Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video

Video

Vannakkam all: If you're not a vegetarian yet, watch this and you will be. Warning.. it's pretty bad.
    http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Video

Its said that a nation is judged on how they treat their animals...

All should of course watch this as it actually happens.

My extented view:
    Today many unjust things happen in the name of market economy. Its the responsibility of education system and politicians to fight it. Market economy (profit & greed) should not be the sole object, at best its a tool, but must be controlled by higher ideals. Today it runs the world (much like the horses control the chariot).
    “There is a Guru in each of us. It is the Atma principle. It is the Eternal Witness functioning as Conscience in everyone. With this Conscience as guide, let all actions be done.” (sss20-15)

All should of course watch this as it actually happens.

I agree. Ignorance is bliss. If people are going to eat meat, they should know where it is coming from and how.

I am of the mind that eating animals is not ok, no matter what kind of life they have beforehand. There is another school of thought that it is ok as long as they have a good life and a quick, humane death. To that, I would like to say that over 99% of the meat sold in America is from factory farms, where there is no such thing as a good life or a humane death.
    "I'm like a pigeon that's spreading its wings,
    to fly away to better things.."
    ~S. Hoon

I agree. Ignorance is bliss. If people are going to eat meat, they should know where it is coming from and how.
    I agree. I think that schoolchildren should be told exactly where meat comes from (along with videos) and told that there's another option - vegetarianism. It could be included in a module about food - first they learn about vegetables and maybe grow some in the classroom, and then they learn about where meat comes from. Many kids don't know where meat comes from - all they know is that their parents serve them a bit of food that tastes good.

To that, I would like to say that over 99% of the meat sold in America is from factory farms, where there is no such thing as a good life or a humane death.
    Factory farming, while still a problem, is not as widespread in New Zealand. The Green Party (of which I am a member) is trying to get sow crates banned. If you drive through the countryside here, you will see a lot of paddocks with cows and sheep wandering around freely. I was talking with my mother today and she was saying that veal has never really been popular here, which I was glad of.

Last edited by kiya kabooter; 05 September 2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: just feeling nervous about too much information.
    ~S. Hoon

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté ekanta (ekānta - devotion to one Being)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekanta View Post
    My extented view:
    Today many unjust things happen in the name of market economy. Its the responsibility of education system and politicians to fight it. Market economy (profit & greed) should not be the sole object, at best its a tool, but must be controlled by higher ideals. Today it runs the world (much like the horses control the chariot).
    I admire your view. We as world citizens have been anointed as consumers. What does the consumer want and need vs. what does the citizen need. There is a big difference in this mind set , no?

If our education system is based upon passing tests (only) and preparing one for work, the work to be a supplier or vendor, it perpetuates the consumer mentality.
    And our politicians, individually you will find good and honest ones, yet collectively the group mind-set takes hold. They are driven by being re-elected. This is top-of-mind for them. For them to get re-elected they need funding , market drivers, and again 'consumers' that can fund them.

It is my humble belief that only a new seed will bring a new crop. It is up to the people of the world. But to do what ? To first change themselves. But to what? To infuse more sattva into themselves that will spill into society. The infusion of sattva comes from the expansion of Being in one's self. Like pushing out the ignorance, the tamas, and bringing in more light. We cannot deal with all the problems this world offers on the level of the problem. We need Universal Help - this is the infusion of sattva. We start with ourselves, our family, and it spills into the community, the schools. This can be a very robust and sustainable plan as I see it.

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Vannakkam:

What? You don't go to Maconalds? (Tim Horton's in Canada) WalMart neither? You don't own a suit? Not even a tie? What's wrong with you?

As consumers, the vast majority of people, especially in the west, are sheep. From a more inner perspective, it is easier to separate needs from wants. What the neighbour's think is one of those concepts that slowly dissipates as we gain inner strength. So being a 'real' Hindu should help, and if we look around, we see it everywhere. Each time an individual puts another brick on the temple towards the Self, so does his capitalist tendency get reduced.

Aum Namasivaya

Last edited by kiya kabooter; 05 September 2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: just feeling nervous about too much information
    ~S. Hoon

Vannakkam Kiya: I confess to being in there once in a while as well. But its rare. They just have stuff sometimes that others don't. An example is strong hemp string that I use for making garlands. Can't find it anywhere else. But what I'm referring to by sheep is the 'stupid' consumer who goes because everyone else does. In my city the grocery section of Walmart is more expensive than a nearby store. I've also noticed sometimes the quality is way down and a pair of jeans costing twice as much somewhere else might last 3 times as long. So it's tough. My 5 kids are 3 to 2 for the side of being a non-consumer. But that too can go to an extreme, when you have to use your will power to spend, not save. Mental remnants of the Great Depression.

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Regarding consumers and citizens

We all consume - some more then others. Yet if one is possessed by this, then we know the balance of life and values become disturbed. My issue is not so much one's material possessions . For many seekers the notion of having material things has been branded as 'bad'... I think otherwise and will be happy to explain if asked.

Yet my point is making decisions by leadership, politicians, government, communities, etc. that are consumer-centric vs. being citizen-centric. Decisions of will this sell more or less, tax more or less, dirive the customer to a product or service more or less, cannot be the final deciding factor e.g. the litmus paper test. In a balanced way is seems to make policy decisions base upon:
    • Liberties and justice
    • Social impact - Social ethics ~dharma~
    • Economic and financial impact
    • Right-and-wrong
    • Human (wholesome) values - values that promote an ideal, that improve the human condition in a positive manner
    Yet 'gravity' tends to pull most decisions to the financial concerns - the impact to the consumer , not the citizen ( which are the same).

Why so? it is my assessment that in the age of kali more sattva is overshadowed by tamas. There is less and less clear thinking . There may be more 'clever' thinking as I have seen much, yet holistic thinking is less and less. That is why in more enlightened ages, the ministers, kings, leaders, had seers and pundits as advisers. Those that spend time with the whole ( Supreme) and have more of fullness ( bhuman) as a view of the world.

This is why we cannot wait for the leaders to come around to this thinking. It must be with the citizen. For he/she can change the dynamic of society by changing their own chemistry of consciousness. The infusion of Being, increases sattva. It does not just stay within us , it spills over into thoughts, deeds and actions. It is predicated on a simple vedic truth - sarvaṁ sarvātmakam - everything is related to everything else.

That means we can influence the quality of life as a whole. By our being, by just living. We do not have to have a protest, or march, or riot. All we need to do is infuse sattva into ourselves daily, and in numbers , then we influence the world. Do we need the majority of society to do this? No. But a sizable group would be appreciated .

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information