The HINDU DHARMA FORUMS for discussion of Sanatana Dharma, Hindu Religion and Indian Culture. [link to HDF home]  

Go Back   Hindu Dharma Forums > Sanatana Dharma > Meditation
Join Us! Rules/FAQ Library Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Meditation Discuss and learn about Meditation here.

Meditation - Hindu or Buddhist?

Old 08 March 2012, 01:22 PM
Shambo Mahadeva

sankar is a pundit of hindu dharmasankar is a pundit of hindu dharmasankar is a pundit of hindu dharmasankar is a pundit of hindu dharmasankar is a pundit of hindu dharmasankar is a pundit of hindu dharmasankar is a pundit of hindu dharmasankar is a pundit of hindu dharmasankar is a pundit of hindu dharmasankar is a pundit of hindu dharmasankar is a pundit of hindu dharma
Re: Meditation - Hindu or Buddhist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya3 View Post
Sankar,

So then it is really the same, is it then that Buddhist don't speak of the void as God because he/she/it is indescribable?
honestly, im not sure about this.
but the mahayana sect of buddhism worship Buddha as godhead, but not as creator god.

Last edited by sankar : 08 March 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08 March 2012, 04:21 PM

kamala is on the path of sanatana dharmakamala is on the path of sanatana dharmakamala is on the path of sanatana dharmakamala is on the path of sanatana dharmakamala is on the path of sanatana dharmakamala is on the path of sanatana dharma

Hindu, but it is both since both are Sanatan.

Just like saying "Is breathing air a Hindu or Buddhist tradition?"
Old 10 March 2012, 07:48 PM
etad vai tat

yajvan has disabled reputation

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

If I may, I'd like to offer the following for one's kind consideration. Let's look to a well respected āgama of śaivism ( trika specifically), the mālinīvijayottaratantra. Its focus is that of tattvajaya ( the ~conquest~ or attainment of Reality). This great work informs us that the aspirant's (yogin, sādhu, etc.) aim or lakṣya¹ of practice is considered 6 fold:
  • vyoman - space, ether or as we call it ākāśa and perhaps in the conversation of this string ~void~
  • vigraha - independence, seperation
  • bindu - (some write vindu) a detached particle , drop , globule , dot , spot
  • arṇa - syllable or sound; phoneme
  • bhuvana - the world
  • dhvani - sound, resonance ( also an extended use is 'hint, implied meaning')
The 6 fold idea is also supported by the dikṣottara tantra; it says
saḍvidhas tu śivo jñeyo yoginā sumahātmanā

This says, the great-souled yogin should understand śiva as being 6 fold (saḍvidhas). In this case, śiva is the Reality the mālinīvijayottaratantra is targeting (lakṣya).

So why mention all this ? The discussion in the string has been buddhism is more about the ~void~ , getting 'into the void'.
Yet this āgama which is not buddhist, clearly indicates vyoman - space (ether, ākāśa) void as a mark ( lakṣya ).

So there must be more to this then meets the eye. We know of 'void', vyoman, ākāśa and some upaniṣads call out kha as empty space or void. It suggests that this idea is beyond a 'school of thought' but a reality that is worthy of pursuit and understanding.

praṇām

words
  • lakṣya - an object aimed at ; mark
  • kha - vacuity , empty space , air , ether , sky and we find its root in √khan - a cavity , hollow , cave , cavern , aperture

शिवतुल्यो जायते॥
__śivatulyo jāyate
____yajvan___
_oṁ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ

Last edited by yajvan : 10 March 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10 March 2012, 11:45 PM

PARAM is guru indeed !PARAM is guru indeed !PARAM is guru indeed !PARAM is guru indeed !PARAM is guru indeed !PARAM is guru indeed !PARAM is guru indeed !PARAM is guru indeed !PARAM is guru indeed !PARAM is guru indeed !PARAM is guru indeed !

Buddhism itself comes from Hinduism, Buddha learned Meditation from a Hindu Brahmin Rudrak Ramputra, Buddhist Meditation is just a little part of Hindu.
Old 20 July 2013, 05:33 AM

DMartyr has found the way of dharma

im not sure if this topic is still open i dont know alot between the 2 religious types i did read a few books before i started and have been practicing "Vipassana" meditation (concious thought on the breath) the main purpose is to clear your mind, much like the empty sleep before the dreams however you stay awake and the main purpose is to help direct and control the flow of thoughts that come in your brain. if i see God in the process i will take it as a blessing, however that is not my purpose as of now, possibly down the road.