Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why do you believe 'Sanathana Dharma' is the 'way to go' for real spirituality?

Re: Why do you believe 'Sanathana Dharma' is the 'way to go' for real spirituality?

Namaste Smaranam Ji,
    Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    I agree. Language is the vehicle and my response was the same as yours. In rare cases however, cultural differences may affect how an expression is perceived.
    Also in saMskRt we have the word shreshTha which comes from shreyas. ShreshTha = Having more shreyas i.e. more effective. This word has been used thru' the scriptures to analyze and discriminate between things.
    Thank you. Then you understand that sanskrit words like Shreshtha cannot be mapped accurately to single English words in most cases, or when they can they are usually not words that are found in the common lexicon. More effective =/= better, if one is being accurate in language.

I feel that many times the inaccurate use of English words leads to more misunderstandings and debates that are probably unnecessary. The same would be true of me if I tried to start using the Hindi I have been studying, I would use words inaccurately and cause some misunderstanding. For instance:
    Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Well, glorifying the Dharma in the right way has a purpose which Virajaji was trying to acheive ---
    ...I agree that it can be done by choosing the right words, but glorifying is OK.

Glorifying =/= Admiring. We Admire dead things in a museum. We Glorify living and vital things of beauty and truth through direct action. My saying 'what good is admiration' didn't mean one shouldn't glorify. These are subtleties of language that seem to cause misunderstanding. It's troubling to me, particularly as it feels like I am often misunderstood because of it.
    ...the new generation of secular Hindus who may not realize its value as well as those close minded fundamentalists who look down upon it,and the dangerous Islamists who tried to wipe it out in the very nation that they adopted by force and is home to it, will all benefit by taking a good look at Hindu Dharma. Bharat Varsha needs that today.
    At the same time I do not feel the need to discredit everything in other dharmas. At least those who were born into Hindu dharma should realize its depth.
    I think I am beginning to see and understand some of the issues here, my thanks. They're complex and part of a cultural and historical upbringing I haven't been a part of in this life. However, I think any and all ways of showing the great value and wisdom of SD must be good things and helpful. I hope for all success and that if those of us who are adoptees can help at all, that we can. SD has survived so much over the eons. I feel strongly that it will continue to, as long as people like those here continue to support and glorify it.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Re: Why do you believe 'Sanathana Dharma' is the 'way to go' for real spirituality?

Namaste Viraja Ji,

Please feel free to PM me at any time. I would be very interested to read the thread you describe!

Don't do yourself discredit, your English is quite good! Much better than my Hindi, for certain. To be honest, we all have so much to learn about each other and communication.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Dear Virajaji
    Please forgive me if possible for causing distress to a wonderful devotee such as yourself.
    When I started posting on the thread, Ruta was there, and in post#27, in the eagerness to assure you that you have not done wrong, I said dumbest things which had satya but did not have the Ruta anymore. I assure you that post #27 was not me, it was an entity that takes my Ruta away from time to time for a reason I know. However, for the world it was me.
    That I completely understood where you were coming from should be clear from my attempt at explaining the situation to Anandiniji in posts # 36,37.

_/\_ praNAm

|| Shri KRshNArpaNamastu||
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Vannakkam: Upon further reading of this, and the always ensuing self-reflection, yes, the term 'superiour' does have a negative connotation ... for me. For starters, it was used by the Europeans in comparing their society and education system to that in the conquered cultures. It's used to compare Gods on those old and tired Saiva-Vaishnava wars, as to who is superior, Vishnu, or Siva. It's used to compare philosophical systems, it's used to compare philosophical or economic systems, and more. So yes, it is negative for me.

... but with sufficient reflections, and with Believerji's able assistance, I can say with commitment that the tree of SD standing in the middle of the grove, surrounded by weeds, is indeed the superior religion ... by far actually.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaskar Ji,

With the guidance of a kind soul who is wiser than I will likely be in many more lifetimes, I have learned a few things tonight. I have been blind and in that ignorance I have been unforgivably callous.
    Smaranam Ji, thank you for taking the time to try to explain, and more than once. At my worst I am most certainly stubborn, pedantic and ornery, and at these times it takes more than one as subtle and gentle as you are to break through. I have caused you great distress, I have no words for my sorrow at that. You as well, Viraja Ji, and any who may have read and been harmed by my words - which ironically I had thought to be carefully chosen.

Most certainly, what is harmful to one person may not be to another. I said before there is no comparison between Sanatana Dharma and others as any others today are like a struck match held against the brilliance of Sanatana Dharma's Sun. I understand and agree, yes, this does indeed make it Superior. Though only in the best of all possible definitions.

I can only beg the pardon of the learned community here. Hopefully a foolish child blinded by privilege isn't too uncommon a sight.
    My sincerest apologies.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Dear beloved members - Smaranam ji, EM ji, Aanandinii ji,

I was thinking about this topic the whole day yesterday and I also checked with my mother for her opinion. Based on my soul-searching, I have come to understand that the topic, while ok to be raised in a Hindu forum, nevertheless in general has potential to cause strifes among members because it touches on the very sensitive issue of 'religion'. Therefore I bear the full responsibility of having posted it, anyone left with a not so good or unpleasant feeling from this topic, I am sorely responsible for it. Besides, my poor English and my lack of knowledge on nice and thoughtful way of expressing things have added to the poor way in which the OP was written. I again apologize for it.

