Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A perfect example of Christian narrow-mindedness

Re: A perfect example of Christian narrow-mindedness

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    I don't know which sage you're referring to (not saying you're wrong, I just honestly am not aware of this saying).
    Sri Ramakrishna:

"I have practised all religionsHinduism, Islam, Christianityand I have also followed the paths of the different Hindu sects. I have found that it is the same God toward whom all are directing their steps, though along different paths. You must try all beliefs and traverse all the different ways once. Wherever I look, I see men quarrelling in the name of religionHindus, Mohammedans, Brahmos, Vaishnavas, and the rest. But they never reflect that He who is called Krishna is also called Siva, and bears the name of the Primal Energy, Jesus, and Allah as wellthe same Rama with a thousand names"

Paramahansa Yogānanda also wrote in his Aims and Ideals for Self-Realization Fellowship/Yogoda Satsanga Society...

To point out the one divine highway to which all paths of true religious beliefs eventually lead: the highway of daily, scientific, devotional meditation on God.

McKitty may also be referring to the "ekam sat viprah bahudha vadanti... " verse of the R.V. 1.164.46
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

There is no end to human stupidity and better not be agitated by such people who are fooled into by their egoistic beliefs. It serves you nothing and arguing with such people can continue till the end of time. Your peace of mind is too precious to be wasted on such silly fools.
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

namaste,

That is how evangelicals convert Hindus to Christianity. It's not by hellfire preaching. Evangelicals talk Hindus out of Hinduism and into Christianity. It's friendly, it's polite, and it's uttrly insidious.
    So true. I have seen this in action. It can really be tricky if you are not paying attentioin to their plan.
    satay

Namaste Chris (Tandava),

I lived in Britain during the first half of nineties and was darn‘impressed’ with islamist militancy even those years and noticed almost none of that from the majority faith. The ignorance about Hinduism was ubiquitous though, but then it didn’t bother me much. Paradoxically, their (Brits’) hearts were bleeding for muslims who were ‘suffering’ everywhere on the planet, well, up until 911 attacks I think. Once I entered USA in mid 90s the difference was immediately obviousto me, not the ignorance part about Hinduism which was much worse, but the fact that large swathes of people here are quite convinced about the literal hell (for non Christians) and heaven for after life. Later I found out the underlying reasons for all this.

A couple of weeks ago I watched a documentary online that explains it all, and a lot more. Why people have such a difficulty to extricate from the c word and j word here? It is because of the relentless indoctrination that’s ongoing here. The summer camp and a bit more shows how the kids are routinely taken thru the guilt trip sowing the seeds of lifelong loyalty to their savior. I think this potential danger forms the basis for Richard Dawkin’s pragmatic demand that kids shouldn’t be indoctrinated and instead be allowed to live free of faith until maturity at which time they can opt for their chosen faith. There is an urgent need for implementation of that policy here in USA.

The below video, showcasing the model of evangelization of small kids (mind you there is no abuse here, it is clean and not in anyway objectionable), at least to me was acutely bothersome.

PS: I like your blog.
    Last edited by satay; 17 April 2012 at 10:16 PM.

Admin Note

namaste charitra,
    I have removed the link as I don't want search engines to come to this site when people search for that topic. Please PM to Chris.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Namaste Chris (Tandava),
    The below video, showcasing the model of evangelization of small kids (mind you there is no abuse here, it is clean and not in anyway objectionable), at least to me was acutely bothersome.

PS: I like your blog.
    satay

Namasté,

That is a great font that blog is using! From the source code, it seems to be Skolar, created specifically for "scholarly" writing and ease of reading. I have to say, the typeface certainly achieves its goal. That was the most riveting non-information I've ever read.

I think I'm going to take my own blog - which is dedicated to Indra and all of his "wacky satanic teachings" - and change it to that delicious scholastic font, so that the content is even more accessible.

Thanks, person with scary blog!

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Namaste Chris (Tandava),

I think this potential danger forms the basis for Richard Dawkins pragmatic demand that kids shouldnt be indoctrinated and instead be allowed to live free of faith until maturity at which time they can opt for their chosen faith. There is an urgent need for implementation of that policy here in USA.
    charitra,
    Richard Dawkins' demand will never be considered. Young minds are quite impressionable and church nor any evangelical group will never wait for kids to grow up and then teach them their silly and baseless doctrines or ideologies. And once a kid belongs to church the kid belongs to church forever. In one of his documentaries 'Roots of Evil' where he interviews an elderly woman..she still fears at the word of hell. That's the power of mind and social conditioning. Felt bad for her. It's sad to see their freedom taken away.

satay,
    Not just evangelicals I have seen with many sects of christians. My grandmother and her family (matriarchal) are christians, I remember several instances of my grandmother demeaning Hindu gods..only christ is great..blah blah. Got many more examples to share..lol. Really glad I'm not one of them.

All I hope is that their good karma takes care of their life as you can't undo the great damage done to such young minds.
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Sri Ramakrishna:

"I have practised all religionsHinduism, Islam, Christianityand I have also followed the paths of the different Hindu sects. I have found that it is the same God toward whom all are directing their steps, though along different paths. You must try all beliefs and traverse all the different ways once. Wherever I look, I see men quarrelling in the name of religionHindus, Mohammedans, Brahmos, Vaishnavas, and the rest. But they never reflect that He who is called Krishna is also called Siva, and bears the name of the Primal Energy, Jesus, and Allah as wellthe same Rama with a thousand names"

Paramahansa Yogānanda also wrote in his Aims and Ideals for Self-Realization Fellowship/Yogoda Satsanga Society...

To point out the one divine highway to which all paths of true religious beliefs eventually lead: the highway of daily, scientific, devotional meditation on God.

McKitty may also be referring to the "ekam sat viprah bahudha vadanti... " verse of the R.V. 1.164.46
    Ah yes, I do remember the Paramahansa Yogananda quote now that you mention it. I haven't heard the one from Sri Ramakrishna before. As for the one from the Rig Veda, I would point out that the idea of truth being one and paths many certainly doesn't mean that all paths are true.

Anyway, thanks for supplying the references.

Namaste.

I would point out that the idea of truth being one and paths many certainly doesn't mean that all paths are true.
    You are quite correct. Thanks for pointing that out; 'tis worth remembering. There is only one God and one Truth, but not all paths lead to It. A "religion" (cult, if you will) that performs human sacrifice cannot be said to be on a path to God.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

I would point out that the idea of truth being one and paths many certainly doesn't mean that all paths are true.
    Very true. Educated Hindus parrot that view all the time. It has been drilled into them by well meaning Swamis over the last 200 years. Some sort of colonial mindset in my opinion. Bobby Jundal in an interview says the following:

The main tenets of the Hindu faith involve two basic beliefs. The first is that all souls earn their way into nirvana, a state of blessedness, through good deeds........ The second tenet is that all religions are equally valid paths to the same God. This strips one of the right to criticize any set of religious beliefs, including those of cults and other extreme groups. Thus, God is not concerned with having His followers believe in truth.

For those interested to dig more I recommend reading "Do all religions have the same goal" by Swami Dayananada. You can google it and read the lecture.

Thread Information