Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian and Gluten Free

Vegetarian and Gluten Free

Vannakkam:

Gluten (found in wheat, but also in some other foods) intolerance is just coming to the forefront as a big dietary concern. Celiac's disease is a full blown gluten problem that causes nasty allergic effects. Many people, including myself have gluten sensitivity. (as opposed to allergy) In won't kill me, but it won't make me feel very great either. Side effects are long, but include bloating and an assortment of other intestinal ailments.

The world is slowly becoming aware of it, but in the third world it is still basically unheard of. In one discussion I had, a person claimed that was because it was regional in nature which isn't true. Mankind across the planet is equally affected. But it you're not aware of a problem, then it's not a problem. Meanwhile people suffer.

On my flight to Mauritius with Emirates, you could get vegetarian, Indian vegetarian, or gluten free, but not vegetarian gluten free. On the way there I ordered vegetarian, and could eat hardly anything, so on the way home I ordered gluten free. Other than some horrid looking piece of chicken flesh, the rest was fine.

Here's a website dedicated to the combination of both. http://simplevegetarianandglutenfree.com/

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Vegetarian and Gluten Free

There are definitely people who have legitimate problems with gluten, but it has become a fad in the health world to avoid gluten without any underlying medical condition. Gluten should not be a big dietary concern, unless someone has been advised by a medical professional to avoid consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    There are definitely people who have legitimate problems with gluten, but it has become a fad in the health world to avoid gluten without any underlying medical condition. Gluten should not be a big dietary concern, unless someone has been advised by a medical professional to avoid consumption.
    Vannakkam: Very true. My doctor advised to go off it for 2 to 3 weeks, then eat some and watch. This is common and simple way to diagnose quite a few food sensitivity issues. Lots of people don't even have the will or are too stubborn even to experiment. So we do have to watch out for faddish stuff. OTOH, doctors aren't necessarily the be all and end all of nutrition either. I've heard of some doctors who still think you'll die if you're a vegetarian.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Namaste Sahasranama,

It is not the gluten that is the cause of so many problems, but it is in the modern wheat. Wheat today is radically different than fifty years ago. This video may open your eyes. Our wheat is so bad it proved unusable for livestock, it made them sick, they had to return to spelt (original wheat). Modern wheat is something of a toxin with opiate-like qualities creating continuous hunger, and the prime cause of overweight and diabetes but also causing and aggravating mental disorders. Alas modern wheat is now used all over the world because it gives 5-10 times higher production.

It is best to completely stop eating modern wheat. If you want to use wheat you should use spelt instead. Spelt is the original wheat. by the way the gluten in spelt are different from modern wheat. Modern wheat is so radical different it even has different number of chromosomes.

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I've heard of some doctors who still think you'll die if you're a vegetarian.
    I am not a doctor but even I know that one day you will die regardless of whether you are a vegetarian or not.
    Sorry, could not resist.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

I am not a doctor but even I know that one day you will die regardless of whether you are a vegetarian or not.
    Sorry, could not resist.

Pranam.
    Vannakkam: You can always make me laugh. How about, 'should be dead by now' , 'cannot possibly make it through the month' 'will be sure to kick the bucket soon' , 'can't decipher why you haven't met your maker', ??

Diet is so controversial and undecided upon. I'd hate to actually care, and try to figure it out. Olive oil is bad for you. No, olive oil is good for you. Bad cholestoral, good cholestoral, fasting is good, fasting is bad. Try browsing this internet thingamajob, in case you haven't already. It's a mysterious place. Throw in a few agendas from food industry guys, and whoa, I need another Twinkie.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Have you ever had quinoa? It is like a grain kind of, but it is gluten free and high in protein and really good! It's become a staple for me since becoming vegetarian and trying to avoid all of the modern toxic food.

Just thought I would share. I had never even heard of it until recently.

Pranam.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Avyaydya View Post
    Namaste Sahasranama,

It is not the gluten that is the cause of so many problems, but it is in the modern wheat. Wheat today is radically different than fifty years ago. This video may open your eyes. Our wheat is so bad it proved unusable for livestock, it made them sick, they had to return to spelt (original wheat). Modern wheat is something of a toxin with opiate-like qualities creating continuous hunger, and the prime cause of overweight and diabetes but also causing and aggravating mental disorders. Alas modern wheat is now used all over the world because it gives 5-10 times higher production.
    nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by fem_phoenix1109 View Post
    Namaste,

Have you ever had quinoa? It is like a grain kind of, but it is gluten free and high in protein and really good! It's become a staple for me since becoming vegetarian and trying to avoid all of the modern toxic food.

Just thought I would share. I had never even heard of it until recently.

Pranam.
    Vannakkam: Indeed quinoa is excellent stuff. There is a farmer in Manitoba that grows it, and I've always pondered if I could buy a 100 lb sack directly from him. The cost differential between that and my standard long grain brown basmati is substantial.

But the fact that you just recently heard of it is an indicator of how slowly nutritional news travels.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Indeed quinoa has been around and is supposed to be good, but Kale; I am not totally sold on. I know it is off topic, but nutritionally speaking, to me it is one of the superior vegetable family items, rather a 'must eat' item. Our local grocery store has a museum/shrine of Kale in the produce dept. with different varieties in stock because the fad loving people who 'want to live forever' are willing to spend good money on it.

Pranam.[/quote]

Thread Information