Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name of our Country

Name of our Country

Namaste,

Presently, legal name of our country is India. So when this name was changed from Bharat to India and who did it. We have already changed back name of our many metro cities - like Mumbai - Chennai, is there any movement to change name of our country back to original ?

Thanks all for your comments.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Re: Name of our Country

Pranam

As to when it was changed, your guess is as good as mine, India was coined by the Brits, I would love to change it back to Bharat, it's not going to be any time soon not with this Government ever. Let us hope Ramdev baba can bring that change.
    Bharat mata ki jai

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

We can look at India's ancestral name as bharata-varṣa. It is king bharata's realm. This is due to this word varṣa ( or varṣam) defined as a division of the earth as separated off by certain mountain ranges. The decendents of the king are then bhārata, from bharata or the bharata-s .

Now what is of interest to me is bhārata is another name for agni. It comes from bhṛ - to carry , to bring, offer. It is agni that ~carries~ the offerings to the devatā. Agni is the very 1st word we find in the ṛg ( rig) ved. Hence bhārata is connected to agni, to the devatā's and to king bharata.

Sometimes we see the ~offical name~ of India as bhārata gaṇarājya.
    We know what bhārata means from above. Now we add in gaṇarājya and can look at it this way : gaṇa + rājya.

• gaṇa is tribe, clan, grouping
    • rājya is empire, kingship , sovereignty , realm
    Bhārata gaṇarājya can be viewed as the kingdom & decendents of king bharata -or- as the realm of agni. I quite like the realm of agni myself.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam

As to when it was changed, your guess is as good as mine, India was coined by the Brits, I would love to change it back to Bharat, it's not going to be any time soon not with this Government ever. Let us hope Ramdev baba can bring that change.
    Bharat mata ki jai

Jai Shree Krishna
    Very true GP-ji.

It is silly that Indians waited 50+ years before changing the names of certain cities back to the original ones and left out India. Why did they wait half a century? Did they think the British might come back (as Russell Peters said)?

Pranam TTA welcome back

Quote Originally Posted by TatTvamAsi View Post
    Very true GP-ji.

It is silly that Indians waited 50+ years before changing the names of certain cities back to the original ones and left out India. Why did they wait half a century? Did they think the British might come back (as Russell Peters said)?
    I think we have lost pride in our past, secularism, congress none off them has any Love for Bharat, we are still under the grip of the west, 50 years is very young compare to 1000 years of subjugation

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

namaste everyone.

India DOES have the name BhArat, officially.

The first Article of the Constitution of India states that "India, that is Bharat, shall be a union of states." Thus, India and Bharat are equally official short names for the Republic of India, Indians commonly refer to their country as Bharat, India depending on the context and language of conversation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_India

Christopher Columbus set out to discover India but ended up discovering America. The aborginals of America are known as Indians. Vasco da Gama is generally credited as among the first Europeans to set foot in India during the end of 15th century CE. Since the American aboriginals were named Indians by the Europeans who reached that continent earlier, the British named India as East India when they set foot here and formed a company called East India Company.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Pranam Saidevo and all

Thanks for the info, so Bharat is officially the name off the country in that case its about time India is dropped, i was wrongly under the impression that Brits coined the word, but it turns out Greeks had that name or near enough on their record from about 5bc.

if my memory serves me right and it stretch a long time,
    Vasco da Gama is generally credited as among the first Europeans to reach India via sea route.

long before that Marco polo reached Bharat via china on foot/sea.

Jai Shree Krishna

Pranam Saidevo and all

Thanks for the info, so Bharat is officially the name off the country in that case its about time India is dropped, i was wrongly under the impression that Brits coined the word, but it turns out Greeks had that name or near enough on their record from about 5bc.

Yes, indeed the Greeks took the name from the Indus River, via translations from the original Sindhu.

The ancient Greeks referred to the Indians as Indoi (Ινδοί), the people of the Indus.[16] The Constitution of India and usage in many Indian languages also recognises Bharat as an official name of equal status.[17]

The west has used it ever since. It may be extremely difficult to get the other 5 billion people on the planet to stop using the name India, but it's not impossible. Burma is now known as Myanmar. Of course, Myanmar as a country is tiny and pretty insignificant (except when it misbehaves). And West Pakistan and East Pakistan are now known as Pakistan and Bangladesh, respectively. Though I'd bet that when people hear Mumbai and Kolkata, they think two new cities were built in "India".

Btw, "Bombay" comes from Portuguese "bom baia", "good harbor".
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

First, we have to make sure what we are talking about.

India != Bharat

India and Bharat are two different thing. India is just a state in Hindu Rashtra.

Hindu Rashtra= Akhand Bharat= Tibet to Mauritius and Afghanistan to Philippians.

Name of that is still= Bharat

Name of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh combined= Hindustan.

Name of one of the largest sate in Bharat which is ruled by Hindus- India. Though actually it is ruled by non-Hindu voters. Hindu votes don't care about anything, just vote one person, so non-Hindu voters, though in minority make decisions.

There are many cities who's names are still to be vedify. eg- Amhedabad.
    And still many mosques/so called muslim building/etc. to be made temple back.

Current system(democratic)/government(Laut lo Bharat Party aka Congress Party) can never do it.

if my memory serves me right and it stretch a long time,
    Vasco da Gama is generally credited as among the first Europeans to reach India via sea route.

long before that Marco polo reached Bharat via china on foot/sea.

Jai Shree Krishna
    There was also trade between Rome and South.

Story of Vasco De Gama and Colombus is evil. They divided the globe in 2 parts. Colombus went to search India and find America. And Vasco De Gama found India.
    Europeans used term India much before British conquered India as native Americans are still called Indians.

After the Christanization of Europe, Europeans thought that Earth is flat and they would fall in Hell if they cross a limit in ocean. So Vasco De Gama re-discovered the sea route between Europe and India. Marco Polo came through Land route(not sea, as he was living in church dominated eruope).

- Hope this help.

Namaste,

The first Article of the Constitution of India states that "India, that is Bharat, shall be a union of states." Thus, India and Bharat are equally official short names for the Republic of India, Indians commonly refer to their country as Bharat, India depending on the context and language of conversation.
    Though it is official but we are known in the world by India and not by Bharat. If I send mail - post from US to any address in India, then guess I need to write name of country India and if I write Bharat then it may not go out of US but came back to my address for error of country. We people in this forum think that name of our country is India but many Hindus themselves do not know name of their country.

Hindu Rashtra= Akhand Bharat= Tibet to Mauritius and Afghanistan to Philippians.
    This was there when Ashok was King of Bharat but may be not any more.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Thread Information