Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating meat

Eating meat

Hi, I was wondering if it is bad to eat meat and go to the temple? Tuesday is one of the day's I visit the mandir (Hanuman's day) and I mistakenly ate a small piece of meat and I remembered just after I ate it. I'm not sure if I should still go or not, what are your opinions? I will ask for forgiveness as well.

Re: Eating meat

I am happy to know your struggle in keeping up traditions.

In a Vedic forum like this, hardly anyone will accept "forgetting" as an excuse. They would ask, what will the cop say when he asks you for license and you say you forgot?

If you relax on this, then you will get habituated to it and soon the habit will become very ok. That opportunity to become more spiritual, targetting which we have all these traditions, will become wasted.

For this reason only I think (personally) that if you remembered that you ate meat, its better not to go the temple...that sets a discipline. It is also better not to eat outside that day (if possible) as food is usually mixed these days.

Forgive me if I overspoke.

Jai Sri Ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Sachin95 View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if it is bad to eat meat and go to the temple? Tuesday is one of the day's I visit the mandir (Hanuman's day) and I mistakenly ate a small piece of meat and I remembered just after I ate it. I'm not sure if I should still go or not, what are your opinions? I will ask for forgiveness as well.
    Vannakkam Sachin: Welcome to these forums. We have an entire section on vegetarianism, so you could start by searching there.

Most Hindus, especially those who follow Gurus, are also vegetarians. In the crowd I mix with there are many meat-eaters, but I think most wouldn't go to temple itfthis happened. Others wouldn't care at all. But of course vegetarians never have to deal with this decision.

Aum Namasivaya

Vanakkam,

I was fully veg in India and it wasn't a problem. But for people with me that were eating meat, they just never ate meat a day before and the day they go to the temple. They weren't hindu, it was just out of respect for tradition, deities and devotees.
    However in my country, for most reasons, I am not fully veg. I however apply this rule and never eat meat the day before and the day when I go to temple. I give the body time to "purify" and get rid of meat before going to have darshan. Sometimes I even don't eat at all, but this is just personnal preference.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Thank you all for the replies, I decided eventually not to go. I am trying to be a vegetarian but it's hard these days with everyone around you.

Vannakkam Sachin,

That has happened to me several times in the past, and I must say that the feeling of guilt can be quite overwhelming later at the temple. JignyAsu gave some excellent advice.

You can ask for forgiveness, yes, but if you dismiss the present situation as "I couldn't help it", your conscience would be in danger of becoming indifferent to the whole 'veg-on-temple-days' thing if the situation repeats itself in the future.

From my experience, I would suggest you develop the discipline at this point. It can be a problem if you live in a non-vegetarian household, but practice makes perfect. If it's not a special prayer or festival, try postponing the visit to another day or to the week after. You could also eat at vegetarian restaurants, if you don't trust veg food served at non-veg ones.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Equinox; 27 February 2013 at 01:28 PM.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

First, Please be aware I mean no dis-respect to anyone or question their behaviors or actions.

Yet I find it an incongruent practice, understanding, or action of not eating meat before going to the temple, then resume eating meat afterwards. What did one accomplish ? The intake of meat now resides in every cell in one's body, but is not on one's tongue at the moment they step into the temple. What was accomplished ?

What is the incongruent practice? The understanding and application of ahisā we know as non-injury. Some call this non-violence. This infers to all beings ( even ourselves).

iti śiva
    Last edited by yajvan; 27 February 2013 at 06:01 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

I have decided from now on to switch to full vegetarian and devote myself to Hinduism properly instead of eating meat everyday until I visit the temple. Thanks for all the responses.

Namaste.

One positive aspect that I see about not going to the mandir after eating a meat preparation is the reminder of a flaw. The person is reminded of a shortcoming in his devotional behavior that he needs to work on. Whereas every cell of a person's body might have the remnants of meat that he is used to eating; on being told that he should not go to the mandir after having a meal with meat in it, brings to the fore something that he needs to work on. It highlights a flaw in his sadhana, a habit that is keeping him from moving to a higher spiritual level. Being reminded of a deficiency in our resolve could be the starting point towards overcoming it.

Disclaimer: My comments are in no way intended to pass a judgement on any member's dietary habits.

Pranam.

Namaste,

I am not from a vegetarian family but on my way due to various events that occurred in my life.

Personally I don't believe in not eating on the days one visits temple. If that's the case then the devotee should not pray on the days he consume meat.
    Turning into a vegetarian is not that easy. McKitty was able to stay vegetarian in a particular environment, but couldn't continue in an another environment. The lust for non vegetarian food sometimes takes over me. I have stopped feeling guilty when such a situation arise, because feeling guilty doesn't help.

I go back to him and plead to him to give me strength to say no in future. This approach has not only helped me to stay away from non vegetarian foods even in the compelling situation but also has saved from feeling guilty when I cannot control the urge.
    Anirudh...

Thread Information