to drop the short "a" in Mantras. Only in Hindi conversation and bhajans it is allowed to treat Sanskrit in such a way as to pronounce "yog" instead of the sanskrit "Yoga" or `Shiva as in hindi "shiv" or Krishna as "krishn" etc. When reciting sanskrit texts strotras, sanskrit books or sanskrit mantras the short end "a" must always be pronounced.

Therefore to use Hindi "adaptions and Mutations " is a sore point rather than using the correct sanskrit endings.

If we compare the Hindi pronunciation with the Western pronunciation, these are actually two extremes. A lot of westerners will say shivA or yogA with a long A, a lot of Hindi speakers will remove the a altogether and say shiv or yog (or even jog), when the Sanskrit form is with a short a.

namaste ans.

A sure way to learn the right pronunciation of Sanskrit is to listen to songs by singers like Uma Mohan. Some links:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxxhlJdq9JA
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...0l0l0l0l0ll0l0.
    http://www.24listen.com/uma-mohan.html
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    If we compare the Hindi pronunciation with the Western pronunciation, these are actually two extremes. A lot of westerners will say shivA or yogA with a long A, a lot of Hindi speakers will remove the a altogether and say shiv or yog (or even jog), when the Sanskrit form is with a short a.
    Longer A is not that bad as leaving out the vowel altogether when it comes to Mantras and their effects. Especially since the short a is the "anuttara" the first letter, the vowel that originates and contains all the letters within itself, its presence is needed.

Namaste,

Thanks Sahas/ Saidevo for your inputs. I can see the short 'a' sound in reciting of stotrams etc., but is it carried into conversational Sanskrit also?

Is it correct to say, 'I went to a Yoga class?

Pranam.

Thread Information