Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: I am Shiva

Re: I am Shiva

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté

I thought to share a new name for śiva I have not seen before:
    smarāri = smarā+ri = smara-astru
    • smara¹ as a noun we have seen before, it means remembering; yet in the masculine gender it is another name for kāma-deva, and the epithet for passions.
    • śatru - is defined as over-thrower; it is from śat that is rooted in śad meaning 'superior , prevail , triumph'.
    Hence smara-śatru is He that overthrows , is superior and prevails over passions.

ॐ स्मरारि नमः
    oṁ smarāri namaḥ

praām
    words and references
    Last edited by yajvan; 16 January 2010 at 01:07 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

The first six verses of the 34th adhyAya--chapter, of the Shukla Yajur Veda, constitute this subhymn. All these six verses end with the refrain

tanme manaH shivasaMkalpamastu
    On-that-auspicious-will-of-Shiva-may my mind dwell.

Shiva is defined in the sixth verse as THAT which abides in the heart and carefully guides all persons. By becoming conscious of his/its divine will, we can intuitively perform actions effectively in the outer world.

यज्जाग्रतो दूरमुदैति दैवं तदु सुप्तस्य तथैवैति ।
    दूरङ्गमं ज्योतिषां ज्योतिरेकं तन्मे मनः शिवसंकल्पमस्तु ॥३४.१॥

yajjAgrato dUramudaiti daivaM tadu suptasya tathaivaiti |
    dUra~ggamaM jyotiShAM jyotirekaM tanme manaH shivasaMkalpamastu ||34.1||

The Divine Essence that goes away,
    from the waking, and likewise from the sleeping,
    and that one far-travelling Light of Lights,

येन कर्मण्यिपसो मनीषिणो यज्ञे कृण्वन्ति विदथेषु धीराः ।
    यद्पूर्वं यक्षमन्तः प्रजानां तन्मे मनः शिवसंकल्पमस्तु ॥३४.२॥

yena karmaNyipaso manIShiNo yaj~je kRuNvanti vidatheShu dhIrAH |
    yadpUrvaM yakShamantaH prajAnAM tanme manaH shivasaMkalpamastu ||34.2||

That by which wise men, skilful in rituals,
    and steady in assemblies, perform their tasks,
    that peerless Spirit that lies in all creatures,

यत्प्रज्ञानमुत चेतो धृतिश्च यज्ज्योतिरन्तरमृतं प्रजासु ।
    यस्मान्न ऋते किं चन कर्म क्रियते तन्मे मनः शिवसंकल्पमस्तु ॥३४.३॥

yatpraj~jAnamuta cheto dhRutishcha yajjyotirantaramRutaM prajAsu |
    yasmAnna Rute kiM chana karma kriyate tanme manaH shivasaMkalpamastu ||34.3||

That which is deep knowledge, intellect, memory,
    that which is the deathless Flame in living beings,
    without which nothing whatever is done,

येनेदं भूतं भुवनं भविष्यत् परिगृहीतममृतेन सर्वम् ।
    येन यज्ञस्तायते सप्तहोता तन्मे मनः शिवसंकल्पमस्तु ॥३४.४॥

yenedaM bhUtaM bhuvanaM bhaviShyat parigRuhItamamRutena sarvam |
    yena yaj~jastAyate saptahotA tanme manaH shivasaMkalpamastu ||34.4||

That immortal Essence by which all
    the past and present world is comprehended,
    by which the ritual spreads with the seven priests,

The seven hotas--priests, are the chief hota and his six assistants: Prashasta, BrAhmaNachchamsi, Bodha, Neshthi, Agnidhra, ichchvAka. The seven hotas are also considered to be the seven rays of the sun and as the seven breaths in head.

यस्मिन्नृचः साम यजूषि यस्मिन् प्रतिष्ठता रथनाभाविवाराः ।
    यस्मिशिचत्त सर्वमोतं तन्मे मनः शिवसंकल्पमस्तु ॥३४.५॥

yasminnRuchaH sAma yajU#f3;Shi yasmin pratiShThatA rathanAbhAvivArAH |
    yasmishichatta#f3; sarvamotaM tanme manaH shivasaMkalpamastu ||34.5||

That in which the Rik, the SAman, the Yajus are held firm,
    like spokes in the nave of a chariot-wheel,
    in which all thoughts of living beings lie interwoven,

सुषारथिरश्वानिव यन्मनुष्यान्नेनियतऽभीशुभिर्वाजिन इव ।
    हृत्प्रतिष्ठं यदजिरं जविष्ठं तन्मे मनः शिवसंकल्पमस्तु ॥३४.६॥

suShArathirashvAniva yanmanuShyAnneniyata&bhIshubhirvAjina iva |
    hRutpratiShThaM yadajiraM javiShThaM tanme manaH shivasaMkalpamastu ||34.6||

That which guides men like a good charioteer
    who controls fleet-footed horses with the reins,
    that which abides in the heart, most swift and active,
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

yajjyotirantaramRutaM prajAsu |

Saideoji , this translation is not proper . It says that the mann or mind remains live after the death of body even, see what Krsn says
    Shareeram yadavaapnoti yacchaapyutkraamateeshwarah;
    Griheetwaitaani samyaati vaayurgandhaanivaashayaat.
    When the Lord obtains a body and when He leaves it, He takes these and goes (with them, means mann or mind with five senses ]
    as the wind takes the scents from their seats (flowers, etc.).

