View Poll Results: Isn't Bhagvad-Gita's discourse sans 110 interpolations unambiguous?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 33.33%
  • No

1 33.33%
  • Can't say

0 0%
  • I haven't tried yet

1 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mundane distortions in the Divine discourse - On interpolations in Bhagvad Gita

Re: Mundane distortions in the Divine discourse - On interpolations in Bhagvad Gita

Mbh does contain a lot of material which does not impinge, even indirectly, on the main story line.

I believe that one of the earliest "authentic" text of Gita would be one commented upon by Shankar.

I believe that BG has down to us in oral form too.

Arrow Re: Mundane distortions in the Divine discourse - On interpolations in Bhagvad Gita

namaste all of you.

We can't deny the interpolation of gita completely. The last verse of 14th chapter of gita is very strange and looks like it's interpolated.

In that shloka, lord krishna is described as base of bramhan. In other words, he is described supreme than bramhan . Isn't this opposite to what veda says about bramhan? veda teaches that ishwara = bramhan + maya ( lord krishna too said that i take avatara with the help of maya) and bramhan is the highest reality .There is nothing beyond it. From these don't we conclude that it's interpolated ?

There is much possibilty that the people who wanted to show superiority of form interpolated it.
    In actual , in that last shloka lord Krishna wants to say that i m this blissful bramhan. we come to know that why lord Krishna says 'i m bramhan' from previous verses. In previous verses it is written that the people who worship me, they too attain that bramhan. The last verse follows from it : Because i m that blissful, imperishable bramhan.

So what do you think ?

Thank you.
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 03 September 2013 at 09:02 AM.

Re: Mundane distortions in the Divine discourse - On interpolations in Bhagvad Gita

Please consider, first of all, that BG commented upon has 700 slokas. And he mentions previous commentaries too[unfortunately no longer available], but nowhere does he mentions the discrepancies now alleged.

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    namaste all of you.

We can't deny the interpolation of gita completely. The last verse of 14th chapter of gita is very strange and looks like it's interpolated.

In that shloka, lord krishna is described as base of bramhan. In other words, he is described supreme than bramhan . Isn't this opposite to what veda says about bramhan? veda teaches that ishwara = bramhan + maya ( lord krishna too said that i take avatara with the help of maya) and bramhan is the highest reality .There is nothing beyond it. From these don't we conclude that it's interpolated ?

There is much possibilty that the people who wanted to show superiority of form interpolated it.
    In actual , in that last shloka lord Krishna wants to say that i m this blissful bramhan. we come to know that why lord Krishna says 'i m bramhan' from previous verses. In previous verses it is written that the people who worship me, they too atrain that bramhan. The last verse follows from it : Because i m that blissful, imperishable bramhan.

So what do you think ?

Thank you.
    14.27 For, I am the abode of the imperishable Brahma, of immortality, of everlasting virtue of unending bliss.

English Translation of Sri Sankaracharya's Sanskrit Commentary - Swami Gambhirananda

14.27 Hi, for; aham, I, the inmost Self; am the pratistha brahmanah, Abode-that in which something abides is pratistha-of Brahman which is the supreme Self. Of Brahman of what kind? Amrtasya, of that which is indestructible; avyayasya, of that which is immutable; and sasvatasya, of that which is eternal; dharmasya, of that which is the Dharma, realizable through the Yoga of Jnana which is called dharma (virtue); and aikantikasya sukhasya, of that which is the absolute, unfailing Bliss by nature. Since the inmost Self is the abode of the supreme Self-which by nature is immortal etc.-, therefore, through perfect Knowledge it (the former) is realized with certainty to be the supreme Self. This has been stated in, 'he qualifies for becoming Brahman'. The purport is this: Indeed, that power of God through which Brahman sets out, comes forth, for the purpose of favouring the devotees, etc., that power which is Brahman Itself, am I. For, a power and the possesser of that power are non-different. Or, brahman means the conditioned Brahman, since It (too,) is referred to by that word. 'Of that Brahman, I Myself, the unconditioned Brahman-and none else-am the Abode.' (The abode of Brahman) of what qualities? Of that which is immortal; of that which has the quality of deathlessness; of that which is immutable; so also, of that which is the eternal; which is the dharma having the characteristics of steadfastness in Knowledge; of that which is the absolute, unquestionably certain Bliss born of that (steadfastness);-'I am the Abode' is understood.

With this explanation, I think this shloka too is OK and does not look like an interpolation. So at least Shankar took it as it was and and there was no interpolation.

The problem with deciding whether a verse is an interpolation or not is this:

You (or We) think some verse does not fit in; it is not reasonable; it offends our sense of propriety; it is not the Krishna we know of.

On the other hand͵ the interpolator (if one existed) is fully convinced he has got Krishna Right. Moreover he has been able to convince the scholars of his time as to the validity of his arguments.

So where is Krishna͵ who alone can tell us what he meant?

I think he is in the below sloka:

Sahajam karma Kaunteya sadosham api na tyajet
    Sarvarambhaa hi doshena dhoomenagnirivaavruthaa.

So never forsake a Gita verse͵ though you might think it does not fit in.

Thread Information