Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Advaita can offer ...?

Re: What Advaita can offer ...?

Namaste Devotee ji

Thank you very much for addressing my questions patiently and compationatelty.

It will sound like a defeated child if I say I am not convinced but at the same time I must be honest with you.

I need to apply the messages learnt here into my practical life in order to say yes it works. It is because I don't see spirituality as something to be practised in temple or in front of one's personal altar or just to preach someone.

Why can I meditate in a conducive environment and cant while in job. It means I am dependent on external factors.

I had a PM session with Yajvan ji. I cant explain my lessons as this is not the right time. But it triggered some important changes in me.

I have to do a lot of self study and practise to confirm you that I understood your message.

In case I get stuck somewhere shall post my question again here with a belief that you or some member of HDF will be able to guide me.

Thanks again for your compasionate replies and to all those who participated in this thread.
    Anirudh...

Namaste Anirudh,

Before we close here, I would like to say some of things that we do in Advaita practice and how it helps better than other paths :

a) You are taught that mind is most powerful in this world and therefore don't accept any limitations on your mental or physical capabilities. Instead, make your thoughts powerful and you will see that things start happening as you desire.

Training the mind comes from Yama, Niyama and Titikshaa. You also seek GUru's/God's intervention for this.

b) You are taught that you are not a slave of God but you are son of God and you are non-different from God. You are taught to pray not like a slave but demand whatever is rightful from God and Guru.

c) Keeping body in good condition is very important and therefore you are taught to do regular Yogic exercises. You are taught to eat right food and in small quantity.

d) You are taught that by progressing spiritually and increasing the power of mind you can change the current status and future for you and you can override the effects of Karma.

e) You are taught that mind can be brought into control by PrANAyAm and by right meditation you can activate your chakras i.e. centres of consciousness. Once the heart chakra is activated, there is no going down and that is when you hear the sound of OM.

You are taught special techniques to activate chakras in faster way depending upon your Guru's system.

f) You are taught to be calm in all situations and develop compassion towards everyone as every being is none other than God. This practice and understanding helps you become better person in your life.

g) You become less attached to senses and to your worldly possessions and that makes your life much easier and also helps you spiritually.

h) Considering that everything in this world is impermanent and that nothing is going to last, you develop objectivity in your dealings in worldly affairs and that helps you greatly in managing them.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thank you very much Devotee ji for the summation.

I am greatly indebted to you...
    Anirudh...

Dear Anirudh ji,
    Namasthe!

Advaita offers us Total Self Satisfaction 24 7.

Purnam adah, purnam idam ... You are Purna, Complete... This is the vision. You are Fulfilled ... irrespective of all the external circumstances and situations ! Ever fully satisfied.

This is the offering... and if you can find a good teacher who has the vision, it shall be possible in your own life to realize this ...

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste

For a moment if we assume HDF as miniature world, we find that, we all are in a kind of hot pursuit or in search of something with a belief if it is found will bring peace prosperity wealth satisfaction etc etc.

So with a basic agreement that we all searching something or the other, what does the knowledge of Advaita offer to the seeker?

The question might NOT fit into the general norms of Advaita ideologies due to sentence formation. But the idea is to know what Advaita offer to the human who is busy getting the ends to meet?

Pardon me if similar questions have been raised in the past. I posted as I couldn't find answers ....

Thanks in advance...
    Namaste Anirudha,

Interactions with you always bring out brutal frankness in me, so let me offer the following along the line :--

Yes, survival and winning over adversities is what occupies individuals; similarly, let us think about what Dharma has to do in order to survive and win over.

Have you ever tried to explain Hinduism or some part of it to a Muslim? From my own experience I can say, that the only way I could do that was via Advaita.

There is much more to it. Dharma has to expand its frontiers quietly, because mutual annihilation (in the name of whatever) is not the way forward for humanity.

It is not too much of stretch to see that Dvaita and Advaita are the attractors for Christians and Muslims respectively, when they make a conscious move towards the higher principles (but coded deep within) of Dharma.

Dvaita and Advaita, therefore, take on the role of "the receptionist"- the helping hand- from within the vast expanses of Dharma. To take one more example, in the 70's and 80's we heard of many Westerners becoming Dharma-inclined due to the presence and movement of ISCKON (dvaitic paradigm) there-- however, once Dharma having found roots in the West, we now see Western Hindus coming along in all shades -- Shaivas, Kali-bhaktas, Hanubhaktas, so on-- reflective of the fact that on the average many today have indeed moved closer to the "core" of Dharma.

But once we are there- the core- and a lot of effort is required in order to be there - whether one was "born a Hindu" or "was adopted"- we also become something of "the giver"- and are required to preserve and nourish the "core" much more than emphasising on the "frontiers" and the "receptionists".

KT
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Namaste Silence Speaks and Kalicharan ji

I will reply to individually later today, however, writing this reply just to say thanks for sharing your views.

I also take this opportunity to thank Devotee jj and Yajvan ji who gave very vital inputs on this subject.
    Anirudh...

Thread Information