Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why should I work?

Hybrid View

Why should I work?

Namaste all,
    I'm a B.Tech (Mechanical Engineering) student. And I've been in depression for quite some time now. I started reading Bhagavad Gita one year back. But I'm still confused. I have been a good science student but now I don't feel like studying anything because men are doing nothing else than exploiting our continuously diminishing energy resources and is using it for something which doesn't lead to us a higher truth. They use it for creating new weapons, exploring outer space which cannot reduce the suffering of birth, disease, old age and death as mentioned in our holy Gita. Arjuna was encouraged to fight against adharma. But what about us who are encouraged to build more and more material things and do nothing for establishing dharma. I've thought a lot about it myself that whatever the result is, my duty is to do my job but that doesn't create any spark inside me to stand up and start studying. Studies are becoming a burden day by day.
    Please help me with some answers that could kindle a spark within me like arjuna to get back to the enthusiastic life which I once had at the beginning.
    Thank you.

Re: Why should I work?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

What you have above all is choice. You get to choose. Perhaps a shift in attention to bio-medical where things are made to improve another's life ( bionic arms, legs, eyes, synthetic skin).

Because you are human, God has given you power to think and decide what is good and bad. Therefore, you can do the best possible kind of action. You should never consider yourself weak or a fallen creature.
    Whatever may have happened up till now may be because you didn’t know, but now be careful... after getting a human body, if you don’t reach God, then you have sold a diamond at the price of spinach.
    Svāmī brahmānanda sarasvatī was Śaṅkarācārya of Jyotirmath from 1941-1953.

praṇām

यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Pranam

My advise to you would be to stay focus, finish your education, it is very important in this rat race. you may choose what your conscious tell you.
    Gita says Gahana karmana gati, you can not remain inactive, do your duty that is what Gita teaches us.

It is good you are worried about the state of the world

Jai Shree Krishan
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

What you have above all is choice. You get to choose. Perhaps a shift in attention to bio-medical where things are made to improve another's life ( bionic arms, legs, eyes, synthetic skin).
    I could not agree with this more. Those are wonderful suggestions. There is little better or more satisfying, in my view, than doing something to better others' lives, be those lives human or animal.

If I could do it all over again I might become a police officer ("To Protect and Serve); or a veterinarian; or some other profession like those.

I almost envy the o.p. for the choices he has ahead of him. If I only knew then what I know now!
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namasté cybernetics

Pleased to meet you, and I'm sorry to hear of your unease.

Why did you chose your particular field? Has this been a dream for you from a young age; maybe it was an intellectual decision? Or your parents unfulfilled dreams?

There is a right time for everything, and generally speaking things happen as they should, in order for us to learn. The order being the key word here. If we try to do things in the wrong order we may feel friction.

Tell us a little more about your predicament, not the worlds predicament; your own. We can move on to the worlds predicament once we know more of where you are now. Above all don't worry, perfectly normal to be feeling this way, to my mind it is a good sign; a sign that you have compassion and a heart.

praNAma

mana

Thank You Sir for your invaluable and motivational reply.
    My predicament is that I'm overwhelmed by the fact that this material world is just the reflection of real (spiritual) world and the knowledge we are given is just about physical world which is not true knowledge and these are not my words, it's written in Bhagavad Gita. But I seem to have found out my way as you would see if you read other posts of mine or you must have already read them b'coz my posts are not in order..

Quote Originally Posted by cybernetics View Post
    Namaste all,
    I'm a B.Tech (Mechanical Engineering) student. And I've been in depression for quite some time now. I started reading Bhagavad Gita one year back. But I'm still confused. I have been a good science student but now I don't feel like studying anything because men are doing nothing else than exploiting our continuously diminishing energy resources and is using it for something which doesn't lead to us a higher truth. They use it for creating new weapons, exploring outer space which cannot reduce the suffering of birth, disease, old age and death as mentioned in our holy Gita. Arjuna was encouraged to fight against adharma. But what about us who are encouraged to build more and more material things and do nothing for establishing dharma. I've thought a lot about it myself that whatever the result is, my duty is to do my job but that doesn't create any spark inside me to stand up and start studying. Studies are becoming a burden day by day.
    Please help me with some answers that could kindle a spark within me like arjuna to get back to the enthusiastic life which I once had at the beginning.
    Thank you.
    Vannakkam cybernetics: Others have given wonderful answers. I'll try to add a bit ... Your profession is by no means the only one that has the dilemma of how to use it within dharma. Criminal law, for example, in many countries, means defending someone to the best of your ability, EVEN if you know the person is guilty. So don't feel alone.

I see two things here. One is that the technology doesn't have to be used either way. in the origin, gunpowder was only to create beautiful fireworks. So the inventor couldn't be held responsible for its later adharmic himsa use. You shouldn't feel responsible for someone else's decision. The second is just supporting what Yajvan had already said, except to say that there are loads of other dharmic uses within mechanical engineering, not just in biomedicine. What about a better water pump for poverty stricken areas. A better water filter? Uses in renewable energy like smaller more effficient solar panelling, or better wind or tidal turbines turbines. There are many areas that could use some improvement. Smart people like yourself are needed to invent and better stuff. Many of us don't have such unique gifts. best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks to all of you. I can't tell you how pleased I am after reading these wonderful answers and I think that I have come to the right place.
    But actually I thought myself about it a lot the very same night I posted the question. And I got relieved to much extent.
    I think, where we are headed is not in our hands it's just the result of our past deeds. If God has made us to suffer for all the years to come (as we all know this is Kali Yuga) then we should accept that as prasad and think it as an opportunity to purify ourselves.
    But the principles of Bhagavad Gita are eternal. So there is still no other way than to work under Krishna Consciousness. What we can do is earn money from this material world and without worrying much about ourselves utilize it for spreading Krishna Consciousness. But spreading Krishna Consciousness is misunderstood by most of us. They do charity but charity, as it is written in Bhagavad Gita, is a rather a punya karma which does not free us from this material cycle of life and death.

Thank You Sir

Namasté cybernetics

Just reading through your posts, have you read any Douglas Adams?

You might know of Marvin?

I highly recommend the Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy to you. I think that you need a laugh!

praNAma

mana

Thread Information