Thread: How to do Naam Kirtan and Mahamantra japa without being offensive?

How to do Naam Kirtan and Mahamantra japa without being offensive?

I've always been attracted to the worship of Sri Sri Radha-Krishna, but as a Westerner who works in a demanding field with long hours (social work) I know that I would be unable to meet the stringent demands required by most gurus at the time of diksha or even harinam initiation. So I remain independent and unaffiliated with any Vaishnava organization. (This does not mean that I would not consider joining a Vaishnava organization in the future if my circumstances change.)

However I still try tofollow the universal spiritual path of Naam sankirtan and Mahamantra japa as taught by Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. As such Sri Chaitanya is my "siksa guru". I honor Sri Sri Radha-Krishna as God/dess in the original, simple, and natural way of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Sri Chaitanya led an inclusive and welcoming movement (which was rather revolutionary!) which was open to all regardless of religious background, caste, or life condition to experience the transforming effect of Radha-Krishna bhakti in their everyday lives.

"O my Lord, Your holy name alone can render all benediction to living beings, and thus You have hundreds and millions of names like Krishna and Govinda. In these transcendental names You have invested all Your transcendental energies. There are not even hard and fast rules for chanting these names. O my Lord, out of kindness You enable us to easily approach You by chanting Your holy names, butI am so unfortunate that I have no attraction for them." ~ Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu in the Siksastaka (the only thing He actually wrote).

In the Siksastaka, Sri Chaitanya did not specify specific regulations or lifestyle choices or number of rounds of japa per day or necessitate particular rituals or initiation by a guru (although none of these things are bad in themselves if they assist a particular individual on his or her spiritual journey).

In addition to the Siksastaka, I also study the Bhagavad Gita, the Srimad Bhagavatam (aka Bhagavata Purana), and the Uddhava Gita.

In fact, Lord Krishna concludes His Bhagavad-gita teaching by saying, Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender to Me. I will deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear. (Bhagavad Gita 18:66). It is even stated in the Caitanya-caritamrta: diksa-purascarya-vidhi apeksa na kare jihva-sparsea-candala sabare uddhar: One does not have to undergo initiation or execute the activities required before initiation. One simply has to vibrate the holy name with his lips. Thus even a man in the lowest class [candala] can be delivered.

Through the practice of Naam sankirtan and Mahamantra japa, we can become more mindful of Sri Sri Radha-Krishna and to perform all of our everyday duties as a devotional service to Them. In this age of Kali-Yuga, we do not need to do any other religious requirements or regulations other than Naam sankirtan and Mahamantra japa. (I avoid doing aarti/puja so that I do not inadvertedly cause offense). "Harer nama, harer nama, harer namaiva kevalam, kalau nasti eva, nastieva, nasti eva gatir anyatha: In this Age of Degradation, the only way toescape is through the Holy Name, the Holy Name, the Holy Name of the Lord.There is no other way, there is no other way, there is no other way."
    Last edited by dsaly1969; 30 December 2014 at 04:28 PM.

Re: How to do Naam Kirtan and Mahamantra japa without being offensive?

Vannakkam: Personally, I don't think you can be offensive in our religion, as long as it's not degradation. It's like a penny is still money saved. Any act of devotion, no matter how small, is worthwhile. Welcome back, by the way.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks for the welcome back!

Well, that depends how offense is interpreted. While probably hard to create offense with Naam Sankirtan and Mahamantra japa (although I do like both the regular Mahamantra as well as the Yugal Mahamantra so maybe that will do it), I understand it would be very easy to cause offense if trying to do puja and aarti to Sri Sri Radha-Krishna murtis. I hear that it is much better to start off with devotion to Gaura Nitai or perhaps Pancha Tattva who are much more "forgiving" of inadvertent offenses not done deliberately (I would probably start with framed photos rather than murtis of Gaura Nitai and Pancha Tattva as well).

My new goal is to institute devotion to Gaura Nitai and Pancha Tattva in my household along with my Naam sankirtan and Mahamantra japa.

And then there is the whole train of thought of how closely you follow the "regulative principles" before you chant on tulasi beads (as opposed to neem or other materials) although I do think BG 18:66 addresses that for me. (I do differentiate between intention and unintentional offense.)

Being "independent" and unaffiliated does have pros and cons. The pros is that I have been able to visit Gaudiya Vaishnava communities and temples of various affiliations and discover the unique devotional moods of each of them. (I like them all.) I do have great respect for Srila Prabhupada although I do think that I might end up being more comfortable someplace outside of ISKCON (but I still do not rule out possibilities). I have 5 more years or so on the job before I can retire and make some real lasting changes to my life situation and my spirituality. In the meantime I try to do what I can which brings up the cons - community/sanga is important to encourage ongoing spiritual development and practice. I know I would do much better in the company of like-minded souls.

