Thread: Hinduism and Heavy Music: More Connected Than You Think

Cool Hinduism and Heavy Music: More Connected Than You Think

Namaste HDF,

Some fellow Hindus I know, on this forum and elsewhere, are curious how I can reconcile my beliefs in Hinduism with my participation in the punk/hard rock/heavy metal music subcultures. It took me a while to look up an answer, but I have one, if anyone still cares.

As it turns out, a certain subculture of the punk movement was actually influenced by Hinduism (more specifically the ideals of ISKCON and the Hare Krishna movement). This subculture of punk influenced by Hinduism is known as Straight Edge.

The Straight Edge movement within punk rejected the hedonism of the core punk movement while still embracing punk's ideals of rebelling against the (then) rigid societal norms of America. Straight Edge punks often abstained from recreational drugs, eating meat, and promiscuous sex; sometimes Straight Edge punks even took up causes such as animal rights.

As for how Hinduism (and again more specifically ISKCON and the Hare Krishna movement) influenced Straight Edge, there is evidence to support this assertion, as seen in previous articles on the topic like this one:

http://books.google.com/?id=iqjQUZoq...page&q&f=false

This subculture of punk influenced by Hindu/ISKCON beliefs would go on to influence other similar music genres, like the heavy metal I listen to.

Re: Hinduism and Heavy Music: More Connected Than You Think

Namaskar,

I grew up listening to thrash metal, death metal and hardcore punk and later I got into grindcore, deathcore and eventually the progressive stuff. You are correct, the hardcore punk scene (particularly straight edge scene) and ISKCON have a long standing relationship. I know a lot of people in ISKCON who found the movement through the punk scene. Straight edge and ISKCON share a lot of the same values. Also, if you listen to the more progressive metal/core genres you will hear a lot of "spiritual" or New Age themes in the music; I found that to be pretty interesting. That being said, it is my opinion that the heavy music scene is in fact no way similar to true Hinduism (Sanatana Dharma).

I grew up in the scene and I played in several bands and I continued to frequent shows up until a few years ago. I used to love the music and I had so many friends in that scene. It eventually became a part of me, and I totally identified with the message of the music, the people, the lifestyle, everything. However, as I developed more and more spiritually, I realized that the music was in direct contradiction to what I was trying to accomplish on the spiritual path. The kind of people I would hang around were not good company either. Most of them were immersed in drugs and sex and had a very negative, atheistic view of the world. It is a very rebellious scene, and I found that even the straight edge individuals who didn't take part in drug use or promiscuous sex or meat-eating were still very rebellious at heart. And while I certainly don't agree with everything the government or the world has done, I didn't think having an attitude of rebellion was very good for my sadhana. Therefore, I decided to give it all up. I parted ways with the music and the friends. Nobody really understood what I was doing or why I was doing it, and I couldn't explain it to them either, but I knew that I just had to move on. The negativity of it all was taking me away from God consciousness and I just couldn't stand it anymore. However, I will say that it wasn't easy to give up. For awhile there was a major pull in two directions. One side of me wanted to keep playing the music, especially because my band was growing in popularity and I was really starting to have fun performing, but another side of me wanted to renounce everything for the sake of my spiritual health. And I knew wholeheartedly that I couldn't reconcile the two. I knew that if I wanted to keep playing in the band I wouldn't get any closer to Śiva. I was really torn on this issue for a couple years and I remained silent about it until I made my final decision. Eventually, I couldn't stand being "on the fence" anymore and I just had to let it go. I "let go & let God" as they say, and to this day that is one of the best decisions I ever made. After pushing aside the music and the bad company, I skyrocketed in my spiritual growth. I decided that I would put as much effort (if not more) into playing spiritual music as I put into playing metal. So, I bought a mridanga and a flute and I started creating my own devotional music. It was a completely different way of playing music because there was no ego involved. I didn't care about recording the music and publishing it. I didn't care if it sounded "cool" or not. It was just a way of connecting with the Divine. I didn't play for anybody else but God...and that made it so much more rewarding. Needless to say, I've grown a lot since giving up the heavy music.

Now, I am not here to judge or to say that what you are doing is wrong. If you like the music and you feel like you can reconcile it with spiritual life, then that's great. I just thought I would at least share my experience in hopes that it would help you in some way. I wish you all the best in your spiritual endeavors.

Pranam.

ॐ नमः शिवाय,
    LightofOm
    ॐ मृत्युंजयाय रुद्राय नीलकण्ठाय शम्भवे l
    अमृतेशाय शर्वाय महादेवाय ते नम: ll

Sanātana Dharma Worldwide

Hi,
    Thank you for sharing this. I'll try to read that article even though the tiny font is difficult on my eyes. I knew about some punk musicians being influenced by ISKCON but I never knew there were so many. I found this paper that you might enjoy on the subject of "Krishnacore": https://www.academia.edu/2639046/The...of_Krishnacore

Great thread. I hope more people join in, if they know of more bands and articles or even their own experiences.

