Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Post images of your shrine!

Re: Post images of your shrine!

Thank you for the picture of your shrine, EM and to Star for posting it! It's beautiful, and looks like it is prayed at a lot.

I've extended my own shrine to include Lord Shiva and Mother Durga along with my first Ganesha murti:

sunyata: Nice mala. Where did you get it?

When I see a mala in a store, the first thing I do is count the beads. If its fake, its not 108. Store owners get a little curious. The guy at the narmada lingam store here was sort of surprised whe I asked if I could roll it on the floor.

There's something oddly funny about the intercultural humour in all that. If you play dumb, and ask a store owner (especially western) what this (Ganesha murthi, for example) you'd be surprised at the naivety.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Beautiful Sunyata. I was thinking of possibly putting Lord Muruqa pic in my shrine. Still contemplating it.

EM i know exactly what you mean. I was checking out a mala at this oriental store it is 108, but I am not sure if i want to spend any money on it hehe.

I got it from the yogabasics website. I've used it before to buy my first mala, so I knew it was one I could trust. Why would you roll it on the ground? To get a feel for the beads themselves? Actually, I found that doing japa with the rudraksha mala was quite tricky at first - the beads were so knobbly compared to my old sandalwood mala!

SS, I don't think it would do any harm to add to your shrine (but I talk from my intuition here, and not experience! ), especially if you have room. I think you mentioned wanting to get a Lord Murugan murti though at some point. A murti would be something you should consider a little longer I think, as it would need to be bathed and looked after. So if you have a spare photo frame and a good printer, why not?

Namaste,

I think your right. To be honest I have been thinking of maybe no longer doing puja and just focusing on yogic practices. I think maybe because I am not too deep in my practice to perform Puja with a single minded effort. Plus the responsibility of clothing the statues. I dont think my belief or faith is good enough for that. So maybe I should just spend more time in meditation and using the techniques from Paramahansa Yogananda's course. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    Why would you roll it on the ground?
    lol

Sorry for the confusion. It was about the narmada lingams. You roll then on the ground to see if they wobble a bit to prove they weren't just cut on a lathe.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté

images of a shrine ( for me) is His Creation.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 18 February 2011 at 05:28 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste yajvan,

That is a beautiful sentiment. I agree there is no greater shrine than our natural world.
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Yajvan: Agreed!

Isn't it nice that this technology of the internet can allow you to 'see' such sights. In the old days (some of our youngsters couldn't relate) you had to browse libraries, purchase expensive photography books, or subscribe to National Geographic. There are sites of photos that would take you days to browse.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Yajvan: Agreed!

Isn't it nice that this technology of the internet can allow you to 'see' such sights. In the old days (some of our youngsters couldn't relate) you had to browse libraries, purchase expensive photography books, or subscribe to National Geographic. There are sites of photos that would take you days to browse.

Aum Namasivaya
    Pranam,
    How do you put pictures of your shrine here?

Namaste,

Thread Information