Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Abrahamic Religions and God Realization

Re: Abrahamic Religions and God Realization

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalGypsi View Post
    (Love) is the call of God to all creatures,
    ~Yogananda
    namaskar MG,
    Thank you for the beautiful poem by yogananda. The peom is perfectly in line with the teachings of Dharma.

Pity that adherents of abrahamic religions do not have the same understanding of the teachings of their own gurus.

Where a guru gets murdered and hung on a cross for delivering a similar message, how can one find hope?
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3] Sure christianity and islam are finding a lot of converts in foreign lands but maybe that is because people are looking around and thinking that the god of these religions takes pretty good care of his adherents.
    Namaste Willie,
    No you have it wrong. The reason why christianity and islam are finding a lot of converts is not due to their god 'taking care of their adherents' but due to the aggression of their adherents on the foreign lands.

Specifically in India, christian aggression has been passive since before the british ruled us but lately has been very active to the point of causing violence all over the place.

Before british ruled and robbed us, the whole of India went through slavery of muslims, where hindus and sikhs were burned alive, children beheaded, girls raped. The muslim aggression was so brutal that women chose to throw themselves alive in a fire pit instead of getting raped by adherents of this religion to save their dignity.

If anything that the god of these religions does for their adherents, it is: acceptance and promotion of these brutal acts against humanity.

The God of the Old Testament has got to be the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous, and proud of it, petty, vindictive, unjust, unforgiving, racist. -- Richard Dawkins,
    Last edited by satay; 15 June 2007 at 09:31 AM.
    satay

In "real life", I don't see Hindu peoples constantly comparing their religion with other religions. I am not sure I understand this need to compare and point out flaws in other religions on this board. Or even if not pointing out flaws, there seems to be so many posts about being the best or defensive with other world views.

Just be. There really is no need to feel inferior or superior. Just be what you are.

namaste MG,

(no I am not picking on you again)

let me see if I can offer a different point of view without being too harsh and without comparing religions.

First, let's examine this statement: 'just be what you are' I have thought about this statement now for a few days but am unable to see how this applies to the problem hinduism is facing right now.

'Just be what you are' sounds all great and is very soothing to the heart.
    'Just be what you are' nothing more, nothing less, just be...
    Great indeed...

However, the statement is also very limiting!

For example, would you say this same statement to a child who is not doing so great in his school work?

Would you say this to someone who is getting robbed, what if worse, they are getting raped or murdered? Would you recommend to them, "just be what you are"?

What if a person had cancer and clearly he should seek medical advice, would you say, "just be what you are?"

'Just be what you are' applies to those who are already aware of the situation and responding accordingly.

It doesn't apply to those who are sleeping and the house is getting robbed. If the house is getting robbed, we should not be 'just what we are', We should 'wake up'

The irony of this statement 'Just be what you' are applies only to those who are already functioning at the optimal level. What of those who need improvement?

Second, you don't see hindus comparing religions in real life, yes, that is true. Most hindus don't care about other religions and are satisfied with the knowledge they received from their parents about dharma and dharmic activities. Most hindus, do a prayer in their puja room in their house and go about their daily business. This is the beauty of dharma. However, this is also the reason why adherents of other religions are able to force feed us messages such as " hinduism says, all religions are same" "hinduism is a cult" "hinduism is satan's religions" etc. etc. and the list goes on.
    Last edited by satay; 15 June 2007 at 10:26 AM.
    satay

4. Re: Abrahamic Religions and God Realization

Satay,

I am not going to argue. You really are consumed with this though. It is a bondage to you. And, I do not mean that in judgemental way. I hope you move past this to just being in the healthy sense I meant it.
    Those who in penance and faith dwell in the forest, peaceful and wise,living a mendicant's life, free from passion depart through the door ofthe sun to the place of the immortal Person, the imperishable Self.Atharva Veda, Mundaka Upanishad 1.2.11. ve p. 415

(Love) is the call of God to all creatures,
    Animate and inanimate,
    To return to his house of Oneness.
    Love is the heartbeat of all life,
    And the angel of incarnation.
    Love is born in the garden of soul progress,
    And it sleeps behind the darkness of other attachments.
    It is the oldest and the sweetest nectar,
    Preserved in the bottles of hearts.
    Love is the light that dissolves all walls,
    Between souls, families and nations.
    Love is the unfading blossom of pure friendship,
    In the garden of both young and mature souls.
    Love is the door to heaven, the completed songs of souls.

~Yogananda

And as per Bhagvad Gita, Love also comes from Atman ~ the one truth. But why do people think love needs to come at the cost of Truth itself ??

In this world to put forward one, we need to cut away another...that's duality. It has nothing for or against love, unless it is the emotional reactions we are confusing ourselves to.

Anyways no point arguing...may each of us realize the truth in our time.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

"Love everyone, everything", is an ideal, a saintly quality.

However, while in contact with material nature, there comes a time, when one must drawn the lines.

In the Bhagavad Gita, even Krishna, was a charioteer for His friend Arjuna, in the Battle of Kuruksetra.
    Om purnam adah, purnam idam, purnat purnam udacyate; purnasya purnam adaya purnam evavasisyate.
    Om Santih! Santih! Santih!

Satay,

I am not going to argue. You really are consumed with this though. It is a bondage to you. And, I do not mean that in judgemental way. I hope you move past this to just being in the healthy sense I meant it.
    Namaste MG,
    I appreciate your post and your concern about my well being. However, I am not sure what you mean by 'consumed with this'. Not sure what you are referring to.

