Thread: Is pateurized milk sattvic?

1. Is pateurized milk sattvic?

Is pateurized milk sattvic? I've seen so many mixed ideas on the subject. It seems to me that people say you should boil your milk before you drink it. Is this true? It seems this is basically the pateurization process.

Re: Is pateurized milk sattvic?

Quote Originally Posted by drewclayman View Post
    Is pateurized milk sattvic? I've seen so many mixed ideas on the subject. It seems to me that people say you should boil your milk before you drink it. Is this true? It seems this is basically the pateurization process.
    Namaste,

If it is consumed right away after boiling it is Sattvic.

For all practical purposes any food stored more than 4 hours is deemed un Sattvic.

But here again I feel we have to consider time and place becos in yesteryears there were no refrigeration or any pasteurization techniques that could increase the shelf life of food..so anything standing more than 4 hours in a hot humid climate risks bacterial proliferation hence most probably the 4 hours beyond food is deemed unsattvic.

On a personal note I feel any food that is relatively free from bacterial contamination should be able to be consumed.

Many people who are strict followers of Sattva food criterion still have Coffee with milk in the mornings when Coffee falls under a habit forming stimulant which is Rajasic.

So dont worry..enjoy your glass of milk!

Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    Namaste,

If it is consumed right away after boiling it is Sattvic.
    For all practical purposes any food stored more than 4 hours is deemed un Sattvic.
    Namaste Renuka Ji,

I don't understand this,generally we use unboiled milk in rituals,so I thought only unboiled milk is Sattvik.Could you eleborate?
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste Renuka Ji,

I don't understand this,generally we use unboiled milk in rituals,so I thought only unboiled milk is Sattvik.Could you eleborate?
    Dear Ram ji,

Namaste,

Sattva is a terminology used for anything that is spiritually conducive.

Food is one of them.Food that promotes physical,mental and spiritual well being is what is termed Sattva.

Cooked food stored beyond 4 hours is deemed Un Sattva from what I had read in a book long back.Anything stored too long in a hot humid climate starts to putrefy and hence considered Tamas.

Milk used for rituals are not consumed..so it is fine if its not boiled..but milk that is to be consumed should be safe from any possible bacterial contamination hence boiling or pasteurizing is advocated.

Cows sometimes can have intestinal Tuberculosis(TB) which can be transmitted in their milk but upon boiling the TB bacilli is killed..pasteurization too kills TB bacilli. Drinking of unboiled unpasteurized milk is risky because we have no idea if the Cow had intestinal TB. I have seen patients in India(when I was there) die from intestinal TB because of drinking unboiled milk.

To pursue a spiritual path we cant afford to fall sick.

Thread Information