Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TEMPLES - Wishlist

Re: TEMPLES - Wishlist

Namaskar Anucarh,
    Quote Originally Posted by anucarh View Post
    Thank you for the correction. They both seem like good choices.
    From what I understand there are several and each is a little different, and I think one might actually still be active. They're all good choices, I agree.
    I googled this temple after reading your comments. It looks absolutely incredible! It must be enormous as well, judging from the photos.
    It is quite large, yes, and busy.

Here are a series of slideshows from Somanathapura Chennakeshwara Temple. I'm sorry it took so long for me to get them together, I hadn't really curated the photos I took yet, this was a great chance to do so. This Temple is a ruin after a Muslim invasion, but rather than being completely destroyed, it was mostly buried, so there's a lot intact and it has been slowly been being restored.

Because it's inactive people are allowed to take pictures inside the sanctums as well as outside the Temple.

Keshava Yard

Main Gate and Entry Area

Temple Compound

Main Hall and Antechamber

Sri Chennakeshava Shrine

Sri Janadhara Shrine

Sri Venugopala Shrine

Keshava Temple Exterieor

I still need to organize what I have for Ranganathaswami Temple, but there are far fewer of those as it's an active temple. Will post them when I've got them in order.

~Pranam
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 18 November 2014 at 05:22 PM.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Vannakkam: I've posted this before, but it seems this might be a good place to do it again. The Tamil Nadi government virtual tour site is a great place to browse many of the ancient Dravidian temples before going.

http://tamilnadutourism.org/virtualtour/

I'm not sure if other states have similar websites.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Here are a series of slideshows from Somanathapura Chennakeshwara Temple. I'm sorry it took so long for me to get them together, I hadn't really curated the photos I took yet, this was a great chance to do so. This Temple is a ruin after a Muslim invasion, but rather than being completely destroyed, it was mostly buried, so there's a lot intact and it has been slowly been being restored.

Because it's inactive people are allowed to take pictures inside the sanctums as well as outside the Temple.

I still need to organize what I have for Ranganathaswami Temple, but there are far fewer of those as it's an active temple. Will post them when I've got them in order.

~Pranam
    Namaste Aanandinii,

Thank you for the excellent virtual tour of Somanathapura Chennakeshwara Temple! I finally had a chance to look at it all. I love the ringed pillars and the detail that remains in the beautiful statuary and the high relief. (Also, your Whovian moniker did not escape me. ) I'm glad that so much has survived.

I look forward to the shots of the Ranganathaswami Temple.

praṇām
    Last edited by anucarh; 24 November 2014 at 02:31 PM.
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I've posted this before, but it seems this might be a good place to do it again. The Tamil Nadi government virtual tour site is a great place to browse many of the ancient Dravidian temples before going.

http://tamilnadutourism.org/virtualtour/

I'm not sure if other states have similar websites.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste EM ji,

Thank you for this.

praṇām
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Namaste Ji,

Did any one visit Sri Kedarnath & Sri Badrinath?
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste Ji,

Did any one visit Sri Kedarnath & Sri Badrinath?
    I haven't, but I have visited the Yamunotri Mandir in Uttarakashi this summer (also the Raghunath Mandir in Rishikesh, but I'd rather not talk about that). The walking was slightly tiresome, but it was more than worth it. There's a huge, yellow ghanta in the center and I love the simplicity. If you ever go, make sure to have enough water with you and to keep a rain coat with you if it rains (it can get quite cold, even in the summer, since you're at such a high altitude). If you're willing to walk a bit further, to Saptarshi Kund, you can see Champasar glacier, which is the origin of the Yamuna. However, I don't recommend doing so, since you could get lost easily. I would post pictures, if I can get them uploaded to my computer.
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Namaste Jaskaran Singh

It is very cool that you have been to Yamunotri (and also Gangotri?)