So mann does not die even after body dies .Therefore Krsn says to find parmatma with controlled mind .

namaste Guptaji.

yatpraj~jAnamuta cheto dhRutishcha yajjyotirantaramRutaM prajAsu |
    yasmAnna Rute kiM chana karma kriyate tanme manaH shivasaMkalpamastu ||34.3||

That which is deep knowledge, intellect, memory,
    without which nothing whatever is done,

I don't get your point: are you saying that the above translation refers to a mind that is mortal, whereas as ShrI KRShNa says it is immortal (according to the beautiful quote you have given), so the translation is improper?

But then I don't find that the translation, which is that of SAKSI, rerers to a mortal mind. All the six verses speak about the manifestation of Shiva's saMkalpaM--will, in the jIva as Atman, which in this verse is the deathless Flame which presides over the deep knowledge, intellect and memory which are components of the mind. The verses urge us to meditate and identify ourselves with and as the deathless Flame which is nothing but Shiva-saMkalpa so we may live our life intutively in the right way.

The deathless Flame abides in the heart. It is reflected as the power of mind in the subtle matter that makes the components of the mind. The jIva because of the mAyA of avidyA takes the discrete reflection to be its original self and hence the problems of samsAra arise. When the mind is aligned with the Flame of Shiva-saMkalpa, the jIva's life of samsAra is automatically aligned into the spiritual harmony and balance required towards Self-Realization.

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Yes Saideoji , you are right
    This isyad+jyotih+antah+amratam means after death of body it[mann] is still alive .

From sri bhagwatam , Jadbharat says.
    tvn ayam vyavahrah sadvih
    ksetrajna-sksyo bhavati sthla-sksmah
    tasmn mano lingam ado vadanti
    gungunatvasya parvarasya
    The mind makes the living entity within this material world wander through different species of life, and thus the living entity experiences mundane affairs in different forms as a human being, demigod, fat person, skinny person and so forth. Learned scholars say that bodily appearance, bondage and liberation are caused by the mind.
    When the living entity's mind becomes absorbed in the sense gratification of the material world, it brings about his conditioned life and suffering within the material situation. However, when the mind becomes unattached to material enjoyment, it becomes the cause of liberation. When the flame in a lamp burns the wick improperly, the lamp is blackened, but when the lamp is filled with ghee and is burning properly, there is bright illumination. Similarly, when the mind is absorbed in material sense gratification, it causes suffering, and when detached from material sense gratification, it brings about the original brightness of parmatma.

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    The first six verses of the 34th adhyAya--chapter, of the Shukla Yajur Veda, constitute this subhymn. All these six verses end with the refrain

Shiva is defined in the sixth verse as THAT which abides in the heart and carefully guides all persons. By becoming conscious of his/its divine will, we can intuitively perform actions effectively in the outer world.
    This is interesting, I havent seen this sukta before. I wonder about the translation and especially the word "astu".
    tan [that] me [mine] manah [mind] Shiva [auspicious] sankalpam [will] astu [may it be]
    Couldnt it equally be translated as "May my mind do the Auspicious Will" instead of "dwell on"? and a direct referens to conscience [Shiva-Sankalpa] as inpelled by Ishvara [perhaps it can equally be called chit or prajna]?

(on a side note [and perhaps this needs a separate thread]: what references are there in the scriptures to what in the west is called "conscience"? I havent seen it talked about very much anywhere)
    There is a Guru in each of us. It is the Atma principle. It is the Eternal Witness functioning as Conscience in everyone. With this Conscience as guide, let all actions be done. (sss20-15)

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namast saidevo,

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post

Perfect! - skill in action ; yogastha kuru karmānī ( Bhāgavad gītā 2.48)

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

namaste punditam,

yajvan: a new name for śiva I have not seen before:
    smarāri = smarā+ri = smara-astru
    • smara¹ as a noun we have seen before, it means remembering; yet in the masculine gender it is another name for kāma-deva, and the epithet for passions.
    • śatru - is defined as over-thrower; it is from śat that is rooted in śad meaning 'superior , prevail , triumph'.
    Hence smara-śatru is He that overthrows , is superior and prevails over passions.
    saidevo

yajvan: Perfect! - skill in action ; yogastha kuru karmānī ( Bhāgavad gītā 2.48)
    Taken together the above would describe Duryodhana's as a rightfull hero of his preformance of duty?

Does anyone agree/differ with this?

Duryodhana's skills were not in vain, correct?

namaste MSDji.

Interesting, such lateral thinking. Duryodhana went straight to the heavens unlike the Pancha PANDavas who wavered in their svadharma of a kShatriya. Thus, although he is the villain of the MahAbhArata, ShrI KRShNa duly recognized his adherence to svadharma and granted him svarga-patavi--seat in the heaven.

All said and done, the whole itihAsa of MahAbhArata was only Shiva's lILA, KRShNa/ViShNu mAyA, Shakti tANDava to give the people of this Kali Yuga a series of lessons in Sanatana Dharma.

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information