Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Comments in Yahoo about India upon arrest of Indian diplomat

Re: Comments in Yahoo about India upon arrest of Indian diplomat

Thank you, Webimpulse. Although Khobragade has been in error for ill-treating the maid, a strip-search by US is unnecessary action and feels like an intentional slight to India. Therefore I thank you for your effort!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Viraja, Webimpulse and others who empathise,

Definitely it is humiliating, but I am not sure whether cavity search is ethically right or wrong. Considering her involvement in Adarsh Housing scam, there is nothing wrong in she undergoing that treatment. Of late, I feel what US did should have been done by GOI, but officials here are corrupt to core. An act of God that she deserves, my opinion.

Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade, who was arrested in the US for alleged visa fraud, is among 25 illegal beneficiaries in the Adarsh housing society in Mumbai, a judicial commission has said in its report
    The Adarsh Housing Society is a cooperative society in Mumbai, India. The origins of the scam go back to February 2002 when a request was made to the Chief Minister of Maharashtra to allot land in the heart of Mumbai for the construction of a housing complex "for the welfare of serving and retired personnel of the Defence Services". Over a period of ten years, top politicians, bureaucrats and military officers proceeded to bend several rules and perpetrate various acts of omission and commission in order to have the building constructed and then get themselves allotted flats in this premier property at artificially lowered prices.
    Anirudh...

Dear all,

Davayani case mess-up by USA has left an average Indian with a bad taste in mouth. I would ask the following questions :

a) What does Diplomat Immunity means to US ? Again, is it US or the Vienna Convention which would decide what a Diplomat's Immunity means ? Let's remember that it is applicable mutually ... you get the respect that you pay to us.

b) Was it such a big crime that her arrest by hand-cuffing, strip search and cavity search was necessary ? Was she a threat to law and order of American society ? Why did American authorities not serve her a notice before deciding to arrest her and keep her alongwith drug addicts and the likes ?

c) How would America react if same treatment was meted out to their diplomats in India ?

d) How did America take upon itself to evacuate Sangeeta Richards out of India without even taking permission of India, Govt ? Is it what is expected from a "friendly" country ? Why not legal action be taken against those who did this or helped in this evacuation ? How would have America reacted if the same was done by India ?

e) Did America ever think that it might be a well planned game played by Sangeeta to settle in America and becoming an American Citizen by making fools of those who helped her !

f) Is it not a conspiracy to bring in Adarsha case and justify her arrest and maltreatment in USA ? If she has done anything wrong in India, she would face the legal action here. Linking this with her arrest in US for some other reason is legally and morally wrong. Moreover, whether she committed any offence in Adarsha case is still to be proved.

It is not that an XYZ Indian has been taken up by law enforcing agency in US .... it is the case of an Indian Diplomat in US which represents Indian Govt in US. It was expected from US Govt to show some sensitivity before cracking down so hard on her as if she was a hardcore criminal which was threat to the society.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste Devotee,

Like Devayani, Kani mozhi Raja Suresh Kalmaddi are all innocent because their crime is not proved beyond doubt. If I remember even our ex president had sufered in the past. Then why this hungama now.
    Dal me kuch kaala hai yaa phir daal hi kala hai
    I echo what omkar had replied to shivaFan , if you bend people will bend you further.

Do you think it was ok to sit quiet when David hadley was protected or to serve Biriyani in return to our soldier deaths in Karl and civilian massacre in Mumbai.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 11 January 2014 at 05:08 AM.
    Anirudh...

I say what Devoteeji is saying is correct.

I don't support Devyani Khobragade, I suppose this incident will only be a little 'mosquito-bite' for her!! However, this is a matter of prestige for Indians. Just imagine a US diplomat, under same circumstances, a lady at that, being 'strip-searched' in India by Indian officials... we cannot even 'dare' thinking so because US would have by now made HUGE reactions to it, it would have become international news and India would have been made to 'pay for it'. This is what I think so. We India are often made to let go of even criminals when they belong to other countries - one cannot forget how the 2 Italian Marines who shot down 2 Keralite fishermen initially walked away forcing india to take drastic measures such as restricting the Italian ambassador's movements and then only Italia sent the 2 culprits for trials to India!

But we Indians aren't really moved by the Devyani matter because Indian politicians are as corrupt as what Anirudh ji says...

Another incident that every common man in India trying for US visa - even tourist visa - faces is the much humiliating rejection. There is even several cyber-boards to 'train' applicants to answer the Visa-questions, but the truth is that those Visa officials don't even read the much-thought-out papers, which almost took the same labor as preparing for one's term paper of research work. They spend so much time and all the applicants face is a minute or 2 before being shown away! Whereas from countries in broken down Soviet Union such as Lithuenia and so forth, immigrants flock US everyday like anything! It seems that getting US visa is so easy in these other countries all around the globe is so easy except for Indians...

