Thread: Narayana in Vajrayana Buddhism

Hybrid View

Narayana in Vajrayana Buddhism

Namaste all, this is Narayana in Vajrayana Buddhism

Name is Narayana, meaning :
    Adamantine power.
    Vajra bhala
    and the others i will translate asap , i have post attacment 2 pic of Buddhism Narayana.

according to chapter 6 of Prajnaratnagosha (Huilinyi ~ 慧琳音义),Narayana (Chinesse : Naluoyantian ~ 那罗延天) is the name of Deva in kamadhatu, He also named Vishnu, (chinesse : Piniutian ~ 毗纽天), one who want great power, if he/she can pray with devotion and give offering for this Deva , they will get Great Power.

In chapter 41 said :

This Deva have many great power,body is green golden in colour, eight arms, and ride Garuda, His hand hold star whell (cakra), gada (stick ?)and many Dharmayudam (Dharma weapons), He subjugating the asuras.

According to Mahavairocana Sutra (Darijing ~ 大日经疏卷十) chapter 10 :
    Narayana have other name is Vishnu, He is the manifestation of Buddha, moving in the sky ridding the Garuda.

In ancient India sceriptures, this Deva is mother of Brahma (Brahma born from Him) .

According to Mahesvara teaching, Narayana is one part of Mahamahesvara, Narayana is have great power.

In Buddhism Tantrayana, this Deva is in West Vajrakula in Garbhadhatumandala (Taizangjiemantuoluo ~ 胎藏界曼荼罗) , His form is dark blue in colour, ridding Garuda, and right leg is down. Left hand palm is in waist ; right palm forefinger is holding a chakra. He have three face, front is Bodhisattva face, right face is White Elephant head, left face is black pig (Syamavaraha) .

This is the name of a part of Mahayana Tripitakas who have Narayana :

[杂宝藏经卷一、胜思惟梵天所问
    经卷五、陀罗尼集经卷十一、理趣释卷下、外道小乘涅槃论、大毗婆沙论卷三十、瑜伽师地论卷三十七、顺正理论卷七十五、玄应音义卷二十四、大日经疏演奥钞卷 十五](参阅毗纽天’3853
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shian; 07 August 2009 at 09:42 PM.

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Re: Narayana in Vajrayana Buddhism

Actually, chinese (mahayana) buddhism is different from tibetan buddhism... these images and art styles are of china, not tibet.

The two countries actually have vary different cultures, and language, tibetan being in the sino-tibetan (includes mongolian) language, and chinese of course being seperate...

namaste

Vajrayana is not only tibetan though. there is japanese vajrayana hence Shingon and some elements of tendai

Yes spiritual seeker is right, Vajrayana is not mean Tibetan Buddhism only.

So many Tibetan Tantra text is originally from Tibet.

But all scripture of East Vajrayana (like shingon, Tiantai etc) is originally from India ! like Vairocana Sutra , Susiddhikara Sutra etc

and Vajrayana sutras is a part of Mahayana Tripitaka.

Anda Narayana is one of 20 Maha Devas in Buddhism

Tibetan also worship Shiva Mahadeva and then Ganesh, but i not talk about it now, because i will talk about Narayana here.

The important things of Mahadevas in Mahayana Buddhism is,

Mahadevas like Shiva (Buddhism called Mahesvara / Isna) and Narayana, Vajrayana Tripitaka said : they is manifestation of ancient Buddha.

And Mahayana Tripitaka is not from china, this scripture is from India
    and in ancient so many chinesse go to India to learn and translate Sutras , astrology , etc...., so now many Vajrayana Sutras scripture is in chinesse.

Japanesse Shingon is from China, Kobo Daishi is go to china to learn and get the lineage empowerment.

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |

Namaste,

ok i already translate a part of Sutra

so many Sutras talk about Narayana and Mahesvara, but my english is not good.

This is only for knowledge

i not approve any debate here, if you want to debating please open new thread.

For me, are Buddha is Narayana ? or Narayana is Buddha ? or Buddha is not Narayana , or Narayana is not Buddha.
    this such things is not important for me.
    Last edited by shian; 07 August 2009 at 09:56 PM.

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |

SS, Shian,

Namaste.

I am just saying, in my practice of tibetan tantra, i have never run into the i being mentioned here. Indra/Vajrapani, yes. Amrita-kundalini, yes. Mahakala, yup. But not many others.

So, this is off of my experience really... I have never run into "naryayana", but of course i never really practiced sutra anyways.

Thread Information