Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What will you do on coming ShivarAtri ?

Re: What will you do on coming ShivarAtri ?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    You have no idea how upset I am. There is all possibility that I won't even be able to perform a basic puja - I just don't have the energy and as doing very much at all hurts I don't think I'll be able to stand for the time it takes to read the Shiva Chalisa and sing the arti... I may have to turn my recliner around the face the altar...
    Oh, I can imagine. Turn your recliner, face the altar and read the Shiva Chalisa that way. The Lord certainly wouldn't expect a wheelchair-bound or bedridden person to get up. You are sick, He doesn't want you to suffer more, especially when He knows your intentions and devotion. Ahimsa applies to ourselves too. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if He does something nice for you.

Haven't heard this story before but it's yet more evidence that physical, outward puja is only really to help us. God is concerned more with what we are giving inside and how sincere we are then with any outward and flashy signs.
    Ya see!? Just keep remembering those flowers. Think of even a single rose. Mentally offer it to Lord Shiva that He may accept it and bless it.

I've heard this story before! But in the version I heard Narada was given a diya by Visnu and told to not let it go out while circumambulating the world. Just as in your version Narada is so intent on keeping the flame of the diya alive that he barely even thinks of Narayana.

Also, in the version I heard Narada asks why Visnu is crying and that is how the whole thing begins. (They are tears of joy, I believe.)
    Nine hundred million Hindus, nine hundred million tellings of one story.

Fingers crossed he does. While I was in hospital one of the things I missed most wasn't actually my computer or my home but my japa mala!
    I've done japa on my fingers. It took a lot of concentration, but it imparted a great feeling. You could also visualize the numbers 1-108 as you chant. Or just keep chanting as long as your strength holds. Then rest.

When George Harrison lay dying, with Olivia and Dhani, and others around him, he is said to have been reciting the Lord's names until he closed his eyes for the last time. I don't think he even had the strength to hold a mala, or do more than whisper the Lord's names.

If you could get up, I'd tell you to go to the chalkboard and write "Internal devotion, Internal devotion, Internal devotion... " 500 times.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

I just had to have one of my cats put down...

I don't think I'll be able to celebrate Shivaratri at all... I was going to do some japa and some aarti but... I can't. Not now...

Namast,

Divine Kala, then I will keep vigil and say some prayers for you too, for Him to bring blessing and comfort, and I'm sorry for your sadness in losing a part of your family.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Namaste and warm hello Divine Kala,

I will gratefully join Indraneela, and am sure others, and you will be thought of and many prayers offered. I am sorry for what you are feeling at this moment. I will pray for your understanding and comfort.

Please take care of yourself in see that that you are going through other trying times.

A prayer for your strength as well, Divine one.

FFTW

रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

I spent a very long evening at our Temple and it was awesome.

Because I was sick with pneumonia I decided to go to the doctor Saturday to make sure I would not be germy. I recieved the oki fine that I would not give out an illness to others. So I fasted, but still drank because I have been so ill. This worked very well and we were very welcomed by our community here.

Warning*** Backstory****

My Beloved husband met a man 9 years ago at his work, in another city many miles away. Years pass and we not see him again. We moved...then the man also moved to the very huge city about 120 miles away.

We ran into this man a few years ago at tabla concert with Ustad Zakir Hussain and Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma. Out of about 140 tickets, he bought the ticket to the seat next to my husband. He kept looking so intently at us...and says "I think I know you!" He did! So he invited us to the Temple to show us around. Now, at the time I was still very much struggling between the two cultures. Wish to rid myself of much of this culture...yet also hesitant to pick up another in trade. Also, I felt this man was unsure what we were all about. It seem strange to have a woman with 8 children, 3 feet of platinum blonde hair come down off a hill one day and begin seeking Beloved Shiva & not to mention very tearful at temple in gratitude which also probably was odd. The man was very busy and forgot to contact us back....and I suppose we didn't seem too important. At the time I remember saying that I felt he was to help us in some way...and that I could not shake that feeling.

A year ago...

My husband come home from work and say a wonderful Indian woman is hired. It was Diwali week and I tell him, please wish her Happy Diwali as the office is very staunch xtian and not many friendly faces when it comes to such things. So Beloved Hubby go to her and wish her well. She is very happy to hear well wishes for Diwali and they talk about Beloved Shiva a long time. So a long while pass...and this woman go home to her husband and speak to him of these conversations and then tells her husband the name of my husband...and this man...is the very same man who we knew in a city miles away...from nine years ago....who then we sat beside at tabla concert....

Now, his very own wife come to us.

You could discount perhaps the first coincidental meeting...but I have to say sometimes Beloved's Hand is so very profound upon our fates....

This is one of those very wonderful times when you know He is very Here!

Last night, we scrunched into the heap of Beloved's Portions upon the temple floor, singing the bhajan with everyone, and just melted away for many hours.

Then the very sweet priest come up to us and take our hands to welcome us too.

In the end when we were all departing....this Beloved Family who became our guardians of sorts say to not be so long again to come. I tell him that we can not, or the next time Beloved may send a daughter of ours to work with his daughter to remind us our place. This world is so very silly.

But, can not deny Beloved's message when it comes so truly clearly, evident.

Happy Shivaratri, Beloved...Beloved EveryThing<3
    Last edited by NayaSurya; 20 February 2012 at 10:57 AM.

Vannakkam: We went, with a dear old friend from 40 years, who adopted Hinduism at the same time as us. None of the three of us knew when we would want to come home, so oddly enough, we took all 3 vehicles. The long 7 PM puja concluded around 9 ish, and then there was a pause, but some of us wanted to sing, spontaneously, so it started with 3 people, then 5, then 8, and soon it was about 30, singing our hearts out with simple bhajans. We sang until 12 PM, the beginning of the second puja (mostly abhishekham). Around 1:30 my wife and friend left, but I stayed alone for another half hour or so, just to sit in the peace, and after effect.

About 10 people were taking a break in the basement hall, as I left, and they planned to stay the night, until about 7 AM.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 20 February 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Namaste,

Shiv Shankar Bhagwan ki Jai.
    Om Namo Shivaye!

Pranam.

Namaste friends,

My own celebration of Shivaratri this year will be quite humble indeed. A modest abhishekam of the Lord and then mantra japa. It's a pity I wasn't able to arrange some offerings of flowers and fruits for Shiva, but the words of the other members on this forum have comforted me in knowing its the love in my heart for God that always matters most.

Divine Kala, I'm very sorry to hear about the death of your cat. I hope to include you and the welfare of my other dear brothers and sisters in my prayers tonight. May the joys and blessings of Bholenath be upon all souls.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Sorry DK as fellow cat owners some of us clearly understand what you are going through.

Happy Shiva Raatri to you all.

Thread Information