Namaste Viraja ,

Indians are heaped with insults in the international arena because of the care we get from GOI during troubled times and also due to our own greed.
    We lie to reach different countries. Our misconduct is mostly attributed to worst life style back home. So I humbly ask can we blame others or expect respect from racists and double standard regime.

US and powerful western countries export terrorism can you deny that? If you are just tell what are they doing in middle east?

What did we do when our ex president missile man was held in one of the US airports? When we kept quite then why this hungama now.

I am not finding fault with you, just saying feeling pity for Devayani or thinking the actions taken by US as a insult on Indians is not a rational thinking.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 12 January 2014 at 08:23 AM.
    Anirudh...

America is showing no regards towards anyone and is arrogant to the core. It is police state in the making, which rules by brute force and intimidation only. Right or wrong, the matter with the maid is a matter of Indian Law since the diplomat has diplomatic status and both are Indian citizens. If the incident was deemed severe enough offense, the diplomat should quietly have been returned to India without creating a public spectacle to shame entire Indian nation.
    uttama hañā vaiṣṇava habe nirabhimāna
    jīve sammāna dibe jāni' 'kṛṣṇa'-adhiṣṭhāna

"Although a Vaiṣṇava is a most exalted person, he is prideless and gives
    all respect to everyone, knowing everyone to be the resting place of Kṛṣṇa."
    -Śrī Caitanya Caritāmṛta Antya 20.25

Namaste Anirudh,

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Like Devayani, Kani mozhi Raja Suresh Kalmaddi are all innocent because their crime is not proved beyond doubt.
    Again, you have not got it right. You have not read what I posted. The question here is not whether Devayani is a culprit in Adarsha case or not. It is just not the issue. It is India's domestic issue. Why is this being used to justify this misbehaviour with an Indian Diplomat by American authorities ? ... and the fact that this justification is coming from some Indians is really shameful. Let's hang Devyani till death for the crime she committed in India ... but that is a different issue altogether. I don't know if I am able to make myself clear to you !

If I remember even our ex president had sufered in the past. Then why this hungama now.
    Dal me kuch kaala hai yaa phir daal hi kala hai
    So, once we committed a mistake, we must keep on committing it again and again. Right ?

Do you think it was ok to sit quiet when David hadley was protected or to serve Biriyani in return to our soldier deaths in Karl and civilian massacre in Mumbai.
    ???? How is related with Devyani case ?

Indians are heaped with insults in the international arena because of the care we get from GOI during troubled times and also due to our own greed.
    Is it the only reason ? Are you sure ?? That is being so naive. It is a question of who has the power and who can or cannot stand against unjustified treatment. America is known for using different standards for different countries. This country has a different yardstick for itself and a different one for other (read, third world countries) countries. They can afford to maltreat you just because they are rich and powerful.

We lie to reach different countries. Our misconduct is mostly attributed to worst life style back home. So I humbly ask can we blame others or expect respect from racists and double standard regime.
    Please don't make a sweeping generalisation. Our people do go to America/Europe for better future but it doesn't mean that they are all liars and cheats. If someone has done something wrong, punish them. India won't say anything. Here the question is, "Why was norms accepted in Vienna Convention was flouted while dealing with Devayani ? Why was she not sent back to India if her conduct was found inappropriate to her official capacity ?" And perhaps the bigger question is why Indians themselves are defending such a humiliating action an Indian Diplomat and trying to link with a totally unrelated issue ?

US and powerful western countries export terrorism can you deny that? If you are just tell what are they doing in middle east?
    How is it related with this issue at all ?

What did we do when our ex president missile man was held in one of the US airports? When we kept quite then why this hungama now.
    So, if a girl is raped once and she didn't lodge a police report out of fear at that time, she must allow being raped again and again without complaining ???

I am not finding fault with you, just saying feeling pity for Devayani or thinking the actions taken by US as a insult on Indians is not a rational thinking.
    To tell you the truth, we are maltreated by others because we are not united as a nation. We don't feel ashamed when our diplomat which a representative of our country is maltreated abroad. We are maltreated by others because when some other Indian suffers, we don't feel the pain in his/her sufferings.

We actually deserve such maltreatment in the hands of others (and perhaps even worse) as long as we don't feel the pain suffered by another fellow Indian by an outsider.

I have nothing to say anything else. I personally don't know Devyani but I feel humiliated when an Indian representative is humiliated in such a manner. If you feel otherwise ... I have nothing to say. Bye.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste devotee,

Hypothetically let us assume that if some ones life is destroyed beyond repair by a corrupt officer, what will he/she feel when another corrupt official pays dearly for an another mistake.

If the same had happened to a common man, i will empathise. But not with this corrupt official who is backed by corrupt congress. For eg, humiliation and pain suffered by this woman is negligible in comparison to Bhopal Gas victims. 30 years gone, even in this internet age do we really care? But then why all this hungama for this corrupt woman. Is it because her father has high connections ?

I don't want to justify anything. Neither I want to hurt your sentiments by any means, just shared whatever I felt.

I am looking at one side and probably you are looking at the other side of the coin.
    Anirudh...

Thread Information