Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Meditation on Lord Shiva

Meditation on Lord Shiva

Namaste all!
    I wanted to know that in meditation of lord shiva or any other god what should we do? Means meditate on god what exactly mean and time n effect of meditation on god..?
    Waiting for you expert advice
    Thank You!!!

Re: Meditation on Lord Shiva

Start with His beej mantra HAUM
    Trust me this is the supreme beeja. It is called the "prasada beeja" the beeja of mercy. You will become god loved and you will radiate divinity and everyone in your vicinity will benefit from it

After you finish one lakh japas of HAUM you can continue with
    AUM HAUM JOOOM SAHA'
    which is the mahamrityunjaya beeja,the unbeatable mantra of destruction of death.

Another mantra is AUM HAUM NAMAH SHIVAYA

Also make sure you meditate on the linga form of the lord in the third eye ajna chakra kshetra(space between the eyebrow)

Thank you ganeshamylord,
    I'll follow this beej mantras while meditating...
    Om gam ganapataye namah

Namaste,

The basic mantra for meditation on Lord Shiva is OM Namah Shivaya. This is the beej mantra and is given in Sri Rudram, which is a part of veda-s (Taittiriya Samhita)

Initially you may gaze to Lord Shiva's photo or idol and keep the image in mind while chanting mantra.

Else simply chant his name for 5-10 minutes and then gradually increase the time by say 1 min. Some increase mantra by 5 number after each week. In this way you can gradually increase your time duration. 45 minutes should be the target. Later on the target can be increased.

You can take help of japa mala or you can chant without japa mala. There is no posture, but you should sit and chant in a comfortable position in early morning. Wake up early and push yourself until you you wake up at 3:30 or 4:30 in the morning.

Chant mantra as same place same time. When thoughts come, do not force mind to focus back on mantra. Simply be aware of thoughts, even though your mind may be full of thoughts. Explain yourself that this is not right time to solve any issues. I wish to chant the name of Shiva. Pray to Lord to take away all thoughts and fill you with divine thoughts of Shiva. Keep praying 4-5 times and then again start chanting mantra.

Start japa by praying to Lrod. Pray ot Shiva

Oh God I have come at your refuge, please accept me. Shower your grace.
    Give me intense desire for liberation
    Please guide me, myself and give me what is best for me

While meditating always have faith that Shiva will take care of everything including your body and Shiva is all powerful. Shiva will remove all thoughts and will fill the mind with bliss and Shiva tatva.

If too many thoughts come, take a break, leave the premises and come back after 1 min. Start again.

When you decide to leave meditation, then pray to Shiva to keep you immersed in him.

Always have faith the Lord who has created the universe and who is the supreme controller will always take care of you. Always have faith -Ishvara hai - God exists - Shiva always exists.

Do not try to force your mind to bring back focus. Thoughts are natural. Just be aware of thought and think that I am not thought, I am pure Consciousness, I am Shiva (auspiciousness, kalyANkArI AtmA). Thoughts cannot influence me. Only name of Lord Shiva will influence me.

Pray to Shiva, Oh Shiva take away all thoughts, take away all negativity and fill me with sattvik thoughts and sattvik bhAva (emotions)

After finishing medition (japa) pray to Shiva

O Shiva, thank you for your compassion, your guidance and your mercy. Please keep guiding me thought the life day and night. Please make me keep chanting your name. I should never forget you.

Then chant mantra 4-5 times and leave meditation.

If possible, sit in Shiva temple and chant his name. If not daily then atleast within a week visit temple when there is less crowd and chant Siva-nAma

You can keep a photo of Shiva in your pocket or in your drawer or in front of you somewhere in your room so that you can have a glance at him.

A simple 4'' x 6'' size photo is enough. You can to may not worship photo.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thank you amrut ji for illustrating, explaining the whole process....
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Aum is the promordial sound . It is the essence and substance of all manthras . It is very easy to do . Shiva is the embodyment of that manthra . So try to do Aum manthra which is the first step an last step in Shivaradhana . Best wishes .

Quote Originally Posted by saswathy View Post
    Aum is the promordial sound . It is the essence and substance of all manthras . It is very easy to do . Shiva is the embodyment of that manthra . So try to do Aum manthra which is the first step an last step in Shivaradhana . Best wishes .
    Namaste,

I know that Siva is connected with OM, still I would not recommend anyone to chant OM. OM will neutralize everything in your mind, be it positive or negative and will directly take meditator to the 4th state, which is above guNa-s. OM represents nirAkAra brahman.

If you have some desires left andare not ready to renounce them mentally, AND if you chant OM, then life will become hell. In meditation, OM will try to uproot that desire, and in practical life, you will try to achieve your dream.

I will not recommend chanting OM to anyone.

Namah Shivay

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Dear friend ,
    since you quoted -----
    '' Asathoma sathgamaya ,
    Thamasoma jyothirgamaya ,
    Mrithyorma amrithagamaya , ''
    I advised you to chant ' OM '. If sadhana is only a part of life , if it is meant for the realisation , rather materialisation of some materialistic things , then ' Om' is not suggested by the so called swamijis and babas .
    But to some one , who has burning thirst for the realisation of self , '' Om'' is highly recommended .

Quote Originally Posted by saswathy View Post
    Dear friend ,
    since you quoted -----
    '' Asathoma sathgamaya ,
    Thamasoma jyothirgamaya ,
    Mrithyorma amrithagamaya , ''
    I advised you to chant ' OM '. If sadhana is only a part of life , if it is meant for the realisation , rather materialisation of some materialistic things , then ' Om' is not suggested by the so called swamijis and babas .
    But to some one , who has burning thirst for the realisation of self , '' Om'' is highly recommended .
    Dear Friend,

Quotes are different They indicates your liking. They do not denote if a person has burning desire for liberation.

OM is not recommended for everyone. Mostly people following Advaita chant OM as the only mantra. There are yogi-s and tAntrik-s too who chant OM, but they concentrate more on energy or power connected with OM. Finally both reach same destination.

If our young friend has burning desire for liberation, then sooner or later his guru will find him.

I am meditating on OM since many years. What I wrote was my personal experience and info passed onto me.

Hari OM

Thread Information