Thread: Need help finding a prayer

Need help finding a prayer

Hello,

I'm technically not new hinduism since I was brought up a hindu but we were never taught much in the way of religion beyond going to the mandir a few times a year and watching all those religious tv serials so I am pretty clueless. I am reading more scripture now but very much a beginner.

I am looking for a prayer to be said before every meal. I've tried searching for one and all I can find are prayers offering the food to God as prasad. I don't think those would be appropriate since not all my meals are sattvic and without meat (I am vegetarian but do eat eggs and do cook meat for my husband), onion, garlic, etc. I also want to teach my toddler son to do this and he is not a vegetarian.

I was looking for more of a gratitude for the abundance of food type of prayer. Anyone know of one?

Thank you.

Re: Need help finding a prayer

Vannakkam: There's one here. http://www.himalayanacademy.com/audio/chants/

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

May I suggest "Ong Sachchidekam Brahma" when eating? Rather than praying before we eat, which may be more of an Abrahamically influenced concept, can we pray while we eat, offering the food to God through our senses and organs as the altars?

That's not to say one shouldn't offer it to God externally first, or say a prayer before eating, or while cooking, but it is, in my opinion - and I believe supported by shastra, that mantra is more efficacious while eating, than doing it before you eat.

For like to be consecrated and ritualized, all acts should be seen as various forms of worship, and eating is centrally important: the food becomes blood, the blood becomes the essence of vitality, which becomes the spiritual splendor that arises when purified. There is no stronger foundation for building the purifying fire than eating with worship and mindfulness, with gratitude for the sources of the food.

The mantra linked to by EM is beautiful and worthy too...

Namaste

Namaste
    You can give love and thanks to Mother Annapurna Devi for your food. She is Parvati, She will accept even the most simple devotion to Her. Find a picture of Her and give any loving prayer, and there are some on internet.

Namaste
    Here is one prayer you can give to Annapurna Devi. But do not offer Her pork or beef please. She will await your prayer to ask for alms.

Annapurna Sada Purna
    Shankara Prana Vallabhe
    Jyana Vairakya Sowbagya Sidhyartham
    Biksham Dehicha Parvati

Oh Annapurna Complete in All Things
    In the breath of Lord Shiva sheltered
    For perfect wisdom I am Your beggar
    To You Parvati give me Alms

Thank you for all your suggestions. Very helpful.

Namaste,

What god want is bhava (emotion). You should feel that you are attached to God.

Where chanting a proper mantra from shastra in a way it is prescribed to be pronounced have definite effect, you can simply thank God for Providing Food to you.

You can first surrender whatever food you prepare to God by simply saying, "oh God, I surrender this food to you, and take it as a prasad'

All it is needed is to say it from heart.

It does not matter if you are eating non-veg. I do not encourage eating non-veg. What I mean to say is that when the mind becomes pure, you cannot eat non-veg. Your body will reject it.

Don't worry, communicate with God, when proper time comes, things will be alright. Pray in simple words in your mother tongue. It's best language that's suitable for praying.

There is a good conversation regarding meat eating and a good reply by wannabe Yogi

Did Ramakrishna and his followers eat meat?

refer post #8

direct link to post #8's original source

THE ENLIGHTENED BUTCHER(A story from Mahabharata)
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thank you IndiaSpirituality. I agree, the more pure of mind and heart you become, the less you want to eat non-veg. I have never had actual meat. I have had eggs. My problem with "non-veg" is that living in America, it is hard to ever be certain that things do not have some animal products. Meat is such an integral part of eating here. For example, cheese is a big part of non-indian vegetarian food (pizza, pasta, sandwiches) but there is a good chance that most cheeses contain enzymes from animal organs which makes them not-vegetarian. But they are not labeled as such. And eating out has even more obstacles. I did not know this for years until someone pointed it out to me - most soups in restaurants - even simple vegetable/bean soups have chicken broth as their base.

