Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why do you believe 'Sanathana Dharma' is the 'way to go' for real spirituality?

Re: Why do you believe 'Sanathana Dharma' is the 'way to go' for real spirituality?

Namaste Ji,

Isn't it interesting the different perceptions on a single question, depending on who reads/hears it?

My own perception was that Viraja Ji was asking why those who were not born into a Hindu family in this birth think that Sanatana Dharma is such a strong and wise system. There is some comparison needed here to explain accurately the difference between some concepts, but certainly not meant in a judgmental way, as I mentioned in my first post.

That said, I don't believe I understood at all what you mentioned just above, Viraja Ji, and I'm still not certain I understand. I had thought you were running across people of other faiths challenging you and SD to a point of frustration, but this appears to not be the case. I look forward to your other thread clarifying.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Re: Why do you believe 'Sanathana Dharma' is the 'way to go' for real spirituality?

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Dilute them not with unnecessary concessions and universalistic givings.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    All 16 posts here have brought many good points to the table, and the oneness of the dharma asserts that we must see the paramAtmA in all, and that we must appreciate the good in other faiths as well, even if we consider them a part of the whole, of the Eternal Mother VRuksha (tree), all including the flavors of Abrahamic faiths.
    Many a pitched battles have been fought in this forum to refute that. But we Hindus equate humility to serving as doormats to everyone. This lack of self pride leads to bringing down SD to the level of mediocrity and placating everyone. It is amazing how the universalists reach this conclusion but I am not going to start another discussion about equating the weeds growing around a tree to the majestic tree itself.

Pranam.

Dear Sudasji and Believerji

Tell me, what part of my sentence points to 'universalism' and what makes you jump to such a conclusion? What makes you assume I am EQUATING all faiths to Hindu Dharma?

I said we must see the good in all faiths.

"See the good in "
    does not mean
    a) See the entire faith as all-good and perfect
    b) Equate the faiths with Hindu Dharma as "same"

It means among various things, there are some good qualities to everything. We all agree that we generally see the good in people. People around us are generally good to each other on a secular level -- such as classmates, colleagues, neighbours etc. Likewise, we can see the good (guNa) in other faiths. What is wrong with that? Can there be no guNa in other faiths at all? All full of durguNa?
    And, regarding the "weeds growing around the Mother Tree" , surely people from other faiths have caused distress in the past with tricks and conversions, but if that had not been the case and if for a moment we sort that [politically or fundamentally motivated] behavior out (not mix behavior with the spiritual part), the faiths themselves [intrinsically] could be offsprings of the SanAtana Vruksha rather than weeds. The Mother always has been giving shade.

Let us not mix the proseletyzing behaviors, political agendas, and fanaticism or fundamentalism of the Abrahamic faiths with the core that at least makes an attempt to bring out the good and divine in people. These are the inner whorls and outer whorls of each religion. The outer whorls may stray.

Last edited by smaranam; 10 April 2015 at 09:06 PM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Now that I think of that word 'universalism' -- it came from universe. The funny thing is Vaidic Dharma, Hindu Dharma revolves around this --

avibhaktam cha bhUteshu vibhaktam eve cha sthitam... (BG 13.16 - That indivisible Bramhan' appears as if divided among beings). This is why universalism surfaces off and on.

eko vishNur mahat bhUtam sarva bhUtAnyanekasha
    trIlokyanvyapya bhUtatmA bhunkte vishwabhugavyayaha -
    Mahabharat Post VishNu SahasranAma (Bheeshma PitAmaha)(One Eternal untouched imperishable VishNu as mahat pervades all beings and the three worlds as the [param]AtmA that lights up sentience in beings and eats / experiences the world)
    bahunAM janmAmante dnyAnvAn mAm prapadyate
    vAsudeva sarvamiti sa mahAtmA sudurlabhah:
    (BG 7.19)
    After many many births the spiritually knowledgable who worships Me as the VAsudeva that is all this, is rare indeed.
    Last edited by smaranam; 10 April 2015 at 09:20 PM.

Namaste,

As I said before I am not going to enter into another discussion. Please read The 'Satanic Verses' by Rushdie and then decide if what you would call a faith is really a faith. Social behavioral codes do not make a religion or a faith. And to pick out something from a societal behavioral code and admire it at the same level as the SD is, well your choice. I am not going to waste any more time on this topic. Happy times and a happy blissful life to you.

Pranam.

PS: In the US we have a 'Stand your ground' law in some of the Southern states. It applies to a different situation, but in this case I will stand my ground with no regrets, no remorse and no apologies.
    Last edited by Believer; 11 April 2015 at 12:43 AM.

