Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeing snakes in dreams!

Seeing snakes in dreams!

Dear Pandits,

Is there any significance to seeing snakes in dreams, especially if one doesn't have sarpa dosha or any other dosha?

No psychoanalysis please, only astrology here.

Suresh

Re: Seeing snakes in dreams!

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by suresh View Post
    Dear Pandits,

Is there any significance to seeing snakes in dreams, especially if one doesn't have sarpa dosha or any other dosha?
    Namaste suresh,
    nice to see you posting...
    I do not have an answer to your question... I am meager and a novice in this area in question. That said,my reference for this post is prasna marga¹ ( praSna mArga) and what I have to offer is limited; nothing on snakes. Yet the prasna marga suggest the following as an fyi, Chapt 31 is on dreams...
    • Dreams are of 7 kinds: drishta, sruta, anubhuta, prarthita, kalpita, bhavija and doshaja i.e. seen in life, heard in life, experinced in life, desired in life, fancied or imaginary things, (bhavija) - not included in the list above, and doshaja - caused by tridoshas.
    • If one takes the night and divides it into 4ths, dreams is the 1st quarter will result within 1 year; the 2nd quarter will take place in 6 months, the 3rd quarter within 3 months and the 4th quarter within 1 month.
    • If the dream takes place during dawn, then the event will take place soon ( prasna marga suggests 10 days as soon - sutra 68).
    Now the prasna marga gives a multitude of dream events, yet I see no snakes... it calls out cats, camels, pigs, tiers, jackals, birds, crows, eagles, buffalo, dogs, preta (departed , deceased , dead , a dead person), rakshasa, etc. to name a few. Also devata, ghee, sun and moon thorns, creepers, bamboo, trees, flowers, etc - yet no snakes.

That said dreams caused by dasa of planets ( the graha) indicate the influences appropriate to them... snakes are related to rahu. If you look at your chart are you in a rahu period or sub-period of rahu? And in what house ( bhava) and sign ( rasi). This may assist you.

pranams

1. This prasna marga is the translation of BV Ramam; the original work is by the brahmin jyotisha Kerala wtitten circa 1649. Kerala was not only a jyotish but commented on omens and mantra shastra.
    Last edited by yajvan; 11 February 2008 at 09:49 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Yajvan,

Thanks for your thoughts. I considered the possibility of rahu, but there's no rahu period as of now. But what of saturn? People say it gives similar results to rahu, so could it be due to saturn's sub-period? Also, is there anything like rahu dosha in astrology, that is, if rahu is in 7th, do they call it rahu dosha?

I am also quite surprised that there's no mention of snakes in the classical texts. As there are many yogas like sarpa, naga etc., I assumed snakes were very important indicators, especially wrt dreams.

Suresh

Namaste,

I have some observations, which may or may not be relevant (and also may be too much generalization).

While I have progressed through Rahu Dasha, people who are very close to me have seen snakes in their dreams. These people have also undergone great trouble on account of me. As my ego got drubbed and mauled through progress of the dasha, the snake dreams of my people reduced. With at least one person, who is also the closest, the snake dreams gave way to a dream of a protective elephant, which appeared to have guarded the dreamer from other wild animals. I have myself never seen anything memorable in dream.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste Yajvan,

Thanks for your thoughts. I considered the possibility of rahu, but there's no rahu period as of now. Suresh
    Namaste suresh and atanu,
    Atanu, that was quite an interesting post... it would be of interest to look at other Rahu timings ( a future event) , note it and see if this dream condition occurs again.

Suresh,
    if you look at your Vimshottari dasa period at the 4th sub-period, you will find Rahu dasa period running from 3rd of Feb to the 25th of Feb. Is this the time you had the dreams?

Note with Vimshottari, there are 2 groups of 3 (3+3 or 6 periods). That is,
    the maha dasa then below it the sub dasa periods. Rahu owns the 2nd group of 3. Let me offer the groups or sub periods below. As you go to the subperiods the time-horizons become smaller i.e. from years at the Mahadasa level to hours of the day.

Mine looks like this as we speak:
    Saturn-Venus-Mercury-Venus-Ketu-Ketu: Saturn at the maha dasa level runs for 19 years... at the sub-period of dehadasa, it runs for 2hrs 10 min and 36 seconds ( go figure eh?)

