Thread: Greetings friends....

Red Face Greetings friends....

namaste everyone...

My real name is Giulia i come from Italy,
    since i can remember as a child i ve ben atheist, my family of course catholic...Lately my mind has been drifting over Hinduism ( since i booked a trip to India with my half Indian boyfriend due ion may) those principles fascinates me the constant energy of the spirit that's not destroyed at death but carries on onto new living forms.....a god big enough to create the universe yet smaller than the smallest atom that resides in everything and anyone...everything makes more sense to me...since i ve started reading about it i understood there are different branches of Hinduism and people kinda choose the gods he wants to worship to get to god( if i am not mistaking, in case please correct me)Shakata Hinduism is what im most drown to...the worship of Mother Goddess and her divine forms Pravati Druga Lakshimi Kali..... but sure is a complicated religion i ve been advised to find a guru but Hinduism seem not to exist here no temples no anything....this is making my quest harder, almost impossible...i kindly ask for guidance...advises on scriptures...a helping hand from those of you who have a better grasp (surely everyone) on this beautiful religion...
    and may the gods bless you all

Re: Greetings friends....

Namaste,

Welcome to the forum.

About introductory scriptures/articles, here is a couple to get started with,
    1. The Bhagwad Gita - many online editions (translations) exist and you have to sample a few to figure out which one suits your thinking.
    2. 'What is Hinduism' from The Himalayan Academy - https://www.himalayanacademy.com/view/what-is-hinduism

As you have stated, it sure has many (related) paths to get to the supreme and you will get a hundred different answers from a hundred Hindus to a question .
    Going to India in May? Hope you can handle 40+ C temps. Best wishes.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 27 March 2015 at 07:05 PM.

Vannakkam Jasmine: I would recommend a visit to this place. http://www.ashramgita.com/en/ It and other Hindu centers were featured in Hinduism Toady a couple of years ago. Going to a temple is always beneficial. Welcome to these forums.

Aum Namasivaya

Welcome Giulia

Welcome Giulia ! I would advise you to go through threads on this forums which will give you a lot of information on various aspects of Hindu Dharma. This forum is subdivided into sub-forums which can help you to choose the topic you want to go through.

The essence of Hindu Dharma is almost the same in all paths of Hindu Dharma. A common Hindu is usually non-sectarian. He worships lord Vishnu (as Rama, Krishna etc.), Shiva, Ganesha, Mother Goddess with same reverence. I am an Advaitin / a non-dualist - Advaita VedAnta taught by Aadi Shankaraachaarya. Today is Ramnavami and also the last day of NavarAtri when Mother Goddess is worshipped as "SiddhidAtri" (meaning, who grants all Siddhis (boons) that the devotee wants). I was performing NavrAtri Puja for al the nine days while I was all along on fruit+milk diet during the period. still, I am not a ShAkta but an Advaitin. So, in my opinion, try to first gather as much knowledge about this Dharma s you can before you can decide upon whether you want to remain a non-sectarian Hindu or join a particular sect.

I would advise you to read "Kathopanishad" and Bhagwad Gita first. Bhagwad Gita has many translations and sadly there are very few which are not tainted by opinion of writer's faith. Comparatively, I would place the translation done by Gita Press Gorakhpur (available free on-line) at a higher stage (less tainted by biases) than ISKCON's.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information