Thread: BBC News:'My new life as an Indian wife'

BBC News:'My new life as an Indian wife'

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: BBC News:'My new life as an Indian wife'

Namaste Ram ji,

Long time ago in 'Home & Garden Television' (HGTV) I was watching a show showing a young couple hunting houses for rent. The man was Indian, the woman was White. The young woman was passing remarks exclaiming how small the rented houses (in Mumbai) they could find for their targeted price range! And she wanted a house that looked out - had a balcony or sitting area where she could relax as she was brought up her whole life apparently in houses where such a feature was there! As the realtor showed them a rental apartment in a multi-story high rise, he showed them a balcony which was kinda small but looked out at the street, just like how the woman wanted! As soon as she exclaimed, "Now I have my sitting area!", the man retorted, "Noway! This is my office!". I felt pity for the woman, for a moment, I felt how much she has given up to be with this new man, (who was much shorter than her), leaving behind her job, her parents, her country, her comfy living, and her everything to be with this man in a crowded city as a 'foreigner' to everything, and that too to live in a tiny apartment, just longing for a quiet space for relaxation, and for that how selfish the guy must be to claim even that space as not 'theirs' but 'just his'!

This has been in my mind ever since I watched the show and I felt like sharing it in your thread 'cause it gives me an opportunity! Might show the readers what it is to renounce life in the West for a Westerner!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste Ram ji,

Long time ago in 'Home & Garden Television' (HGTV) I was watching a show showing a young couple hunting houses for rent. The man was Indian, the woman was White. The young woman was passing remarks exclaiming how small the rented houses (in Mumbai) they could find for their targeted price range! And she wanted a house that looked out - had a balcony or sitting area where she could relax as she was brought up her whole life apparently in houses where such a feature was there! As the realtor showed them a rental apartment in a multi-story high rise, he showed them a balcony which was kinda small but looked out at the street, just like how the woman wanted! As soon as she exclaimed, "Now I have my sitting area!", the man retorted, "Noway! This is my office!". I felt pity for the woman, for a moment, I felt how much she has given up to be with this new man, (who was much shorter than her), leaving behind her job, her parents, her country, her comfy living, and her everything to be with this man in a crowded city as a 'foreigner' to everything, and that too to live in a tiny apartment, just longing for a quiet space for relaxation, and for that how selfish the guy must be to claim even that space as not 'theirs' but 'just his'!

This has been in my mind ever since I watched the show and I felt like sharing it in your thread 'cause it gives me an opportunity! Might show the readers what it is to renounce life in the West for a Westerner!
    Namaste Viraja Ji,

What you said is very true.

I feel sad especially about the miserable status of women in India.A woman is always making sacrifices through out her life,as a wife,as a mother etc.She is expected to live at a new home as a wife and adjust with the in-laws and as a mother a woman does so many things for children a man would never do.Even today though women are educated and employed they are still expected to do all the domestic chores.The life a woman is that of permanent patience(sahanam) and sacrifice(tyaga).Despite all this women in India are treated in such an awful way that I feel pained.If only Indians could realize that they are forms of the great Devi rather than treating them as objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste Ji,

Sorry,I did not see this.

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

I feel that what we are seeing in the treatment of women is the after effects of colonism by the British, which altered the very fabric of society. I don't think that the Dharmic way of life was like this originally. Is this correct?

Thread Information