Lets start at the top:
    • Maha dasa is the major period or the 1st level
    • Antardasa ( some call bhukti) is the 2nd level
    • Pratyantardasa is the 3rd level
    • Sookshmadasa is the 4th level ( starting the next group of 3)
    • Pranadasa is the 5th level
    • Dehadasa is the 6th level
    As I mentioned , for you Rahu is at the 4th level, Sookshmadasa, running to the 25th of this month of Feb.

Only with your permission will out list out your Vimshottari dasa periods or talk more of your chart in detail.

Let me also advise you that you should consider Ashottari dasa system. It applies in your chart according to the rule give by Parashara muni. See Brihat Parasha Hora Shastra CHapt 48.17 It says,
    O'Brahmin, Rudra teaches that if Rahi is places in a quadrant or trine from the sign occupied by the lord of the Lagna Asttottari dasa shall apply.

Parasharaji then goes on to say in 48.23 If the birth is during the day in krisha paksha ( or the dark half of the month) or of at nighet in sukla paksha ( or bright half of the month) the use of Ashtottari dasa is advised for the determination of all results.

Rule 48.17 applies to your chart. Both rules 48.17 + 48.23 apply to my chart as an fyi. I mention this becasue about 20% to 25% of all charts have this condition met as an fyi. And a side note - for strong Ashotttri applied natives, ketu plays a key role. Ketu is karaka of Moksha and the pursuit thereof, plus other things we know of ketu - life in a foregin land, fastidious, occult interests, philisophy, etc.

If you consider this ( both dasa systems) info you will then see Rahu's influence on you during this present time.

So the wise jyotish looking to udu¹ dasa systems, Parashara says Vimshottari is the best of the nakshatra dasa systems (Chaprt 48.3); Yet picking the other dasa tools that applies to ones chart is also given by him.

pranams

1. udu (uDu or उडु ) - a lunar mansion or constellation (nakshatra) in the moon's path ; we recognize 27 of them with the 28th Abhjit being a special nakshatra, we identify as the brightest amonst 3 stars in Vega.
    Last edited by yajvan; 14 February 2008 at 05:47 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste Yajvan,

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Suresh,
    if you look at your Vimshottari dasa period at the 4th sub-period, you will find Rahu dasa period running from 3rd of Feb to the 25th of Feb. Is this the time you had the dreams?
    Yes. I'd only considered up to pratyantardasa, which was the reason for my confusion. If we consider sookshmadasa, then the dream must be the result of rahu's influence. But what does the dream signify (snake entering my house), especially because I had this dream TWICE in consecutive weeks? I've never dreamed of snakes, ever before! This was the first time. That was quite surprising.

Plus, even if we do see rahu's hand in this, what does it actually mean? Even though the texts don't mention anything, as you earlier said, this must be a pointer to something that's gonna happen. And snakes are generally considered inauspicious, both spiritually and astrologically.

If you consider this ( both dasa systems) info you will then see Rahu's influence on you during this present time.
    I am not able to see the second system (ashottari) clearly. Is it possible to just point to the current dasa/bhukti, so I can get a better idea?

Suresh

Wink Re: Seeing snakes in dreams!

Snakes are generally considered inauspicious, both spiritually and astrologically.
    Namaste Suresh,

Only vaiSNava traditions have this fear of all snakes, considering the nAga as an inauspicious sign.

What protects every shivaliga? What does shiva wear around his own neck? What surrounds the celestial pole? What is the form of kuNDalinI? And what supports viSNu?

Is it not a serpent in every case ???

The nAga is the most obvious sign of the presence of shiva, which should be considered as highly auspicious (both spiritually and astrologically)!

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post
    Namaste Suresh,

Only vaiSNava traditions have this fear of all snakes, considering the nAga as an inauspicious sign.

What protects every shivaliga? What does shiva wear around his own neck? What surrounds the celestial pole? What is the form of kuNDalinI? And what supports viSNu?

Is it not a serpent in every case ???

The nAga is the most obvious sign of the presence of shiva, which should be considered as highly auspicious (both spiritually and astrologically)!
    Namaste Sarabhanga,

Spiritually, what you say may be true. But astrologically, I doubt it. There are many doshas associated with the snake, kala sarpa being the worst. So in astrology, snakes are hardly considered auspicious. Rahu who resembles a snake is also considered demonic.

