Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738 LastLast

Thread: I am Shiva

Re: I am Shiva

Namaste

Yet another beautifully sung Nirvanashtakam on You Tube with Sanskrt Devnagiri and Translation by Swami Vivenkananda for each verse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AHBSi2_Dpc&NR=1
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

अवचनचिन्मुद्राभ्यां  अद्वैतं बोधरूपमात्मानम्  ।
    ब्रूते तत्र  च मानं पुस्तक-भुजगाग्निभिर्माहादेवः  ॥

avachana chinmudrAbhyAM advaitaM bodharUpam AtmAnam |
    brUte tatra cha mAnaM pustaka bhujagAgnibhir mAhAdevaH ||

--a shloka that came out from the sage of Shringeri Sri Chandrasekhara BharatI MahAsvAmigaL when he was antarmukham--turned inward

"Maheshvara (in his DakShiNAmUrti avasaram--state), through his maunam--silence, and chinmudrA, gives upadesham--instruction, that AtmA--Self, is advitIyam--without a second, jnAnarUpam--knowledge in form, and sarva-vyApakam--omnipresent. He also gives its pramANam--proof, with the pustakam--book, sarpam--serpent, and agni--fire, (that he has with him)."

Explanation

"Parameshvara, in the DakShiNAmUrti avasaram--state, only through his maunam--silence, and chinmudrA, does give bodhana--enlightenment, of the Atma-tattvam--nature of Self. That AtmA itself as advitIyam--without a second, remains as the only vastu--reality, existence, that is kevala jnAna rUpam--only knowledge in form, and sarva-vyApakam--omnipresent. In this for the advaitam, the pustaka dRShTAntam--example of the book, for the bodharUpam--knowledge/consciousness in form, the sarpa dRShTAntam--example of the serpent, and for the vyApakam--omnipresence, the agni dRShTAntam--example of the fire, can be taken in that kramam--order.

"Just as in a book, although its leaves are many and different, there is aikyam--unity/oneness, in the pustaka rUpam--book form, the bheda--split/break, in the prapancham--universe, and the abedha--unbroken unity, in the brahma rUpam will be obtained. Similarly, as by the rajju-sarpa dRShTAntam--rope-snake example, the amSham--share, of atiShthAnam--instability, and satyam--reality, is obtained, and thereby the chaitanya rUpam is obtained, since only chaitanyam--consciousness, intelligence, is the satyam--reality, By the agni dRShTAntam, the sarva-vyApakatvam--nature of omnipresence, is obtained. Just as the tejas--light energy, is vyApakam all over the bhUmi--earth, the meaning that AtmA is sarva-vyApi is obtained."

(Source: 'guru kripA vilAsam', a Tamil publication)
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Here is another beautiful youtube video.

It is part of a series called the Cosmic Dance of Shiva

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv04dFleZfQ

Pranam,

Devi

Shiva is the hindu god who is said as Purusham tamasah parastat , far far away from the darkness of Ignorance . No shabda pramanas in any of the hindu scriptures deny the kind mercy of lord shiva on its devotees . Ya nisha sarva bhutanam tasyam jagarti sanyami, is the declaration of Krishna . The days of physical pleasures are due to Ignorance and are as dark as night for the devotees of Shiva and celebrated as Shivaratri .
    Nisha ghor gambheer ati panth na milahi sujan, goswamiji hints about the darkness of physical world pleasures and tells that all the welfare scriptures disappear in the darkness of Ignorance .
    The mind is said as the main carrier of the senses which indulge the body in false pleasures . Tanme manah shiva sankalpmastu is the main vow for shiva devotees on the shivaratri . This mind/mann when trained to mitrasya chakshusha samikshamahe or towards the welfare of the mankind , the whole world can be converted to a family or vasudhaiva kutumbakam .Control of mind is necessary as Indriyaanaam hi charataam yanmanonuvidheeyate;
    Tadasya harati prajnaam vaayur naavam ivaambhasi.
    For the mind which follows in the wake of the wandering senses, carries away his
    discrimination as the wind (carries away) a boat on the waters. Therefore the shivaratri is mainly the day of love to humanity and the day of firm determination of service to the nature and environment as the worship is done mainly by leafs and fruits etc.
    Also the shivaratri is celebrated as Shiva-Parvati wedding day .