Namaste,

I admire your tenacity, single-mindedness and depth. In a way, by being in the field of social work, you are already doing the service to mankind that sometimes comes after years of following the spiritual path. Congratulations on that.

Quote Originally Posted by dsaly1969 View Post
    Being "independent" and unaffiliated does have pros and cons. The pros is ...........which brings up the cons.....
    Being analytical on the spiritual path sure helps a devotee to stay focused on the goal. Best wishes.

Pranam.

It would be nice though to be able to associate with a wide variety of Vaishnavas from various affiliations with a focus on Naam sankirtan (I do think there seems to be more emphasis given to japa and not enough on sankirtan currently) without needing to segregate ourselves. In both of the locations where I reside (I work in one area during the week and my wife and kids live in another and I travel there on the weekends), I am a good hour away from specifically Vaishnava sanga. The priests at the Bakersfield Hindu temple have been very nice and welcoming, but these types of "nonsectarian" temples are there for darshan but little opportunity for "fellowship" as the function is different than a Vaishnava specific sanga which has classes, et al. (Also I find that I am more of a curiosity at the nonsectarian temple particularly, I think most Hindu "converts" tend to adopt Indian culture and dress in that fashion while I am proud of my own heritage - Cherokee and English - and show proper etiquette at the mandir but dress in conservative clothes appropriate to my background).

I tend to favor Achintya-Bheda-Abheda (inconceivable oneness and difference) of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu the best (I have always felt a strong connection to Sri Chaitanya) for myself. I know that viewpoint is more prevalent among the Gaudiya Vaishnavas including ISKCON, SCS Math, and the devotees of Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja (IPBYS?) as well as the devotees of Jagadguru Kripaluji Maharaj. I also think the Nimbarka sampradaya has a similar outlook. I've met and liked fellow Vaishnavas from all of these groups although I dislike some of the bickerings between groups (and also how they can be rude to Advaitins). I have my own concerns about some of the gurus and leaders or how they have addressed past issues which also makes me shy away from formal association, but I do think all of these groups fulfill specific spiritual needs for different types of devotees.

Of course one can worship Krishna without being a member of ISKCON. I know quite a few Advaitins who worship Krishna - including the Nama Dwaar / Global Organization for Divinity movement founded by Sri Muralidhara Swamiji.

Namaste,

Most western converts are attracted to the philosophy. It is not necessary to change your outfit. It is a personal choice.

You can join any sangh or institution for monthly or weekly naam kirtan, but you can stay away from getting initiated. There is and should be no compulsion. It is not necessary to even donate. You will have to be firm if they try to persuade you to join the group officially. You can say that I like sankirtan but would like to practice spirituality alone.

It is good that you are attracted to Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's philosophy. But to chant Maha Mantra or any other mantra, it is not necessary to adhere to this philosophy too.

A liberal sampradAya is smArta which considers equality of all God, Siva, viShNu, gaNeSa, Sakti and sUrya. Just for the sake of reply, you can say I like smArta dharma, but Maha mantra is very attractive. Even Advaita saints including SankarAcArya-s promote nAma sankirtana.

OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Wow! I was suprised to run across the Krishna West initiative started by Hridayananda Dasa Goswami of ISKCON. I guess it has started some controversy but I like it.

"We call this movement Krishna West because we do everything possible to make bhakti-yoga easy, relevant and enjoyable for Western people, without in any way compromising, diluting, or diminishing the purity and power of a glorious ancient tradition. We do this by offering the essential spiritual teaching and practice in its entirety, without requiring students and practitioners to embrace a new ethnicity composed of non-essential Eastern dress, cuisine, music etc. People in the West need and deserve the chance to practice genuine bhakti-yoga within an external culture that is comfortable and natural for them.

Krishna West is part of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, the "Hare Krishna Movement," founded by A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. We seek to serve the Western world with intelligent, appropriate, non-sectarian spiritual activism that powerfully addresses, with spiritual wisdom, issues of social and economic justice, the global environment, and ultimate liberation. Our vision, that every living being is an eternal part of God and thus worthy of our love, forms the basis of our approach to justice, the environment, and enlightenment."

"I simply want people all over the Western countries to take this simple formula of chanting, dancing, eating Krishna prasadam, and being happy." - A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada ISKCON Founder-Acharya. (By the way I found more corroborating statements in this same vein in "The Science of Self-Realization".)

The three core practices of Krishna bhakti are as follows: 1) mantra meditation (japa and kirtan), 2) spiritual vegetarianism (prasadam), and 3) cultivation of transcendental knowledge (study of the Bhagavad Gita and Srimad Bhagavatam).

http://www.faithstreet.com/onfaith/2014/06/16/hare-krishna-gets-evangelical/32487

http://krishnawest.com/

Thread Information