Have a great day.

Namaskar,
    I am myself into Rock and Heavy metal Music.And the music genre "Christian Rock" also is another good genre which talks about our inner demons and how to overcome them.And talking about "Straight Edge",I came to know about it from a Wrestling Show.Yeah it sounds weird but I came to know about it from a Character called "CM Punk" who follows Straight Edge Lifestyle which meant that he doesn't drink,smoke or does drugs.It is all about clean living and being drug free,alcohol free and all that good things.I followed it but never knew it was connected to our culture in a way too.Thanks for letting me know.

Dhanyavad
    Hari bol

Namaste LightOfOm,

This is what I had found out for myself in my musical journey. I played drum set for an all-girls rock band 10 years ago. One thing I never did like was the pot-smoking environment and the heavy drinking among some of the girls. After the band disbanded because of disagreements between two of the girls, I more or less kept on with my drumming in private, but then I realized that it was really not that important, and the drumming started dropping off. At about the same time, 3 years ago, I picked up didgeridoo playing, because rock music was still not enough of an escape from western playing. Now, I can be totally myself, in my Ancient way, as a musician. I do a lot of meditation that way, even while I'm on the computer (I'll do raspberry sounds with just my lips for long periods of time). It's my way of connecting with this "something" that I'm unable to describe to this day. Some sense of awareness. It is no longer important to me that I have chops and lots of recordings.

You get to meet me here and see/hear what I do in my free time or when I'm working the Pub at Sherwood Forest Faire in central Texas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaud1Zve-SY

Namaste,

Interesting stuff - experiences and likes of the young.

It is important to know that what you read, see and listen impacts your sadhana. In Sanatan Dharma music is another means to connect with the divine, and what fits the bill is the Indian classical music of different ragas for different times of the day and for devotional bhajans. Of course not everyone feels the need to be strictly on the path and deviates and enjoys whatever pleases him. But spiritually speaking that does not make it right. So, make yourself happy with whatever suits your personality but please don't rationalize to connect it with the Sanatan Dharma.

Pranam.

PS LightofOm, Thanks for your inputs!

Namaste Believer,

Your thoughts here have actually brought up some serious soul-searching questions in myself. In a good way, though. I'm not upset or disturbed, but rather pensive. You got me to think in a good way. I'll send you a PM about it, as I don't want to discuss specifics in this thtead, as that is derailment.

Vannakkam: I didn't want to say anything because of past discussions going nowhere fast, but I'm with Believer. Basically the question is, "Yes the music moves me, but in which direction does it make the chakras spin?"

A person can be calmed, sent inner, or rattled by music. The dentist office and the elevator don't generally play rock and roll. The scriptures tell us that our ancient instruments imitate inner sounds.

@deafancient ... I liked you concert. Fascinating mystical instrument, always reminds me so much of Aum.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,
    very interesting thread!
    I've been basically into dark and metal music for most of my life. My true love is synth music and I have finally reached that time when I can actually make some music myself. I grew up listening to deep music, bands that would sing about life, spirituality and love, like Depeche Mode, Dead Can Dance and Paradise Lost. All three of them can be considered dark, although I wouldn't say any of them is dark in a negative way, but just deep and sometimes carrying heavy messages.
    Since I attended my first kirtan, I am regurarly listening to bahjans. I even listen to them while walking outside or using public transport. They lift me up for sure.
    On the other hand, I didn't renounce my music loves. I still listen to almost everything I used to listen to. I have never seen anything negative in that music and that's why I don't see a reason to reject it. There are periods when I'm only listening to bahjans, but I can play something utterly brutal like some dark electro and then after it bahjans again. Even dark electro music which is mostly dark in every aspect- having dark or stupid lyrics, singing about serial killers etc. doesn't make me negative. While I'm listening to that kind of music I'm imagining myself singing spiritual lyrics. It's something in its sound which resonates with my inner being.
    My music is on the other hand different, although it is obvious which genres I like since I'm making electronic music. At the moment I'm working on something that could be classified as new age. Bahjans have for sure taken their course.
    Thing that has changed since I pushed myself more into spirituality is lack of need for social life. I stopped going out because I don't see much point in it- nightlife means lack of sleep and messed up biorhythm. I have never had negative experiences with people I used to hang out with and I've never used drugs. Except for some middle teenage years I can't even say I drank alcohol. It is because I never cared about what is usual on the scene. Usually people drink, mosh and puke afterwards. I didn't drink and I was afraid of moshing, so I would just enjoy the music.
    If I had a band, it would definitely be clear that I am involved in spirituality. It would probably be dark music with light in lyrics.

Regarding instruments, I definitely want to learn mridanga, at least basic rhythms.

Thread Information