Shankara in two avatars

If it weren't for His tolerance for the vilest of poison, which not even devas and Vishnu could tolerate, Bhole, who lives in his lowers, wears rasta hair, drinks, smokes, dopes and dances wildly with prakriti as consort, could be just one of us. He however is the highest teacher who shows the material universe to be ephemeral.

Another Shankara, known as Shankaracharya, intellectually proves that one will not carry a needle to the other world. He also shows that one will come back again here, hankering for such needles.

These two are His extreme avatars but He fills the spectrum. Who says He does not come? Veda says the opposite. Rudra comes for the good of mankind.

Prostrations to the destroyer.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 20 March 2010 at 10:45 PM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Brahmo ham

Shivo ham

Soham

Ham

Om

Last edited by devisarada; 20 March 2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: clarity

"See thyself and see the Lord"
    That is the revealed word,
    And hard indeed is its sense,
    For the seeing Self is not to be seen,
    How then is the Sight of the Lord?
    To be food unto Him, that indeed is to see Him.

Forty Verses on Reality by Shri Ramana
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Shankara in two avatars

If it weren't for His tolerance for the vilest of poison, which not even devas and Vishnu could tolerate.........

Prostrations to the destroyer.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Certainly, NeelKantha did something no one could. Since Bhagavan Shankar and VishNu are SELF of each other and role players...

Wouldn't saying "poison that even VishNu cannot tolerate..." be taking it a bit far ? Unless its a Shaiva Leela. Then its OK. Because VaishNavas make similar statements about Shiva.
    This is only to point out to anyone who comes with qns on Vishnu and Shiva. Its Vaishnav Leela and Shaiva Leela - such statements are to show exclusive love and devotion towards one form of God, while being very affectionate towards His other form.

However, BhagvAn VishNu as NeelKantha-Shiva was playing the role of drinking up the poison so the children will be safe from it. Such VAtsalya !

In the position of VishNu He would not perform that Leela then, but VishNu drinks poison all the time - one example is taking avatAr and going thru' all that comes with it - just for us.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Om Namo NArAyaNAya
    Om Namo Bhagavate VAsudevAya

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    To be food unto Him, that indeed is to see Him.

Forty Verses on Reality by Shri Ramana
    I really like that
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Namaste

Certainly, NeelKantha did something no one could. Since Bhagavan Shankar and VishNu are SELF of each other and role players...

Wouldn't saying "poison that even VishNu cannot tolerate..." be taking it a bit far ?
    Namaste Smaranam

No for a couple of reasons. First and primarily this is Shiva Puja. Second Vishnu gains the world. The other gains nothing and loses nothing.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 09 May 2010 at 01:04 AM.

I

Rabindranath Tagore

I wonder if I know him
    In whose speech is my voice,
    In whose movement is my being,
    Whose skill is in my lines,
    Whose melody is in my songs
    In joy and sorrow.
    I thought he was chained within me,
    Contained by tears and laughter,
    Work and play.
    I thought he was my very self
    Coming to an end with my death.
    Why then in a flood of joy do I feel him
    In the sight and touch of my beloved?
    This 'I' beyond self I found
    On the shores of the shining sea.
    Therefore I know
    This 'I' is not imprisoned within my bounds.
    Losing myself, I find him
    Beyond the borders of time and space.
    Through the Ages
    I come to know his Shining Self
    In the life of the seeker,
    In the voice of the poet.
    From the dark clouds pour the rains.
    I sit and think:
    Bearing so many forms, so many names,
    I come down, crossing the threshold
    Of countless births and deaths.
    The Supreme undivided, complete in himself,
    Embracing past and present,
    Dwells in Man.
    Within Him I shall find myself -
    The 'I' that reaches everywhere.

Om Namah Shivaya

Thread Information