Thread: Worship to Lord Brahma

Worship to Lord Brahma

Namaste, i try to understand one thing, why in the scriptures( of cuz i dont know scriptures well) we find different referenses about worship to Lord Vishnu, Siva and others manifestations of Brahman but nothing about Lord Brahma? If tri murti is Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma why in panchayatana puja we have Vishnu,Shiva Ganesh,Devi,Surya only? I'm confused.

Re: Worship to Lord Brahmā

Namaste Vamana,

The Panchayatana system used by Smartas, which includes the worship of Shiva, Vishnu, Devi, Ganesha and Surya, all as different forms of Saguna Brahman, is derived from the traditions of five separate sects each with their own body of Agama texts – Shaiva, Vaishnava, Shakta, Ganapatya and Saura. Some say there were other classes of Agamas too, which may have included Agamas that considered Brahmā as the primary Deity, but those sects and their Agamas have long since disappeared. This may have something to do with the absence of Brahmā worship.

Note that even the Ganapatya and Saura traditions have been absorbed, and no longer exist as independent sects. Today, we have only the Shaiva, Shakta and Vaishnava branches. In each of these theological branches, the primary Deity, Shiva, Shakti and Vishnu respectively, is viewed as Supreme and source of all others, including Brahmā, the creator of the universe. Brahma has thus become the secondary Creator.

Also note that per Vedanta theology, Brahmā is equated with Hiranyagarbha, the Golden Germ, which gave rise to the universe, and not with Ishvara, who is the Supreme Lord and the source of Brahmā.

Worship of Brahmā is far more popular today in Theravada Buddhism, than in any form of Hinduism. However, one could say that worship of Brahmā is implicit in Hinduism when the Lord (Ishvara) is worshipped either as Shiva or Vishnu.

Brahmā in Bangkok, Thailand.

OM Shanti,
    A.

Re: Worship to Lord Brahma

Namaste Agnideva
    Thank you very much indeed for explanation.Now it is more clear to me. It's seems so mystery the disappearance of those sects but anyway...
    Also note that per Vedanta theology, Brahmā is equated with Hiranyagarbha, the Golden Germ, which gave rise to the universe, and not with Ishvara, who is the Supreme Lord and the source of Brahmā.
    However, one could say that worship of Brahmā is implicit in Hinduism when the Lord (Ishvara) is worshipped either as Shiva or Vishnu.
    This is important remarks for me. Thank you.

Re: Worship to Lord Brahma

In Shiva Purana we have a story where both Vishnu and Brahma try to locate the beginning and end of Lord Shiva. Vishnu accepts his inability to do so, and Lord Shiva is pleased and confers on him the ability to do so. But Brahma lies that he was able to do so - and is cursed by Shiva to be avoided by people. That is why Brahma is not worshipped.

But it is a fact that Brahma worship was there even till the 5th century A.D because varahamihira explains the construction of the murtis of brahma. There is still a temple for brahma at pushkar in Rajasthan.

There is no reason why some one should not worship Brahma, and I am assuming that it still exists in the form of Sarasvati. ( we still celebrate Sarasvati puja during navaratri festivals)
    He is the one on whom our hope depends. For if Hanuman survives, all we though dead are yet alive. But if his precious life be lost though living still we are but dead: He is our hope and sure relief -Jambavan (Yuddha Kanda. 74). Impossibility=Hanuman

Thread Information