I had always heard from elders that dreams of snakes is auspicious. Rahu may have a body of a serpent, but that should not reflect to badly on all serpents I guess.

Puranas have examples of both divine (vasuki) and demoniac (kaliya) serpents. But snake in general is auspicious in our culture, unless u sware by the bible.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste suresh,
    What sarabhanga says is true as ananta अनन्त ( 'a' or not + 'anta' or end) is the serpent upon visnu (viSNu) rests and is the infinite. And we know siva wears this serpent around His neck... Here we see it as a blessing and all good.

Yet from a dreams POV, I have mentioned my knowledge here is meager at best i.e. I am ignorant of the meaning of dreams other then my readings from prasna marga.

Let me offer this, as you have requested -
    Is it possible to just point to the current dasa/bhukti, so I can get a better idea?

As I have mentioned in the last post , Vimshottari dasa influence of Rahu is the following:

Venus-Jupiter-Saturn-Rahu-Rahu-Rahu
    The 4th level shown began 3rd of Feb and runs to 25th of Feb 2008.
    The 5th level of Rahu started 3rd of Feb to 6th of Feb 2008
    The 6th level of Rahu started 3rd of Feb and ran from 9:47 AM to 21:55 PM. This would be the hight of the Rahu influence in body-mind-jiva or spirit.

In Ashtottri Dasa looks like this:
    Sun-Mars-Rahu-Rahu-Rahu-Rahu

Here Rahu at the 3rd level begins 20th of March and runs to the 7th of April. The 4th level of Rahu runs * or is included in the 3rd level and starts 5th of April to the 7th of April. And the 5th level starts on the 7th of April for the day, and the 6th level is also april 7th and runs for ~ 2 hours from 11 AM to 11:33 AM.

Be mindful on these days for strong Rahu influences… Read what Rahu brings from your jyotish studies… Yet for these Dasa periods, it is how you react or respond to the surroundings/universe - what it offers up as experiences to you.

Why do I mention this?
    How the universe comes to you is seen from the Narayan Dasa. You have just started the Narayan Dasa of Virgo [ began 16 January 2008]. Virgo rules the 7th house in your chart. Who is in your 7th house in your birth chart ( janma kundalai) - it is Rahu.

What does the 7th house signifiy? Relationships... and therefore realtionships coming to you. And what does Virgo offer? You can look this up yet we know Virgo offers people of fair complexion, handsome or beautiful, yet with languid (lacking in vigor or vitality) eyes.; Intelligent, fond of passion, loves peace and order, arts, prudent, speaks slowly, etc. These type of people will be in your life, coming to you from the 7th house of relationships ....and more with the intent of rahu ( even if they do not know it).

In your chart, you will be strongly influenced by others with rahu characteristics - perhaps those with bad habits, yes? False speech, argumentative debates with little results, hypocrites, ill-women, things of cruel nature… and these things most likely will come from the South West direction , owned by Rahu.

Remember it is how you respond to these things, as Vimshottari is about you, Mind-Body-Spirit that of Sun-Moon-Lagna.

If there where things that bind you (bandha) there are 3 types – Vira, Naga and Ahi bandha. I mention this as naga bandha is associated with rahu. And what of that? With this bandha a person is cheated or falsely accused.

It is said that the best remedy for this is Sri Ram’s mantra. I wil assume you know this? Sri Ram’s taraka mantra is rum ramaya namaha. It starts with vahni ¹ bejakshara rum (rm). Vahni वह्नि is fire , agni, the seed syllable of agni, which brings purification.

Now others say the taraka mantra is Om Ramaya Namaha. This is fine, yet it is the notion of my teacher that we use rum, the bija of agni, as the 1st syllable. I am sure there are debates on this matter. I pass along what I was taught. One cannot go wrong with agni is my orientation.

Let us know in the next several weeks who comes to you, and their intent and if there is any mischief.

pranams

1. Vahni वह्नि - the conveyer or bearer of oblations to the devata; agni; of the number 'three' (frrom the three sacred fires);to hallow or make sacred by fire , burn solemnly
    Last edited by yajvan; 13 March 2008 at 11:54 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information