Thread: Enlightenment

Question Enlightenment

What happens to you when you die if you've attained enlightenment? Do the scriptures speak on this?

If you've attained enlightenment, is it possible that you can lose it? Can your ego comeback?

Re: Enlightenment

This thread may be of help.

In general, depending upon the philosophy of the darshana, description of moksha varies.

For eg. Nyaya and Samkhya define moksha as absence of pain.

Vedanta generally tends to define moksha as a positive experience of bliss. This derives from the fact that Brahman's essence is defined as existence-consciousness-bliss. In moksha, the jiva attains varying degrees of equality with Brahman and hence partakes of its bliss to varying degrees.

I suggest Ramanuja's commentary on the Gita for a Vaishnavite POV.

namaste Krishna,

Quote Originally Posted by कृष्ण View Post
    What happens to you when you die if you've attained enlightenment? Do the scriptures speak on this?

If you've attained enlightenment, is it possible that you can lose it? Can your ego comeback?
    Enlightenment occurs when you become aware of the Reality as It is. Scriptures talk on enlightenment in many places. You may read Bhagwad Gita, Upanishads and many other Advaitic scriptures.

This world is like a dream and you don't see the reality. You feel that you are limited, weak and different from others ... but the Reality is just the opposite. What happens to an enlightened being ? He enjoys unlimited bliss and freedom from being limited in anyway. He doesn't see anything different from Himself. He is free from all merits and sins.

The Direct experience of the Reality is not describable in words but you may get some hints from these sayings :

Nisargadatta Maharaj :

You realize beyond all trace of doubt that the world is in you, and not you in the world.
    Swami Mukunda :

You are the entire universe.
    You are in all, and all is in you.
    Sun, moon, and stars revolve within you.
    AshtAvakra Gita :

The Universe produced phenomenally in me, is pervaded by me…
    From me the world is born, in me it exists, in me it dissolves.
    Kabir :

Everyone has seen a drop of water merging into the Ocean. I have seen the Ocean merging into the drop of water.
    OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté कृष्ण (kṛṣṇa)

Quote Originally Posted by कृष्ण View Post

Devotee has given you excellent information... I have little to add other then this: if one has reached this most natural state of mokṣa there is no death. The body and its component parts (tattva-s) return to their rightful place.

Yet your question revolves around 'when you die' . Who is this 'you' ? With the full blossoming of Being, we find that this 'you' is universal in nature.

Kṛṣṇa-ji informs us in the chapter 2, 12th śloka of the bhāgavad gītā:
    there never was a time when I was not, nor you, nor these rulers
    of men. Nor will there ever be a time when all of us shall cease to be.

Kṛṣṇa-ji throughly and completely answers your question. If there was never a time when 'you' were not, how then can there be death? Our responsibility is to re-member the real 'you'. This is at the core of sanātana dharma . Anything other then this is just supporting details.

śivāya gamyatām ( a prosperous journey to you)

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information