Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Protocol

Breaking Protocol

Vannakkam:

I am wondering if anyone here has faced similar problems. The other day our temple manager shared this story:

We have a sign at the entrance that prohibits cameras, cell phones, encourages silence, says no shoes, etc. The other day, not during a crowded time, this guy is taking pictures with his camera. The manager politely goes up to him and mentions that we don't allow the taking pictures, and says there's a sign outside about it.

The fellow basically says, "I don't care. I'm taking pictures anyway," and continues.

Besides the obvious rudeness and disrespect, I wonder what temples do or can do within the law when this happens. If you wear your shoes blatantly into a mosque or light up a cigarette inside a Christian church, is there any legal precedent. Do we have the right to call the cops and/or ban people?

I sort of felt like taking down the guys license plate, finding a lawyer, and doing something. At the very least some letter reprimand by the board of trustees. At least that might keep the guy away in the future.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Breaking Protocol

obviously the guy deserved to be kicked out .

sorry if im going into a bit different topic , but your thread prompted me to ask this question to all .

im always intrigued by this 'no photography' thing !

why cant we take pictures of our loved gods ? some temples obviously house ancient deities which demand 'protection' from illegal antique dealers and thieves . so their case can be considered .

but what about the other temples ?

i think this is one among those injunctions that developed in 19th century as a result of contact with british and european ideals . just like cotton threads are not allowed in garlands coz they were from european firms !!!

does anyone have a logical explanation to this norm of not allowing photography ?

sambya: I can think of several reasons, of which none or all may be valid..

1) it is disruptive to other worshippers
    2) it destroys the mystical sanctity of the temple
    3) it does not respect the privacy of the Gods
    4) its like paparazzi, just plain rude
    5) British took pictures to mock Hinduism.
    6) You have to be there in person to get darshan correctly. A picture doesn't cut it.

Of course we do have in some instances, 'approved' pictures when the overseers of a temple take a really high quality picture to give as souvenirs or to devotees to take home.

Aum Namasivaya

Photographs of Hindu temple images in many cases do not bring out their glorious details as do portraits. Check, for example, the fabulous portraits of an artist called Silpi from Tamilnadu in this Website: http://artistshilpi.blogspot.com/

Type Silpi in google image search for a ready glance at his portraits. There were other famous artists like KoNdaiah RAju and Gopulu whose portraits of Gods and Goddesses are framed and used in pujas at Hindu homes.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

A bone-littered nest in the bottom of a pit deep in the jungles of Amesbury, Massachusetts.

I'll have to keep this thread in mind and ask about taking pictures next time I visit a temple, I'm planning on bringing a camera and showing the pictures to a friend of mine who says they may end up becoming hindu eventually from exposure to me. I'd hate to find out I can't take pictures to show them.

Ashvati:

Temples will vary. Please ask the management before taking pictures. That would be the courteous thing. Lots of temples wouldn't mind, I'm sure. I was just speaking about mine. But the issue goes farther than cameras. My belief is you respect the protocol in any given temple. For example, in my temple or in any South Indian style temple, I prostrate fukll out, bt when I go to a North Indian style temple, I just go on my knees. I know some temples that insist on Hindu dress, although hey are rare here. At Tiruchendur in India men arwe required to remove shirts, as if they were shoes. They won't let you in unless you do.

Aum Namasivaya

Cool Re: Breaking Protocol

Namaste All,

EM G,

I accept your thoughts mostly the sixth point

6) You have to be there in person to get darshan correctly. A picture doesn't cut it.

But soory to say that I do not understand other points

Mostly that are prohibited to photography are available in shops and stores, like If you go to Vaishno Devi in Jammu, you will find the Pindi Darshan photos in the market

dose this

destroys the mystical sanctity of the temple or
    it does not respect the privacy of the Gods or
    its like paparazzi, just plain rude or
    British took pictures to mock Hinduism.

But this type of

3) it does not respect the privacy of the Gods

is more embressing

Sorry for this but I am writing about those points that I can't understand

Vannakkam Lalkar:

I was just expressing reasons that I have heard of. I wasn't speaking for myself as if I believed in each one.

As I understand it, it is a bigger issue in South Indian temples. Since you are from the North, it may not be so prevalent there. Perhaps Devoteeji can help as he has lived in both areas.

Regardless of what I personally think, I certainly believe in respecting the rules of a particular temple, home, or country. When in Rome, .... .

I'll look around a bit on the net for answers.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

EM G

and Thanks for your reply

in many cases , as i have seen in north , the dictum( no photography ) is simply a way to promote the sales of the deities picture from temple commitee's office !!

Thread Information