Thread: Benefits of listening to Gita while sleeping

Benefits of listening to Gita while sleeping

Namaste,

for a long time the ''learning while you sleep'' phenom has been a pipe dream in modern science. Recent studies in the past 2-3 years are showing more promise, although in their very early stages. The most breakthrough studies are that students learning language are able to become fluent within 2-3 months by listening to audio tapes while sleeping. This success has not been present in many other fields. Since you can not conjure up what is learnt in the unconscious in waking states. Similar to how most dreams we simply forget within seconds of entering the waking state.

Hinduism is quite outspoken and fleshed out in regards to the waking/sleeping/ and dreaming states. Even if a dreaming state is a lower level of relative reality, if you were to listen to a audio tape of Gita while sleeping surely it will affect the actions in that astral realm. Similar to how your thoughts in the material world affect the content of your dreams. I experienced this personally as I experimented and I remember being slightly conscious for a few seconds in a dream and hearing one of the verses from the audio tape playing out in a dream. If one is reading gita in their regular life, but also embracing it in the sleeping state, would that be of any benefit? I do wonder.

The subconscious will take in the information as far as I know. I do not know whether the conscious mind in waking state will ever make use of the knowledge Krishna imparts to Arjuna when in a certain situation or partaking in a certain action. What is your opinion? If there is a strong link between the waking/sleeping state it leads me to believe that listening to the Bhagavad Gita in sleeping states can be helpful for students, especially new students, wishing to embark on the spiritual path.

These are all simply assumptions and ideas. I have tried this for the past week, I listen to the gita consciously for about 20-30 minutes before falling asleep. (Starting it roughly where I remember falling asleep the previous day on the next night) and then subconsciously taking in the remaining one and a half hours while sleeping.

What is your opinion on this?

Re: Benefits of listening to Gita while sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    Namaste,

for a long time the ''learning while you sleep'' phenom has been a pipe dream in modern science. Recent studies in the past 2-3 years are showing more promise, although in their very early stages. The most breakthrough studies are that students learning language are able to become fluent within 2-3 months by listening to audio tapes while sleeping. This success has not been present in many other fields. Since you can not conjure up what is learnt in the unconscious in waking states. Similar to how most dreams we simply forget within seconds of entering the waking state.

Hinduism is quite outspoken and fleshed out in regards to the waking/sleeping/ and dreaming states. Even if a dreaming state is a lower level of relative reality, if you were to listen to a audio tape of Gita while sleeping surely it will affect the actions in that astral realm. Similar to how your thoughts in the material world affect the content of your dreams. I experienced this personally as I experimented and I remember being slightly conscious for a few seconds in a dream and hearing one of the verses from the audio tape playing out in a dream. If one is reading gita in their regular life, but also embracing it in the sleeping state, would that be of any benefit? I do wonder.

The subconscious will take in the information as far as I know. I do not know whether the conscious mind in waking state will ever make use of the knowledge Krishna imparts to Arjuna when in a certain situation or partaking in a certain action. What is your opinion? If there is a strong link between the waking/sleeping state it leads me to believe that listening to the Bhagavad Gita in sleeping states can be helpful for students, especially new students, wishing to embark on the spiritual path.

These are all simply assumptions and ideas. I have tried this for the past week, I listen to the gita consciously for about 20-30 minutes before falling asleep. (Starting it roughly where I remember falling asleep the previous day on the next night) and then subconsciously taking in the remaining one and a half hours while sleeping.

What is your opinion on this?
    Namaste
    I remember the pipe dream. When I was in college I was told that if you study immediately before sleeping you'll remember better. I have also found that when I sleep listening to something I tend to remember it although I may need a mention of it in order to stir the brain cells.

I want to learn Hindi and had not thought about listening to it while sleeping! I am going to try that because I know that learning can take place on a sub conscious level.

Do you try listening all night long? I mean while you are asleep as well as while you fall asleep?

Thanks for this post. It may help me with Hindi
    Om Namah Shivaya
    ஓம் நமசிவாய

Re: Benefits of listening to Gita while sleeping

Sorry for the late reply MS, I did not realise any one had replied, but I am bumping this thread despite the elapsed time as I maintain strong interest in this question.

As per your question, I don't ''try'' to listen all night long, I simply listen until I fall asleep. It may mean you stay awake for longer than usual since Krishnas words are of course attractive.

Thread Information