I have been to BadrinAth -- one way ticket to Badrinath. Ended up living there for 15 days, and traveled to Kedarnath as well (2 day trip from Badrinath). Stayed at Gauri-kund overnight and walked up to Kedarnath.

JahAn BadriNArAyaN rahate hain, us dhAm ko vaikunTh kehete hai

However, most amazing was the VishNu-mandir at VishNu-prayAg - a few km down in the valley -- where all the magic of GhanashyAm began...
    Last edited by smaranam; 29 November 2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: vishNu-prayAg
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Just as Yamunotri is the ugam (origin) of river YamunA, and Gangotri is the origin (ugam) of GangA, the Saraswati ugam can be seen at BadrinAth, a little north from the main temple, at the village called MAnA, at the BhArat-China/Tibet border. It is in this area (MAnA, border) that one sees the VyAs GufA (cave where VedaVyAs wrote all purANs and Bramha sUtra), a few yards south of which is GaNesh gufA where Shri GaNesh wrote down as VyAsa dev dictated.

To the left of Saraswati ugam is the waterfall of the 8 Vasus. To the right is the bridge that Bheem built & Pandavas crossed during svarga-rohiNi (final exit) and where Draupadi fell into the waters.

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    However, most amazing was the VishNu-mandir at VishNu-prayAg - a few km down in the valley -- where all the magic of GhanashyAm began...
    Hare KRshNa

PrayAg means confluence of rivers. On the way to the most auspicious and holy dhAm of BadrinAth, are several such holy prayAg (confluences).

prayAg <---------> rivers
    Nanda-prayAg: alaknandA, nandAkinI
    Dev-prayAg: alaknandA, bhAgeerathI
    rUdra-prayAg: alaknandA, mandAkinI
    vishNu-prayAg: alaknandA, pinDari-gangA

[EDIT] > The river alaknandA is the earthly manifestation of GangA that flows at the Lotuf Feet of Shri VishNu (which is the teertha - holy water with which Lord BramhA washed Shri VishNu's feet).
    She remains therefore, at the Lotus Feet of BadrinArAyaN just below the footsteps of the BadrinAth Temple. This is the medium broad section of Ganga before it becomes the huge basin at Rushikesh)

[EDIT]> BhAgeerathI GangA is the portion of the waterfall (narrow) that comes down the mountains. When Bhageerath prayed (for decades) for the celestial GangA (AkAsh GangA that flows at BhagavAn VishNu's feet) to be brought to earth (to absolve sins of his ancestors), his wish was finally granted. The speed of the GangA from VaikunTha would have split the earth so Lord Shiva held her in His jaTA (matts) to reduce her pace.

> Badri is the fruit or tree that grows in the forest at the foothills of Himalayas. When VishNu came as Nar-NArAyaN Rshi and started performing penance here, to show the world the way, Lakshmi devi manifested as the Badri forest to provide shade and comfort.

Therefore, nAth (Lord) of Badri (who is LAkshmi).

> Pancha-ratna worshipped at BadrinAth dhAm (5 gems):
    1) BadrinArAyaN -- NArAyaN svayam (Supreme Lord, in yogic bramhachAri mudra, LAkshmi is not with Him)
    2) Nar Rshi
    3) NArAyaN RshI
    4) Uddhav
    5) NArad muni (devaRshi, sage of the devas)

(GaruD - Lord's vahan is on the side, and at the entrance)

Lakshmi is svayambhU (self-manifested, not carved and sculpted by humans) and has a seperate little mandir in the same premises. She is not with the Lord in His bramhachAri form.

jai BadrivishAl BadrinArAyaN BadrinAth
    Last edited by smaranam; 29 November 2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Added more clarity about AlaknandA and BhAgeerathi GangA

Namaste Jaskaran Singh Ji,

To be honest,I learnt more about Sri Kedarnath after the previous year disaster.I hope the place returns to its full glory soon.Thanks.

Namaste Smaranam Ji,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    Can we see the real Saraswati river?What is the Badri fruit?

Thread Information