If you mean, that I am consumed with the effort of 'waking up hindus' for the benefit of our children, then I am not so sure that I agree. I am too busy to be consumed with this. I am only making an observation and offering a different point of view.

Do you think that 'just be what we are' applies to those who need to improve ? If we should just be what we are then why even pursue 'love' or 'truth'? Why make any effort at all to do anything?
    satay

8. Re: Abrahamic Religions and God Realization

You misunderstand my definition of love. I am not saying mushy, unrealistic love. One of the practical reasons to love with boundaries as opposed to attack is...if you attack, you give the opponent power. If you love with boundaries, you retain your power. Plus, you avoid dipping into emotional lashing out at innocent people and stereotyping, which we can never justify.

I also am slightly amused that if I don't agree with some of the posts, I must be a Christian. I am not. I have also received private emails telling me that "we" feel this way. So, since I disagree, I am pushed out. This is really common, scary human nature. We have to "our" team and "their" team to feel satisfied. Unfortunately for our argument, the teams are an illusion.

Let's say Person A comes to my house and says in a nutshell, "Hindus are bad, Christ does not like you, repent!". Okay, person A is annoying and violating my right to peace at my home. I have a couple of options.

I respond in the same way, which may make me feel better (in the wordly, maya, flesh) and say, "I cannot stand you or your kind. There is nothing good about you or your kind". Then, I can be vigilant to make sure I keep this belief no matter who I meet. But, what do I accomplish, besides spreading more of the same thing that Person A is bringing to my door?

I could be mushy love and let this person walk all over me. I could say "Well, come in" and listen quietly, no matter how I feel. This is bad also because the person does not learn anything and I do not respect myself.

Option three would be to meditate first on this issue, because we all know this sweeps out the emotional clutter and helps us see reality. So, we could love Person A, realizing his shadows are our shadows. BUT, we can clearly state our boundaries, in love. "This is my home, I am a Hindu, please leave".

Obviously, this is over simplified, but hope you get the idea.

As far as others converting to Christianity, you will never stop them by militantcy. It only serves to push people further away. Plus, in this global world there will be more converts among all sorts of religions. Christian parents and families are just as stressed as you about Christians converting to another religion. And, Muslim parents and families the same. But, the world is ever going global and people are curious about other cultures and religions. And, I agree the "fear" factor of Christianity is an unfair card they play. But, option three is still the best option. An extension of this option would be to put money and time and resources into education about Hinduism or information about Christianity; pass laws about people going door to door (or lobbying for those laws), etc.

My problem with Option 1, where you lash back is that it continues to fuel what this world is full of. The constant, "he hit me, so I am going to hit him harder" or "he hit me, so I am justified in hitting him" or worse yet, "he hit me, so I am justified in not only hitting him, but his daughter and his aunt and his friend...." or "he hit me, so I will never allow myself to believe there are any good within his kind".
    Those who in penance and faith dwell in the forest, peaceful and wise,living a mendicant's life, free from passion depart through the door ofthe sun to the place of the immortal Person, the imperishable Self.Atharva Veda, Mundaka Upanishad 1.2.11. ve p. 415

Hari Om
    ~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    "Love everyone, everything", is an ideal, a saintly quality. However, while in contact with material nature, there comes a time, when one must drawn the lines.

In the Bhagavad Gita, even Krishna, was a charioteer for His friend Arjuna, in the Battle of Kuruksetra.
    Namaste Kaos,
    A very insightful post... Many have a 'feel' of what love is; all know it when they see it. yet we on HDF have not explored it as a conversation. We are as humans expected to know this love almost as a pre-requisite... as if someone mentions it and people nod Oh , yes this love is a great thing. Yet each nod has a different view point, passion, and experience of this love.

If one watched TV and came to the conclusion based upon the acts we see on TV , I think we would agree that is NOT it.
    Many say Love is God. That very well may be, yet it does not help us (me) comprehend the welling-up of emotion, of happiness , that accompanies this feeling.

So, to define this emotion, this feeling I think is to help with the conversation.

I have some views on this, so let me start. It does not even suggest that I am right, but for me, at this level of development, it 'feels' right. So let me give it a go, again not lecturing, just the experiences of life and being attentive to this 'feeling'.

For me, love is the highest level of appreciation one can have for another... I stop at another because love/appreciation as I see it is not limited to a another human. Many love their pets, their cars, etc. This appreciation gets to the feeling I have, but still requires and few more additions.
    With this appreciation, one can then adore what one appreciates. So, for me some of the components when one adores+appreciates this thing of love, then there is an intimacy that is desired, a closeness, to know this love intimately.

Now I revert back to the saint that loves all - this can happen when one knows Brahman, the All. Then every-thing is known intimately as an extension of ones SELF. This robust love is then a daily natural thing and not contrived, no pretending to love all... it is just a natural thing.

I can only think of the first mantra of the Rig Ved - it says agnim ile... Agni I adore.
    The first words for all the veda's start with the highest level of appreciation of Agni, Divine will. This is because the rishi Madhuchandis has intimate connection with this Divine Will in him, in his consciousness.

Until that time we need to do the best we can with this love of all things, and the help of yama and niyama to assist.

pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

India got a lot from the british, more than it lost. They left behind some form of government , a legal system, a language the public officials had to speak so others could understand them and the commonwealth system. That alone enabled a lot of indians to move to australia, canada , britian and other parts of the old empire.

Of course, you could have been ruled by the spanish. Then you could really complain.

Thread Information