Thread: FOR Sarita Devi

FOR Sarita Devi

Namaste,

I did not watch the boxing match but I read about Indian woman boxer Sarita Devi's decision in having given back her medal in the Asian Games 2014.

What I did not like and the reason for writing this thread is that the Indian Olympic Association has decided to bar Sarita Devi from participating at all International events for a LONG time...

This is pathetic! I wonder if any other country would do such a dishonor to its own athlete, especially when justice is on their side!

Here is what Dr. Subramaniam Swamy has to say about Sarita Devi's decision:

Shame on International Olympic Association and shame on spineless Indian Olympic association officials.
    Our boxer Sarita Devi broke down crying at the podium as she refused to accept her bronze medal to protest the WRONG decision AGAINST her.
    Sarita accepted the medal in her hand and then gave it to silver medalist Ji Na Park (of host South Korea).

Earlier in the boxing match, Sarita BATTERED Park (the Korean boxer) with her punches but two of the judges awarded the round 10-9 in favour of the host fighter while only one judge gave the round 10-9 to Sarita. Thereafter, the biased judges declared Sarita the loser (despite her entirely dominating the bout).

It's also humiliating to know that she had to borrow money from a journalist to lodge her protest against the decision BECAUSE officials from the Indian Olympic Association chose NOT to involve themselves in Sarita's case. (And that protest too, was rejected by the International Boxing Association)

Sarita has put up a brave face and said she would continue to compete as she wants to set an example for future boxers. But it's time we support her and tell her that she IS the real winner in our eyes.
    Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: FOR Sarita Devi

Namaste,

Olympic committee has forgiven Sarita Devi after she has tendered a written apology.

What the referee did is abominable and disgusting. This matter should be raised at highest international level and rules should be changed.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Re: FOR Sarita Devi

Thank you for the update, Devotee ji!

I don't think it was correct for the Olympic committee to request a written apology from Sarita Devi. Afterall, she did not 'violate' any rule! I think she has all the right to give back her medal if she felt there was injustice in the judgement! This is just basic human right, IMHO.

I was also browsing on the net for any other incidences like this and came upon this story: http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...versial-finish

What struck me in the above message are these 2 comments:

"While I was up there I was thinking all the time that I've spent training for the Olympics. … I still don't understand why my match was not declared finished after her last-third hits."
    The best athletes in the world compete in the Olympics. They deserve the best judges and clocks as well.
    Thanks & Regards.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thread Information