Thread: Control of Senses & Material Elements

Control of Senses & Material Elements

Namaste,

I offer an interesting topic to you all today.
    I have noted a correlation between interaction with the material elements and control of the senses.

I'm going to give a simple example with the metaphor of a drug.

1. In daily tapasya someone may attain to a certain level of consciousness.
    This may create a certain level of bliss in the individual. This can be likened to the effect of a drug, except it being a ''natural'' or ''divine'' high if you will.

2. When this individual is required to interact with the material elements - I have noticed that states of meditativeness can immediately be broken with intense interactions with the material elements. Particularly in a Rajasic context. E.g.: an incident at work, or something that threatens your ego. The ''high'' is instantly shattered. If you avoid this and naturally wait for the tapasyas merits to fade I liken this to the ''coming down'' phase of a drug where you start feeling derogatory emotions again and you require tapasya again to rekindle that feeling. The only difference being this is not addictive. (Not in the biological sense anyway.)

My question is how do you deal with this? The duality I present is

someone going into the temple, leaving with a serene mindset,
    ''I love everything, I love everyone, I am grateful''
    then immediately an interaction with the material elements drags them
    back into that mindset of hatred, seperation and duality.

The problem I also recognise is that many times people keep doing this, repeating the cycle, pitying themselves in moments of material pain, and every so often when they engage in austerity or see something inspirational they garner a feeling of consciousness being raised -- only to be broken again, and return to the self-pity and hatred felt in mundane life.

I am not looking for a answer pertaining to Karma or anything along those lines, we are already aware of that. I wish to see your opinion about the best possible way people can deal with such situations.

Thanks.

Re: Control of Senses & Material Elements

Dear IcyCosmic,
    Namasthe!

Very good question.

My question is how do you deal with this? The duality I present is

someone going into the temple, leaving with a serene mindset,
    ''I love everything, I love everyone, I am grateful''
    then immediately an interaction with the material elements drags them
    back into that mindset of hatred, seperation and duality.
    "I love everything" is a thought you are holding onto ... a mental climate. And mental climate is always changing, so this will change too. Replaced by totally new climate ! What will one do now ?

Love is a consequence of understanding... not a practice. When I know myself, i am loving ... not as a practice, it just overflows from within. So when i try to reverse the cart putting it before the horse, i fall prey to such problems.

The solution is : Develop deep enough understanding, and resolve the "I" totally. It can be done easily if understanding is correct. If you read our scriptures... they teach the truth about you first. They do not tell you "Love every one" or "do not hate any one" to start with. Even if they tell, they immediately follow it up with teaching about your true nature.

Knowing urself, it is natural. Knowing yourself it is an automatic consequence... Do you know how a person who knows himself roams about ?

सुखमास्ते सुखं शेते
    सुखमायाति याति च।
    सुखं वक्ति सुखं भुंक्ते
    व्यवहारेऽपि शान्तधीः॥१८- ५९॥

Happy he stands, happy he sits, happy sleeps and happy he comes and goes. Happy he speaks, and happy he eats. Such is the life of a man at peace.॥59॥

When one is so full within , one is all Love ... not as a practice but as an automatic consequence of inner fullness. A person who is EMPTY WITHIN cannot love!

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Thread Information