View Poll Results: Would you like to see a Sanskrit & Vedic forum here?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 80.00%
  • No

2 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sanskrit and Vedic Forum

Re: Sanskrit and Vedic Forum

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Vedic is the language of the vedas, as opposed to classical Sanskrit of the post-vedic literature.
    I now see where the conversation was headed ( thank you).
    I have been thinking of pāṇini's rule bound approach to saṃskṛtā which some call ~ classical~. This is rules for both spoken (bhāṣā) and compositional (vaidikī). This contrasts to vedic saṃskṛtā , that of the ṛg ved, etc.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 28 March 2012 at 11:48 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

namaste Sahas,
    Is there any point in moping around like this and trolling the thread?

Would you like to take a bitter pill with that attitude? I can make your life easier and end your pain if you would like. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    I think it is a nice idea, but it is not practical in this environment. HDF is not so much about learning, but about giving a positive representation. If you post the correct meaning of Sanskrit texts here, you risk getting banned
    Last edited by satay; 27 March 2012 at 11:11 PM.
    satay

Namaste Amala, Yajvan and all,

I think we have quite a few members here who can help on Samskrit ( I too may help to some extent) though none of us are really "expert".

So, anyone may pose the problem he is facing in Samskrit and I am sure some help will be available.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

namaste Amala and everyone else.

IMHO, the main objective of saMskRta-shikShaNam--Sanskrit-learning for a sAdhaka--seeker, should be to get at the purport and meaning of Hindu religious and spiritual texts, in a bid to progress his/her sAdhana--spiritual efforts.

• In addition, with some familiarity and comfort level with the language, we could eventually get to read (parts of) the itihAsa-purANa texts as well as Sanskrit secular texts such a KAlidAsa's kAvyas--epics, and enjoy the literary, sensuous and aesthetic nuances in them.

• Although Sanskrit is the spoken language of the entire population of at least two villages in India, GOI regularly broadcasts/telecasts a Sanskrit news bulletins, there are Sanskrit newspapers and magazines, and insitutions like SaMskRta BhArati strive to teach Sanskrit as a spoken language, fluently reading--rather than speaking--Sanskrit could be our main aim, IMO.

I feel that Sanskrit-learning may be done through different threads in the existing nAgarI subforum. I think it could be more helpful to approach learning Sanskrit from the literature to the grammar, rather than the other way around.

• As a first step, we might collect QuickRef tables/flash cards about Sanskrit alphabets, numerals, saMdhi--conjugation, vibhakti--case, and other areas of vyAkaraNam--grammar in a separate thread.

• It would be very difficult to memorize all the rules of grammar before reading any serious text of Sanskrit, so our approach could be to have a glance at them as necessary and start learning by analysing Sanskrit text, starting with simple and popular shlokas and moving on to texts such as the bhagavad-gItA and the upaniShads. Since audio files of most shlokas can be found on the Net, this would take care of the uchchAraNam--pronunciation, part of the texts.

• In all our learning efforts, it is very important that we must strive to read and write Sanskrit using devanAgarI lipi--alphabets, rather than depend on transliteration. As for writing Sanskrit, while we must practice it on paper to get the feel of writing in devanAgarI proper, for typing our posts on the Internet, my recommendation is to use a transliteration scheme which is free of diacritical marks--such as ITRANS or Baraha, since these schemes are closer to the original IMO.

• Baraha is a very good Indian language software, as it facilitates writing in different Indian languages, using a transliteration scheme which is akin to the ITRANS scheme. The package also supports unicode, so it's ideal IMO.
    http://www.baraha.com/

• As for Sanskrit unicode fonts, althogh the default Windows font (lathA) is good enough, Sanskrit 2003 is much better.
    http://www.sanskritweb.net/itrans/

Let us understand that none of us here in HDF are literate enough to teach Sanskrit, so our learning could only be by interaction, with all members who seek to learn the language to try their hands by asking questions and trying to provide answers.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Namaste,

I wanted to share something my teacher and I are working on. This is an example of what I'd like to share in a forum here.

Namaste,

Also, we have been working on reviewing आत्मनेपदिप्रयोगा:, तकारान्त forms which lead into present participles.

The only way to get any language in one's head is repeat repeat repeat... This would be an added place for people to post new sentences that others could practice reading and where questions could be asked about grammar and why do it that way and not another. It's not so much the point to make sure everything is absolutely correct; it's the journey that is the way to scholarship. One must enjoy the study... the more the better.

Thread Information