Thread: Reading does not = comprehension

Reading does not = comprehension

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste sahaja ( 'together born')

Have you noticed lately that many posts are cut 'n paste from somewhere else? While I Make no judgement on this, I do have an opinion and ask you for your assessment of this.
    It is based on a very simple principle: Reading (something) doe not insure comprehension. That is , the 'jewel' that one may see in writings usually is completely different for another's eyes.

May I make a recommendation?
    If one posts something of this nature, please help us appreciate the 'jewel' you see... the insight, the delight, or the issue to see, and if you wish to discuss.
    If we are to be a forum, that suggests discussion, insight, postive debate (vada) and purpose ( prayojana). If we wish to post some thing , for ones reading pleasure, that is fine. Lets ask Satay to add a 'Libary section' for this, and then the posts/prose/poetry can be posted for ones viewing pleasure.

Let me know if this rings true with you, if you have other assumptions, or if I have a blindspot on this.

pranams.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Reading does not = comprehension

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste sahaja ( 'together born')

Have you noticed lately that many posts are cut 'n paste from somewhere else? While I Make no judgement on this, I do have an opinion and ask you for your assessment of this.
    It is based on a very simple principle: Reading (something) doe not insure comprehension. That is , the 'jewel' that one may see in writings usually is completely different for another's eyes.

May I make a recommendation?
    If one posts something of this nature, please help us appreciate the 'jewel' you see... the insight, the delight, or the issue to see, and if you wish to discuss.
    If we are to be a forum, that suggests discussion, insight, postive debate (vada) and purpose ( prayojana). If we wish to post some thing , for ones reading pleasure, that is fine. Lets ask Satay to add a 'Libary section' for this, and then the posts/prose/poetry can be posted for ones viewing pleasure.

Let me know if this rings true with you, if you have other assumptions, or if I have a blindspot on this.

pranams.
    Library is fine, but must be used for better than cut 'n paste material. The library could be a ready reference to scripture in sanskrit with translations/explanations by many schools and authors.

For massive cut and paste, the forum name "Borrowed Brains" would serve better.
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

I agree with sudarshan's comments. This mass posting is again spam and I only allowed this person to 're incarnate' with another id to see what other members think of the posts.

All of his posts will be deleted and user banned shortly as we all know where the source is and we already have a link to that source in our dharma related sites.

shri yajvan, this is the kind of thing/activity what I was alluding to in my posts in the 'value of this forum' thread.
    satay

For now, I will leave this junk/spam here for anyone to reply to if you would like. If no one cares about it, by Monday it will be deleted.
    satay

Namaste Yajvan,

Libraries are helpful for understanding and there are plenty of them available on the internet already. One always has the option to provide a link to such a library, so we can visit these libraries at will and read at our convenience. Besides, this entire forum is a library in a way - a library of different peoples thoughts on given subjects - which is archived on the internet.

I am all for positive debate and healthy discussion. We can have discussions in our own words, as weve been having, and borrow information from websites, scriptures and gurus as we see fit. However, when we have multiple cut-and-paste jobs from a single site or a single persons teaching, then it becomes a problem, especially when the poster herself/himself does no discussing, but posts more such messages in response to our questions and comments. Such a person, in my mind, is doing nothing but evangelizing. I dont believe that is what this forum is for.

Regards,
    A.

'evanlegical' or missionary activity of any kind is against the rules of this forum.
    satay

I agree with Satay when he suggests that the posts should be deleted. Many of them do not provide a point of view which is what I was hoping to find (in addition to insights, support, answers to questions, etc) here.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,
    you all have spoken wisely and with the intent for HDF to be an uplifting location to share good works....

While cut 'n paste fills up space, it is empty of the the things that would stir the soul.

Thank you,

pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    Libraries are helpful for understanding and there are plenty of them available on the internet already. One always has the option to provide a link to such a library, so we can visit these libraries at will and read at our convenience. Besides, this entire forum is a library in a way - a library of different people’s thoughts on given subjects - which is archived on the internet.
    Sometime back there was a discussion about having a database on temples. I remember to have suggested that links rather than actual data would suffice for such purposes. Since no library can be exhaustive or exclusive, it is better to have links sold information that are either scriptural or otherwise enhance our spiritual knowledge. This will also reduce the data space of the forum.

Thread Information