Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improper?

Improper?

Hari Om!

Am wondering as to the proper protocol for this situation. Is it O.K. to go straight to ones Ista at the mandir instead of paying respects/offering prayers to the other deities first? I always pray to Ganesha first, but given that Hanuman is all of the gods, I am wondering if it is acceptable to go to Him next.

Thank you for your kind consideration and enlightenment on this subject.

Om

Re: Improper?

Namaste Sir,

What I am going to say is something I have read a long time ago and thus from memory, unfortunately I do not have the source in front of me.

It is always customary to worship Sri Ganapathi first when in a temple. Most temples would have Sri Ganapathi shrine located first to enable this to happen naturally, if not, you might want to not stop by other shrines and proceed straight to Ganapathi first, do namaskara to him and then proceed clockwise to other devatas, including ishta if different.

Likewise, there are rules for worshiping other devatas too. For instance, always mother Mahalakshmi should be worshiped first before worshiping Sri Vishnu. Garuda should be worshiped before either Lakshmi or Vishnu. I would presume that the rule would be similar in case of mother Parvathi and Lord Shiva.

Also there are rules for going around the shrines a specific number of times depending on whether you are Shaiva or Vaishnava.

If you search on the net, you may come across detailed articles that inform about such practices, if I find it, I will post it.

I hope that my little knowledge helps you.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vannakkam C. Smith: I don't think anyone would care that much how you did it. Generally speaking, people do, or try to do what the local custom is. In some of the large conglomerate style temples, there is no true circumambulation type path. There is nothing stopping anyone from staying longet at any one shrine.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Smith ji,

As this image of a Ganapati visarjan procession from Mumbai amply shows, Hanuman ji carries Sri Ganesha too on his back.

One would be indeed hard pressed to link Ganesha to Hanuman, because it will amount to crossing sampradaya limits. But, from Hanuman bhaktas' point of view, this makes all sense.

Now, the deepest secret of Astika:
    Hanuman, Murugan and AsviniKumar -- all are ("male"-) manifestations of Lord KumAra, the Devata who is the Center of Dharmic Universe. Those who are not connected to this deity -- are not Hindus in a functional and also mystical sense. (IMHO)

And indeed kumAra is to be worshipped before All, whenever possible.
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Dear friend.
    Ishtadevatha is an extension of our belief . There are no comparisons , egos , enemities among the Gods or deities So the question of following any order does not arisei in a true sense.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Kalicharan Tuvij View Post
    Those who are not connected to this deity -- are not Hindus in a functional and also mystical sense. (IMHO)
    Not sure how could such a statement be classified as a 'Humble Opinion'? And what exactly does it mean? Are you deciding who is Hindu and who is not based on YOUR personal opinion about something? I hope it is just a poor choice of words as it happens many times in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by saswathy View Post
    Dear friend.
    Ishtadevatha is an extension of our belief . There are no comparisons , egos , enemities among the Gods or deities So the question of following any order does not arisei in a true sense.
    An excellent post!
    "There are no comparisons, egos or enemities among the Gods". So, they don't care in what order you pay your respects to them.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 16 April 2015 at 08:30 PM.

Sia Ram
    Believer ji.
    Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Not sure how could such a statement be classified as a 'Humble Opinion'? And who are you to exclude the Hindus who differ from your personal opinion from Hinduism? I hope it is just a poor choice of words as happens many times in the forum.

Pranam.
    I accept your criticism, fully, however this is NOT poor choice of words. My stand has been very consistent here on HDF (see this post on "defining Hindu" thread) (perhaps you have upgraded my status from "troll", since then. Hehe. That's progress.)

The nAma KumAra is the Center of Dharmic universe. Whole Astikaism is encoded in this single word. (I take this forum very seriously, because IMHO Hinduism is best understood - both for learning and sharing POV - in a discourse setting, rather than through monologues or books or articles).

Needles to say, by Astika I don't mean:
    nAstika-s (hedonists, Buddhists, Jains, etc), cultural Hindus, fodder Hindus (those who crossed oceans for greener grass, and in turn become fodder in grand Abrahamistic setup), hardcore monotheists, super Hindus (the universalists: "sabkA mAlik eik hai") and ignorant Hindus ("Pa n Ma never taught me.."), if I didn't miss any.

Finally, may be, better than "who are you to say.." it should be: "what the ## do you mean by..", but I am nobody to judge, sincerely speaking.
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

namaste,

Those who are not connected to this deity -- are not Hindus in a functional and also mystical sense. (IMHO)
    Since I haven't even heard of this 'deity' it is settled - I am not a Hindu.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaste,
    Since I haven't even heard of this 'deity' it is settled - I am not a Hindu.

Some obvious questions that perplex one, Satay ji!

Are Hindus (born, raised so, even 'converted' from other religions etc., alone the claimants of God-sense and moksha, nirvana, swarg and similar states (if such states are TRUE)?

Can one demonstrate that Hindus (practising!) were born in previous incarnations as Hindu and were they to *behave* shall continue to be born on that path??

Or are we just taking certain dogmas too literally??? Due to our formative conditioning and zeal to follow some path based on whatever...!

No disrespect intended to any dogmas, of course. They do serve a purpose and like an anchor can stabilise a resting vessel in waters. Of course the anchor in the water precludes the vessel from continuing its journey?

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

Namaste Smith ji,

As this image of a Ganapati visarjan procession from Mumbai amply shows, Hanuman ji carries Sri Ganesha too on his back.
    Namaste KC Ji,

That image is improper.I feel that this is so wrong,nowhere in the scriptures it has been said that Sri Ganesha sits on Sri Hanuman.It could be very offensive to Hanuman devotees and as well as Lord Hanuman himself.Have you not heard about the great attachment Hanuman has to Lord Rama,His form and name.Even in Vishnu temples,when Hanumanta Vahana Seva is conducted the Utsava Vigraha(Processional deity) even if it is Lord Vishnu's or Lord Krishna's is decorated to look like Lord Rama.This is the tradition being followed.Somebody depicted Ganesha and Hanuman in an anti-scriptural manner and you seem to justify it.I ask you to show one reference from any scripture that says Ganesha rode on Hanuman.

Now, the deepest secret of Astika:
    Hanuman, Murugan and AsviniKumar -- all are ("male"-) manifestations of Lord KumAra, the Devata who is the Center of Dharmic Universe. Those who are not connected to this deity -- are not Hindus in a functional and also mystical sense. (IMHO)

And indeed kumAra is to be worshipped before All, whenever possible.
    This theory would not be accepted by any Hindu.I don't know much about the Kaumaras,maybe you are a member of the Kumara cult and this is your belief.Okay,your humble beliefs are yours only!

I do not know any tradition in which Sri Kumara is worshipped first,both scripture and tradition dictate that Sri Ganesha is to worshiped first.I personally know that Ganapatyas,Shaivas,Shaktas,Kaumaras,Smartas and most Vaishnavas worship Sri Ganesha first.

Please Sir,provide any references from the scriptures that says that everybody should worship Sri Kumara first and those who are not connected to this Deva are not Hindus at all.If you can't prove so,then stop trolling the forums with your weird theories.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Thread Information