Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does someone with a Christian background learn/get immersed into Hinduism

How does someone with a Christian background learn/get immersed into Hinduism

Obviously anyone can read information online, but if someone is trying to learn about and get into the religion, what would you recommend? I live in NYC, so obviously there are Hindu temples and such. I don't actually know any Hindu individuals however, and I'd be scared going in alone, if that was even a possibility. And even if I did go alone, they doesn't mean I'd actually know what to do.

Re: How does someone with a Christian background learn/get immersed into Hinduism

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRose3000 View Post
    Obviously anyone can read information online, but if someone is trying to learn about and get into the religion, what would you recommend? I live in NYC, so obviously there are Hindu temples and such. I don't actually know any Hindu individuals however, and I'd be scared going in alone, if that was even a possibility. And even if I did go alone, they doesn't mean I'd actually know what to do.
    Vannakkam and Welcome BR:

Most, but not all, Hindu temples are non-congregational, unlike Christianity. So people will go in, walk around, sit down, say some prayers, and then leave. This can be as short as 5 minutes, or as long as 2 hours, or more. For some temples, there will be a congregational style bhajan or group worship one or twice a week, and on holy days or festivals.

I'd recommend the Ganesha temple in Flushing in Queens (mostly because I've been there, although that was 30 years ago, and it may have changed) Yes, it is indeed possible for you to go there, as long as you follow the protocol.

If you're anywhere close to there, and you're seriously interested, I can walk you through it from here, on HDF. Here is their detailed website: http://www.nyganeshtemple.org/home.aspx I see they are now open 8AM until 9PM seven days a week, so you should have no problem going on an off time. (not busy)

Aum Namasivaya

Re: How does someone with a Christian background learn/get immersed into Hinduism

Google 'western hindus' and follow the chain blogs given there. There are many people working on this and they will make good role models for one and all. It is a long journey sometimes prove to be very tedious someother times very exciting. Namaste.

become enlightened, then be immersed in the self.

good question.
    can be hard to shift from christianity to hinduism.
    living in india, dont know much abt temples in NYC but books and scriptures will surely help.
    you can choose from vast books on basis of your intrst

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRose3000 View Post
    what would you recommend?
    One thing you can do is begin reading... there is so much to consider. It is best you do not start at the deep end of the pool. That is, avoid tackling the most esoteric knowledge, start with something that resonates with you.

What would be one recommedation ? Come to know the 6 schools of thought . How does one do that ? Consider ' The Systems of Indian Philosophy' by Subodh Kapoor ( ISBN 81-7755-887-0 , a 2 book set)

Why start with reading ? Knowledge is the basis of correct action. Come to understand the subject you are considering a bit more. No different then driving a car, no ? What are the rules of the road, what of the all the buttons and knobs in the car ? What do they do ?
    Now just like driving you need not worry about how the gears and transmission work, how the engine converts energy to motion. Get to know your subject matter a bit better.

Many here can assist you on entry level reading - there is an ocean of knowledge for one's benefit.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 12 February 2012 at 02:57 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

self study and the inner guru are the pathway through all wisdom traditions.

just my 2c.

-dale

Naturally.

http://www.hafsite.org/resources/hinduism_101

Suggest you look at recommended reading section and get a couple of books.

Namaste BloodyRose,

I believe the most important thing to do before getting immersed into Hinduism is to completely drop and dissipate all remnants of Christianity from your consciousness. I'm not saying you haven't already done this, and perhaps it would be difficult to rid yourself of all prior Christian internal influence, but it would definitely be of much aid to get rid of nearly all of it or as much as you possibly can.

Some would prefer to engage in both processes at once, the dropping of a Christian background and the immersion into Sanatana Dharma at the same time. I would advise against this. Although, being a born Hindu, I do not have any prior experience in such matters, I have observed and become acquainted with several people who have taken this dual path of dropping/acquiring at the same time. It is a clear conclusion from the observation and analysis of the people thereof that such a path only leads to confusion above all else.

In such intricately significant matters as religion and one's deepest internal beliefs and philosophical worldview, it is best to follow a boldly clear and above all honest path deprived of all inconsistent irregularities. It is perfectly reasonable and actually a quite beautiful feature of Sanatana Dharma to be exposed to just one tiny aspect of it and have that ingrained to a significantly alterable degree in one's consciousness. Yet, before sprouting the blissful seeds of Sanatana Dharma, one must clear the garden of their conscience of all (or nearly all) obstructive and hindering elements. Such elements are the remnants and "leftovers" from prior exposure to Christianity and Abrahamicism in general. As long as they are present in the garden of your consciousness, they will hinder the fostering of the seeds of Sanatana Dharma at the least, and at the worst, they will attach themselves onto the sprouting buds of Sanatana Dharma and remain there. In that case, it will be like a cancer, slowly eating away and seemingly unceasingly destroying one's very inner being, creating utter confusion and inevitable spiritual bankruptcy which becomes evident in a garden deprived of all beauty and fertility.

In order to make the soil of your garden of consciousness fertile and suitable to grow the seeds of Sanatana Dharma, you must engage in much intuition. The intuition will involve the removing off all weeds, the destruction of all invasive species, and the overall purification of the atmosphere. All of this means the internal destruction and complete (or nearly complete) annihilation of prior Christian beliefs, ideas, influences, etc. You must internally ask and analyze whether or not you still truly believe in Christianity, Jesus, the Bible, etc. If not, why not? Once complete satisfaction and utter removal of all hindering elements in your consciousness are removed, the atmosphere becomes suitably purified for the delicate yet powerful seeds of Sanatana Dharma to grow, sprout, flower, and bliss in your very reality.

Ramakrishna
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Thread Information