That is what made me nervous about offering food to god that may not be vegetarian.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelyheart View Post
    Thank you IndiaSpirituality. I agree, the more pure of mind and heart you become, the less you want to eat non-veg. I have never had actual meat. I have had eggs. My problem with "non-veg" is that living in America, it is hard to ever be certain that things do not have some animal products. Meat is such an integral part of eating here. For example, cheese is a big part of non-indian vegetarian food (pizza, pasta, sandwiches) but there is a good chance that most cheeses contain enzymes from animal organs which makes them not-vegetarian. But they are not labeled as such. And eating out has even more obstacles. I did not know this for years until someone pointed it out to me - most soups in restaurants - even simple vegetable/bean soups have chicken broth as their base.

That is what made me nervous about offering food to god that may not be vegetarian.
    Do not worry too much. If there is no availability, then you try to avoid as much as you can, but do not be too strict about diet.

You can definitely surrender even non-veg to God. I hope the link about Sri Ramakrishna and Enlightened Butcher might be of any help to you.

If land is barren and no seed can be sown, then for survival, it is ok to eat non-veg food. that's how cultures develops.

I would suggest you to eat whatever available, as some things are not in your hand. We all have desires that need to be fulfilled. We are not saints who do not have any physical work and can live on fruits and milk.

So if pure veg is not available, then do not think too much. Just pray to God and surrender to him or simply remember God before eating. If still you are not comfortable, then pray to God to show you a way so that you can have strict veg diet.

Rest leave it to him. As bhakti, faith and surrender will increase, things will change. Till then have patience.

The place we live in has some culture and it has a definite effect on everyone living in that place.

Afterall this is Kali Yuga. So this things will keep happening. But God is most compassionate and covers a lot of our sins. It's all the effect of this age. We have to pass through it. Just select the best option that is available to you in your locality.

My reply to another thread. A copy quoted here

if you job demands more physical activities or for labour class who do heavy physical work, they cannot live on Fruits. They need solid diet with good nutrients.

But for saints, physical work is minimum. What ever efforts are made are more of mental, like listening to discourse, reading, meditating. So the body fluids used or consumed in these processes can be maintained at a desired level by taking liquid food, fruits, milk, etc.

Regarding eating non-veg.

If the land is not fertile. No kind of seed can be sown, then for survival, you have to kill an animal or a bird and eat it. It is for survival. That's how these cultures have risen (just a personal thought).

Now people eat as a delicacy. Non-veg gives you strength, but not stamina.

Nobody wants to die. So chicken whom is slaughtered is not happy for it's own sacrifice. Now the food cooked with anyone dying with negative emotions, will it protect your body.

Food in ayurveda is called 'Aushada' i.e. medicine to cure a dis-ease called 'bhukha' (hunger).

We talk of animals being killed. Even plants are living being and they do respond to emotions.

You can try it yourself. Take 2 plants of same flowers. Give everything same, same fertilizers, mud, water and sunlight.

Ignore one plant and the another plant, just smile show some love and affection, touch it and move your hand on it like you put your hand on a little child.

You will notice that the plant that is being ignored will give 75% less flowers then other one.

So, if you cut vegetables without their permission, and do not pray to them to be allowed to be eaten and forgive any mistake, then will this food protect this body. Eventually, your mind will grow weak.

On the other hand, plants and trees are created for everyone to satisfy hunger. They are necessary for our survival. Trees have a Guna of 'Paropkara' . (I cant translate it this word into English. maybe someone else can do it.). But still you need to respect them (as per ayurveda), but alas now a days, hardly anyone follows ayurvedic principles.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

I've seen this as a prayer before meals:

Harer Daatha Harer Bhoktha
    Harer Annam Prajaapatih
    Harer Vipra Shareerastu
    Bhoonkte Bhojayathe Hareh.

O Lord Hare, You are the food.
    You are the enjoyer of the food.
    You are the giver of food.
    Therefore, I offer all that I