Thread: Physical disability

Physical disability

Namaste,

I've been practicing & considering myself as a Hindu for quite awhile now, still love it to depths, yet... only now I'm actually wondering -

What is Hindu AND Indian view on physically disabled people?

Now I've been disabled since birth (yet it's light disability even though it's my whole left side...), but I've never really had "disabled identity" to worry about something so small. Also Hindu beliefs in karma & reincarnation makes it logical to me, yet I don't think that just because i'm disabled, i'm less than a person...

Yet... I don't know... I am not sure I should even ever try to go to India (I'd love to go to Chennai), probably my interest in Tamil Nadu made me question myself: "But wait, as a woman I might be accepted, but what if I'm disabled?"

Aum Namah Shivaya,
    - Alise/Alisha
    Siva Yogaswami used to say, "It takes courage to be happy all the time."

Re: Physical disability

Namaste Alise,

As much as I know those with physically disability are considered to be a manifestation/representation of Lord Saturn, since Saturn is physically disabled too. So you will be treated very well.

Warmly,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Alise,

Quote Originally Posted by Alise View Post
    Yes, Karma is the explanation for any good/bad things happens to any person on this earth. However, why should we be so concerned about physical disability and not other handicaps people face in their lives around us ?

a) People with mental disability
    b) People with abject poverty
    c) People who don't have good/loving parents
    d) People who get orphaned
    e) People who crave for white skin and are born dark-skinned
    f) People who don't get good life-partners
    g) People who are born in slums
    h) People who have everything but are born with serious diseases

etc. etc. etc.

My dear Alise, this world is not our home. We are children of God who have got stuck here due to our desires/fear and past Karmas. The disabled body which you say that it is "you" is neither "you" nor it is "yours". In fact, you are not even bound by "your" Karma .... this is all due to our attachment to body-mind entity.

You are pure consciousness reflecting through this body and mind in a particular manner. This life is a small journey as compared to our eternal life as "Self/Brahman". This body is born out of Nature and will finally merge back into Nature. Why bother about something which is not yours but has been lent to you by mother Nature for a specific segment of time on this earth ?

There can be nothing wrong with you or any person due to Karma or whatever. It is all in our minds. The mind is our prison and mind is the gateway to freedom which is truly ours. Keep your mind happy, peaceful, unattached and keep watching the dream of this world till you are here.

Yet... I don't know... I am not sure I should even ever try to go to India (I'd love to go to Chennai), probably my interest in Tamil Nadu made me question myself: "But wait, as a woman I might be accepted, but what if I'm disabled?"
    Throw this baggage out of your mind. The disability is there Only in your mind. It actually doesn't belong to you unless you own it.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Alise View Post

... I don't think that just because i'm disabled, i'm less than a person..
    Disabled people are treated in India just as other people are; so, you are no less than a person.

If and whenever you do visit India, I hope you would have some contacts before your departure and be with them most of the time. Please don't ever put yourself in any vulnerable situation.

Pranam.

Thread Information