Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hindu Morality

Re: Hindu Morality

Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    I think its wrong because it homosexuality harms, if you do unnatural things it harms you.
    Well, first of all any mature and sane person has a right to harm himself is he wishes to do so. No one should stop him unless it implies harm to others. It is his problem and not yours or mine
    Secondly, many things which are usually considered by moralists to be proper are in fact unnatural. Keeping celibacy is unnatural for example.

I personally would tolerate it too if it is not shown openly and if it is not promoted. I dislike most the gay subculture of the west with their tv programms, magazines,gay parades,festivals etc.
    Agree regarding promotion. However i don't think it's socially good to hide these things, as they only take more ugly and violent forms when hidden. Pedophilia and homosexuality among monks and priests is a good example.

Adultery is very serious too, you humble and harm your brother or sister if you have sex with his/her wife/husband.
    Wife or husband is NOT a property of her/his partner. If sex is done upon mutual feeling it is *natural*, that simple. I don't say it is better to have sex outside marriage (it may be or may be not), but state the right of any person to do as he/she wills.
    All this stuff around adultery was developed to keep people under control. It has nothing to do with religion and spirituality.

Regarding homosexuality, it is unnatural, but i don't see any reason why it should be taken as a sin or whatsoever. In Tantrism it makes difference, but many other Hindu philosophies should not have any troubles with homosexuality (if social matters are taken aside). Moreover, in some sects homosexuality is considered as normal, especially in north vaishnavism.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
    Homosexual act there is considered much less sinful than having sex with a person married to another! In scriptures U may find really weird stuff
    Why is this weird ?
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    Why is this weird ?
    In a case of homosexual act one goes against nature (Dharma) and in a case of so called adultery – against social taboos only (dharma). However both are OK if no himsa is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
    Well, first of all any mature and sane person has a right to harm himself is he wishes to do so. No one should stop him unless it implies harm to others. It is his problem and not yours or mine
    Secondly, many things which are usually considered by moralists to be proper are in fact unnatural. Keeping celibacy is unnatural for example.
    Ok if he really wants to harm himself we cannot stop him, but we must stop him from promoting that to others like gay parades, tv programmes,magazines etc...

Agree regarding promotion. However i don't think it's socially good to hide these things, as they only take more ugly and violent forms when hidden. Pedophilia and homosexuality among monks and priests is a good example.
    Depends on how do you define "hide"... People can know that he is a gay but he shouldnt show his gayness in the public and tell us how proud he is to be gay, thats my opinion.

Wife or husband is NOT a property of her/his partner. If sex is done upon mutual feeling it is *natural*, that simple. I don't say it is better to have sex outside marriage (it may be or may be not), but state the right of any person to do as he/she wills.
    All this stuff around adultery was developed to keep people under control. It has nothing to do with religion and spirituality.
    It is natural that people get jealous when someone tries to have sex with his mate. They feel harmed and humbled if their cheat on them. Only a minority would be content with his/her mate having sex with others. I think those people are disturbed, they lost their natural instinct. No wonder most cultures and religions have conscious that adultery is wrong. You admitted that hindu scriputeres also says that adultery is sinful.

Regarding homosexuality, it is unnatural, but i don't see any reason why it should be taken as a sin or whatsoever. In Tantrism it makes difference, but many other Hindu philosophies should not have any troubles with homosexuality (if social matters are taken aside). Moreover, in some sects homosexuality is considered as normal, especially in north vaishnavism.
    Sin is transgression of gods law, in the bible it is sinful, i dont know how it is in hinduism, i dont know all hindu scriptures but thats why im hear, to learn....

btw, some christian sects also consider homosexuality as normal
    "[I]O Indra, lead us on the path of Rta, on the right path over all evils[/I]."
    [SIZE=1]--RV 10.133.6[/SIZE]

[B]When i look into the mirror i see india, the land of aryans, the craddle of civilization, the mother of all religions.[/B]

5. Re: Hindu Morality

Hinduism do have a code of morality.

Our hindu bible is the bhagavat gita.

The 3 scientific rules which have been stated in the gita are-

1. Forgo anger; one should never be angry in life whatever the situations. You will see that by applying self control your brain will change. Instead of screaming and yelling which will not resolve any problems at all your brain will think about solutions. So you will arise and become a superior person from only forgoing anger.

2. One should forgo desire including material; one should work only to remain active in life without any worries about money and success. For instance instead of buying a mercedes car one should buy only a small car and give the rest of the money to people in need. Vegetarism in the hindu religion also originates from the need to forgo desire. The desire to please our pallet.

3. Forgo lust; Not only before marriage but also after marriage. Lust occupies more than 80% of a man's brain. You will see that by forgoing lust you will free your mind and will have much more time for other activities. For instance learning...thats how students become gold medalist!!

Thats all....you have only to apply these 3 rules to become a better person : ) But the gita states that even the strongest man on earth won't be able to adhere to these rule. Do you want to give it a try for only 21 days? : )

Thread Information