I am truly thankful for all the wonderful replies given by all members, and especially you folks. I will certainly cherish your replies and use them wisely when I know they might be useful.

I hope this settles all matters relevant to this thread. I hope to recover from my guilt now...

Yours truly,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Dear Anandiniji
    Where did you get the idea that you distressed me of all the people? I could very well understand both "paksha" (parties, groups). I did say so. Also, taken stand-alone, I like your posts and thoughts in general, and who am I to get distressed over anything? I am not the owner of a thread or post or idea. For that matter I am not the owner of myself either. I belong to KAnhA and have no business venturing out independently.

Good Morning dear Smaranam Ji,

I know you understood, we had similar thoughts on the matter, it just seemed that when I persisted in my misunderstanding, you saw your words in post 26 in a new light and that prompted your post 43 above, which seemed quite distressed. If I had any hand in that, I am very sorry.

Dear Viraja Ji,

You have absolutely no reason to feel guilty in this. This is a Hindu Forum, where else is better to talk of religion when we need to? It is important to be able to do that. If you doubt the quality of your posts and contributions to this forum, please look back into your thread history as see the wonderful, often long discussion your posts prompt. And if nothing else, know that if not for this thread I would still be blind and ignorant to something vitally important. I learned something great, thanks to you making this thread. Everything has reasons and good can come of things you might never expect.

For the record, your English is better than many Americans I know. Don't let my silly hang-up - which I really need to get over - cause you to lose confidence in yourself.

The issue here was not one of religion, it was one of Privilege. I've spoken of it before. We all agree on the greatness of SD. Privilege was informing my replies and I couldn't see past that to understand that a word that can be a trap of negativity to one person might be uplifting and positive to another. I actually do know better than how I behaved, but somehow got stuck in my own baggage anyway. It is a good and important lesson, I am very grateful for it, and I won't forget. Please don't feel guilty for it.

~Pranam
    ॐ नमः शिवाय
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Dear friends,s Sanathana dharma is not exactly a religion . It is a way of life .It encompasses all dharmas covering all areas of life in general.It's highest emphasis is on unlimited compassion and unconditional love.It ultimately preaches that there is no difference between I and you and both are one and the same.

Om

Namaste

This is an interesting topic. It made me pause and think. I feel, we should see the holistic evolvement of human beings from a pyramid with different layers in it. As we move up, the number of people become less and less.

The layers from the bottom are

1. Self discipline and day to day ethics
    2. Our interactions with society
    3. Our interactions with nature
    4. Connected self
    5. Self merged in Consciousness

As you may find most of the fights amongst the people of different faith is at first level and to some extent in second level.

In first level the fight is for who has better self discipline, who has better ethics, who lives life better, whose practices are superior, etc etc. Here we have to admit that there are good practices across the different religions. It helps that religion which is more flexible to adapt the best practices of others. It may be at the level of individuals or at the level of society (more resistance) however it is happening and will continue to happen. Some are slow to adapt and some are fast.

As one moves up then it comes to interactions with society with members from other faith also. This is where the divergences starts to show more. Some are more tolerant and some are less. The inclusivity index starts from this point and expands more and more as we go up the pyramid.

For the next three levels hardly anyone talks about in the other faiths except the ones out of this country.

Now the mental maturity of the seeker will decide where he or she will fit. If it is at the lowest level, he or she might find solace in any of the faiths rather some elements of other faiths might be more attractive and he or she might migrate. There is no definite patterns which can be established.

Like people may move out because of the rigid caste system or may be out of need for money to other religions. Or some might find the more solace in the openness or mysticism of Hinduism or the serene and non violent nature of Buddhism.

However as people move to level 2 then the Tolerance factor, the equality factor (non supremacist) i.e. loving people of all faith, caste, creed etc. The ability to adapt to various voices, needs, paths and demands makes the people more flexible and also moves him to higher level of mind condition.

The differences start here for few religions.

At the next layer of interaction with nature the differences are stark and hardly any other religion apart from the ones originating from India has any major say.

Once peoples mind are matured to this level, Buddhism / Jainism or Hinduism becomes the natural choice.

Moving beyond this point segregates the Hinduism from Buddhism / Jainism also in terms of depths of understanding and ability to practice and achieve.

At the peak there will be very few saints and we the mere mortals are not there anyway. So I do not want to deliberate on the highest level saints. However the fact that so many saints have been produced through practice of Hinduism (including Buddha and Tithankara) says a lot about the level and maturity of the knowledge of Hinduism.

So in conclusion, I should ask "who is seeking the change ?" It is based on his / her mental maturity in terms of spirituality that it can be any religion to Buddhism / Hinduism to Hinduism

Thanks
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Thread Information