I was not considering downright tAmasic or dark faiths. Even Shri KRshNa mentions shraddhA can be sAttvic, rAjasic or tAmasic. I am not saying admire it at the same level. Just saying I see some good elements in other faiths also.
    Hare KRshNa

Dear Aanandinii ji,

It is not merely those of other faiths that ask us Hindus for what reason we consider Hinduism better than others... it is also some secular Hindus that do the same... to them, everything that can be defined objectively and scientifically only holds true... everything else, that cannot be objectively explained does not hold true. So that is why, I wanted to ask other fellow folks why they felt Hinduism was good, because I know the good and sattwic composition of HDF.

Dear Smaranam ji,

As Aanandinii ji already pointed out, I too agree with you that definitely there is some truth in other religions too.. I have argued in this very same forum in the past, with people, saying that other religions have truth in them too. It is just that I believe that Hinduism, with its tolerance, insight and 'ahimsa' motives, stands to be time-tested and still valid, showing the world of its greatness and that is why I wanted to know people's opinion on what they think makes Hinduism great... the drawbacks of other religions being highlighted was just a natural way to explain the greatness of Hinduism, and not meant to show other religions in a very poor light... I am very sorry if this has been brought out in such a way in this thread. It was not intentional.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste EM,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    "Does the university professor look down on the child in the kindergarten class?"

Does the veena master start all his lessons with, "Well, young folks, I'm better at this that you are."?
    This is just an observation and not any kind of criticism: With all due respect to your guru and to all other gurus, in both of these cases the students are aspiring to be what the master is by using the same techniques. However when it is a matter of different faiths, I am having a hard time using this analogy - something about climbing a mountain Vs. a mole hill and the methods used to accomplish the journey.

And then there is the branching out of discussion on respect for 'other faiths', every time there is a discussion of the merits of SD. In a Hindu forum, do we always need to bring out this tangential thing? In the endless interfaith dialogues in North America, others don't even consider SD a valid religion. They agree to tolerate us but NEVER to accept us as having a credible spiritual path. Do we really need to venture out and sing praises about the same people's thought process? I pose these questions just because I know that you are one of the few or may be the only adoptee in the forum who understands the different undercurrents and sub texts in Bharat as well over here between the followers of SD and 'others'. If comparison sounds a less than acceptable thing to do, why not just ignore other paths?

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 11 April 2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Clarification of the last sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Dear Smaranam ji,

As Aanandinii ji already pointed out, I too agree with you that definitely there is some truth in other religions too.. I have argued in this very same forum in the past, with people, saying that other religions have truth in them too. It is just that I believe that Hinduism, with its tolerance, insight and 'ahimsa' motives, stands to be time-tested and still valid, showing the world of its greatness and that is why I wanted to know people's opinion on what they think makes Hinduism great... the drawbacks of other religions being highlighted was just a natural way to explain the greatness of Hinduism, and not meant to show other religions in a very poor light... I am very sorry if this has been brought out in such a way in this thread. It was not intentional.
    Oh my goodness, Virajaji please don't apologize. Here is what happens -- I do not participate in hot-topic threads generally. When you started the thread, there was that word superior which perhaps just brushed across the mind which a word like "best" would not have. Knowing you, I thought it is a matter of language and usage more than anything.
    Then several people came along objecting to that same word "superior" and pointing out things in other faiths. Then that brought me here to post about 'sama-dRshTi' (equal vision) as a essential 'anga' (limb) of
    our most venerable and glorious Lotus-Like SanAtana Vaidic Hindu Dharma -- my old habit of making everyone comfortable - although I did mean it when saying I see good things in other faiths as well. Did not mean to divert or be tangential, but sometimes while discussing things, a friendly reminder about what shAstra upholds. What can I do if that ShyAmsundar makes us love everyone indiscriminately by waving His magic flute?

bahunAM janmAmante dnyAnvAn mAm prapadyate
    vAsudeva sarvamiti sa mahAtmA sudurlabhah:
    (BG 7.19)

Trust me, Smaranam ji, this word 'superior' has been pointed out 3rd time to me in this thread.

Definitely, a religion that makes us all think that using the word 'superior' itself is incorrect and that all of manhood is united by one single thread - that of humanity and that all of god's religions are bound to contain truth in them is a LOFTY religion, is it not?

So given the above, is it not fair to glorify such a loving religion with the most befitting word? - 'Superior'?! ;-) :-) :-)
    Last edited by Viraja; 11 April 2015 at 04:11 PM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thread Information